Indiana 150g tall basement build

AMBER NICHOLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi gang!

I am currently finishing my basement. Building in a 150g deep with fish room behind it. Room has drains, sink, RO, dehumidifier, storage, and 2 dedicated circuits (more if needed we had to drop a subpanel so lots of space). Starting FOWLR and plan to go from there. I have the tank already. I am just waiting for construction to finish. (Est completion late August) I am posting my equipment/supply list below. I am going to try to find some used pieces to help break up the initial cost.

Equipment list:

Tank - Deep Blue 48-24-30
Lights - Kessil ap700
Sump - Bashesea 361818
RO-DI - Koolermax I have RO at basement bar too
Skimmer - eShopps S-200
Pump - ecotech vectron L1
Gyre - Maxspect gyre XF250
Heaters - Cobalt neotherm X2
Monitoring - Apex Controller System
Plumbing - 1 return follow Bean Animal. I am struggling here. Tank has 2 overflows built in but I do not want to run 2 return pumps.
Live Rock - part live and part dry
Dry Sand -
Power heads - may need in future
ATO - DIY
Water Reserve - DIY with trash can
Auto Feeders - not necessary now
Battery backup - need research/advice

Supplies:
EVA foam
QT tank - 55g on hand for long term. need to find a used 20g for medicating
Refractometer - need a good one
test kits - for back up
probes - future for apex
copper and medications - future
filter socks diy- need to buy fabric and do more research
cheato algea for refugium - aquarium clubs?
back up heater- cheapo
air stones and piping- cheapo
cheap grow lights -on Amazon I have some
IMG_20180501_172321.jpeg
IMG_20180511_210027_533.jpeg
IMG_20180628_112415.jpeg
IMG_20180502_140339.jpeg
IMG_20180427_155741.jpeg

Kyle Rinker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi gang!

I am currently finishing my basement. Building in a 150g deep with fish room behind it. Room has drains, sink, RO, dehumidifier, storage, and 2 dedicated circuits (more if needed we had to drop a subpanel so lots of space). Starting FOWLR and plan to go from there. I have the tank already. I am just waiting for construction to finish. (Est completion late August) I am posting my equipment/supply list below. I am going to try to find some used pieces to help break up the initial cost.

Equipment list:

Lights - Kessil ap700
Sump - Bashesea 361818
Skimmer - eShopps S-200
Plumbing - 1 return follow Bean Animal. I am struggling here. Tank has 2 overflows built in but I do not want to run 2 return pumps.
Dry Sand -
ATO - DIY

Supplies:
EVA foam
test kits - for back up
probes - future for apex
back up heater- cheapo
IMG_20180501_172321.jpeg
IMG_20180628_112415.jpeg
IMG_20180502_140339.jpeg
IMG_20180427_155741.jpeg
Looking great! Always happy to see another Indiana person here. We seem to be outnumbered [emoji1]

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a great equipment list. I would recommend you spend a few extra dollars on a digital refractometer when you get to that point. Hanna and Milwaukee both make good ones, and it is much easier than using the manual ones.

Kyle Rinker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Indy area! I am loving all the folks at The Reef they have made some great recommendations and resources for my own research.
Glad to hear! I am north of you by about an hour, close to Marion. Unfortunately there aren't any great reef stores in Marion, but if you ever want the hottest coral around for unbelievable prices, there is a store near Muncie that will rock your world!

OP
OP
AMBER NICHOLS

AMBER NICHOLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the basement construction nears the end. I have been shifting my focus back to my tank and have thought of some things I could use advice on.

In a basement I assume it is not advised to drain your old salt water into your ejector pump/pit. Has anyone had experience with them corroding from the saltwater? What other ways can I dispose of that much water from a basement?

Starting to think of getting water in the tank in the next few weeks. I have changed my mind and am going to do all live rock. At minimum to cycle I need: sump, return pump, heater, rocks, water, sand and plumbing. Do I need lights now?

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume when you say ejector pump/pit you are talking about what is called a sump pump in my area. I would not dump the saltwater down there as I would think the pump would not last long. Plus it may not pump it where you want the saltwater to end up. Mine would pump it out under my car and I would not want my car to be subjected to that. I dump mine down the utility sink. If you do not have a utility sink, you could dump it down a toilet.

You definitely do not need lights to cycle. Depending on the rocks you use, you may want to cure it for a while to allow it to release phosphate. It can prevent algae issues later on.

gonzo620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’m in Lebanon! Up 65 30 minutes or so. Indy is pretty saturated with shops too. Modern Aquatix on the south side. Central Indy aquatics right around the corner of the Reef. Uncle bills in greenwood has a good reputation. There’s a few other cats around us that are very active on the forum. @4FordFamily Carmel and @HotRocks Westfield.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Cool build please keep us posted! I’m in Carmel, as mentioned by another Indiana member :)

OP
OP
AMBER NICHOLS

AMBER NICHOLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume when you say ejector pump/pit you are talking about what is called a sump pump in my area. I would not dump the saltwater down there as I would think the pump would not last long. Plus it may not pump it where you want the saltwater to end up. Mine would pump it out under my car and I would not want my car to be subjected to that. I dump mine down the utility sink. If you do not have a utility sink, you could dump it down a toilet.

You definitely do not need lights to cycle. Depending on the rocks you use, you may want to cure it for a while to allow it to release phosphate. It can prevent algae issues later on.
Hey there!

An ejector pit is similar to a sump in that it pumps away from house. The big difference is the sources. Sump pumps rain/ground water. Ejector pumps away to sewer lines below grade toliets, showers,etc. It is not something I want to mess with going out! Stinky mess. I am concerned because all of the drains go to it in the basement. I am hoping that if I water it down with tap it won't be an issue.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
AMBER NICHOLS

AMBER NICHOLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’m in Lebanon! Up 65 30 minutes or so. Indy is pretty saturated with shops too. Modern Aquatix on the south side. Central Indy aquatics right around the corner of the Reef. Uncle bills in greenwood has a good reputation. There’s a few other cats around us that are very active on the forum. @4FordFamily Carmel and @HotRocks Westfield.
Yay! Thanks for the introduction! I am loving all the reading on here.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ryan Kouns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi gang!

Equipment list:

Lights - Kessil ap700
Sump - Bashesea 361818
Skimmer - eShopps S-200
Dry Sand -
ATO - DIY

Supplies:
EVA foam
test kits - for back up
probes - future for apex
back up heater- cheapo
IMG_20180501_172321.jpeg
IMG_20180628_112415.jpeg
IMG_20180502_140339.jpeg
IMG_20180427_155741.jpeg

what computer program are you using to mock your build?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back