Indo Export Update

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Email from one of my suppliers:

Hi Dr. Mac,

This email is to let you know that the issuance of Health / Veterinary Certificate for corals in Indonesia has been allowed, thus resuming coral export - in this case cultured corals.

Only cultured corals are allowed for export at this initial stage. Health Certificate will be issued and obtained, after the exporters pass some mandatory procedures. One of the key procedures is the inspection done at the exporter’s farm facility by the Fisheries Agency officer, 1 week prior to shipment. Corals to be exported are those to be inspected and checked. It means our business partners cannot just ask and get our shipment as quickly as in the past. Not at this initial stage.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually like their approach. Instead of an all-out ban, they are encouraging coral aquaculture. My hope would be that some work would be put into developing techniques for aquaculturing a wider variety of corals than have been undertaken in the past.

I do wonder if they mean aquacultured or maricultured corals when they use the term "cultured".

Robsk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Of the 4 exporters I regularly work with in Indonesia they say end of January or beginning of February before they will ship and available stock will initially be limited.
THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!

There are so many threads with people thinking all of a sudden indo corals will be super cheap and immediately available!

I appreciate you clearing this up for a lot of us!!

Filipabp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, can't wait to see them back at our LFS, and I think encouraging aquaculture instead is a good idea. Thank you for the good news! :)

Joe's 220 Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised this is not bigger news as it is major! I also like the approach that they are taking. Ensuring we are sustainable is really important and crucial for future generations of reefers

U

User1

View Badges
Word from same supplier:

Every wild corals price will be up around 30-40% from last time 2018 price

Did they say why that is? At face value and initial read that makes no sense.

Behind the scene it could be due to license and/or other new or hidden fees.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also be there the only game in town so they can raise prices. Or they want to make the most before it closes again. The market has been conditioned for higher prices so now would be a smart time to raise cost. Not many will notice or say anything because they are just happy to have it open again.

I fear the lower prices everyone talks about are a thing of the past. Here's to hoping I am wrong.

Back