Indo Closing Again?

reefsean03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been hearing rumors Indo would shutdown again and today I heard from someone it’s going to close the end of this month. Anyone else hear about this?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
New permits to collect coral is the issue. Part of the compromise back in 2010/2011 involved the total and scheduled ban on harvesting corals from wild reefs in 2021 while dealers and exporters shifted their efforts towards only farmed corals. So a law placed on the books ten years ago is now coming into effect but there’s a degree of pushback from the community of coral collectors and exporters who are trying to make the case that since their operations were suspended for two years, they should be afforded two more years of business as usual.
We are already well into 2021, and shipments of wild corals have continued using the remaining CITES permits for the quota from last year, 2020, but no new CITES permits have been issued for 2021 because of the law on the books. To be clear, as far as we know all of these impending regulations only relate to wild corals but not for farmed corals, new 2021 CITES permits have been issued for cultured corals.

Brad Waddell Wrath's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New permits to collect coral is the issue. Part of the compromise back in 2010/2011 involved the total and scheduled ban on harvesting corals from wild reefs in 2021 while dealers and exporters shifted their efforts towards only farmed corals. So a law placed on the books ten years ago is now coming into effect but there’s a degree of pushback from the community of coral collectors and exporters who are trying to make the case that since their operations were suspended for two years, they should be afforded two more years of business as usual.
We are already well into 2021, and shipments of wild corals have continued using the remaining CITES permits for the quota from last year, 2020, but no new CITES permits have been issued for 2021 because of the law on the books. To be clear, as far as we know all of these impending regulations only relate to wild corals but not for farmed corals, new 2021 CITES permits have been issued for cultured corals.
This one of the best explanations I have seen or heard on Indo. Most ppl do not understand CITES and how it works. Thank you!

Lucky Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like after June 30th 2021 the last of the 2020 wild indo cites will no longer will be usable and no wild cites have been issued for 2021. Cultured corals have 2021 cites and will still come in but things that cant be cultured like Trachy and Acanthophyllia and cynarina will stop being exported.

Australia also has these corals but the variety isn’t as good.

sssky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like some shops still getting new Acantho shipments. Wondering what is going on

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back