Indirect flow frag tank

d.fast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have for a while studied and wished for a wider and more gentle flow. But I don't wish to sacrifice the power, just eliminate any "hot spots" or powerful jets. I saw a very inspirational video from the German shop Panta Rhei where they had a tank with a false bottom and a very promising flow. I have finally started constructing my own such tank. It is not fully active yet but shows a lot of promise.

01 FTS.jpg

Here is a shot of the front. It's a 112 liter tank, 80x35x40 cm in size. It is sunken down into the stand though. This is optional, I just wanted to have it sunk for the looks. The tank is not completely filled yet. It will be plumbed into a larger system later. Also ignore my patch by the bulkhead, I cracked the glass while drilling.

02 Upwelling.jpg

Here is a view from the top with the current switched on. The flow is provided by two Tunze 6025. The flow turnover rate will then be 44 times every hour. You can see the flow rising from the bottom on the right and it is then dispersed and flows back to the pumps, the corals will never be in the direct flow of the pumps, just the aftermath. The flow will of course change a lot with more water in the tank. It is looking very promising though. The glass pane is white to provide better reflections from the bottom to give better light.

03 Top view no bottom.jpg

Here is the top with the false bottom removed, please excuse the reflections in the surface. The bottom will be empty, just the streamer pumps and a clear path to the other side. There is enough space to add a third pump or put in bigger pumps. The flow will be completely one directional. A laminar flow. A cool feature to add would be to add two more pumps at the other end of the tank. Then you could switch the flow a few times every day. With controllable pumps and a computer you could also pulse the flow.

04 Side view no bottom.jpg

Here is a view from the side without the false bottom, there are two glass runners lengthwise which the false bottom rests upon. This make maintenance much easier, I can also adjust the length of the bottom, I may have made it slightly too short. But I can just add a small extra piece and fix that. I might also consider adding egg crate over the pumps and exhaust end in case I want to add fish to the system. But this will most likely not have any fish, I will keep mostly frags in here.

05 Side view bottom.jpg

Here is the side view with the bottom in place again. This tank solution should be great for filter corals and creatures as well. Because you can add food to the water column and it will continue to flow by the corals again and again. There should be very few dead spots where food and detritus might settle. The flow to the sump will be kept a a very low level. There is no need for a high flow to the rest of the system.

Has anybody else experience with this kind of setup and any unforeseen troubles I might have to tackle?

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how unique corals has their flow set up too. I always thought that was really cool. But there’s one problem, some corals develop deformities with this method.

OP
OP
d.fast

d.fast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can imagine, this should be where the option to reverse the flow every now and then should help out. Or just moving the corals around regulary should work in a frag tank like this. In a viewing tank you would probably have to invest in finding a solution to vary the flow more at specific intervals. Although I suppose that would affect stony corals the most. I mainly keep soft corals, but they tough might grow into quite weird shapes in the long run :)

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reminds me of fancy convection ovens with the heater elements tucked away. Nice build.

Reversing would be a neat trick, I guess it depends on how long the frags will be sitting there and how many extra pumps you'd want to buy :)

OP
OP
d.fast

d.fast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the reverse option would be nice. Although I probably won't have it in this build, because of the way I built the stand I can't fit the magnets on the outside on the other end. Would probably be best with controllable pumps. Then you could do a nice schedule:

Start -> Ramp up -> Ramp down - > Complete stop -> Start opposite side - > Ramp up -> Ramp down -> Complete stop

And then repeat this cycle. Sort of like a tidal flow.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 34 35.8%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 51 53.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.2%
Back