Indo pacific farms?

DanInMichigan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank isn't even set up yet. But I am trying to do it safely and be very careful about not introducing something nasty into my tank since there is no second chances with a parasite infestation like Ich. So, if IPSF has to be quarantined, I hope to do it right from the start and follow the no-fish protocol in my DT until enough time as passed. Do you think its practical to introduce some of these items before the full cycle is complete? I am hoping that I could "ghost feed" the tank, feed the critters, and complete the cycling, and quarantine ISPF critters all at the same time.
I have a separate quarantine tank ready to set up, but would like to use that concurrently for the first fish.
is this approach reasonable?

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank isn't even set up yet. But I am trying to do it safely and be very careful about not introducing something nasty into my tank since there is no second chances with a parasite infestation like Ich. So, if IPSF has to be quarantined, I hope to do it right from the start and follow the no-fish protocol in my DT until enough time as passed. Do you think its practical to introduce some of these items before the full cycle is complete? I am hoping that I could "ghost feed" the tank, feed the critters, and complete the cycling, and quarantine ISPF critters all at the same time.
I have a separate quarantine tank ready to set up, but would like to use that concurrently for the first fish.
is this approach reasonable?
I would finish the cycle, then introduce the inverts to the DT and QT fish in the separate system like you said.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone goes through the hassle of quarantine it wouldn't make sense to then use untreated NSW. I think that the chances of infection are lower than a fish system of course but if they're pumping NSW on a constant basis there is absolutely a chance you can get some free swimming parasite coming in and attaching to the shell of an invert then getting transferred to your system. If you run a so called "immunity" tank then go for it, but if you're trying to prevent parasites entering your tank, this would be another entry point to consider.

Their entire business is dependent on maintaining healthy populations... don't you think a "Farm" would be more worried about introducing a catastrophic parasite than a single hobbyist? My point is that, I can't just assume they are using "untreated" sea water... maybe it's run through powerful UV... BUT I could be wrong.. I'd really like to know their philosophy here...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back