OP
ReefWithCare

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! What are your impressions with the mud?

Hard to tell since it all went in. Pods were huge. They didn’t give you much mud though. My malanarus has eaten all the hermit though [emoji79]. The snails may not last long as well [emoji24]. The mini stars and bristle worms have been most impressive so far

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell since it all went in. Pods were huge. They didn’t give you much mud though. My malanarus has eaten all the hermit though [emoji79]. The snails may not last long as well [emoji24]. The mini stars and bristle worms have been most impressive so far
Hopefully whatever was in the mud will continue to multiply. Despite what we can see with our eyes, its the microbes we want.

Good 'ol malanarus ;Hilarious;Facepalm

OP
OP
ReefWithCare

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully whatever was in the mud will continue to multiply. Despite what we can see with our eyes, its the microbes we want.

Good 'ol malanarus ;Hilarious;Facepalm

Yeah, they are a blessing and a curse. They wipe out most coral pests - but then can wipe out most CUC members and cleaner shrimp xD.

DanInMichigan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s silly to ask - but do I need to worry about pests or parasites with their inverts? Several of the inverts they sell I don’t think you can QT like worms so I was wondering. They haven’t responded to me.

I had exactly the same question, and exactly the same results. I asked, using the email address from their web site, about quarantine recommendations and was met with silence. It's possible that it's a question that they simply don't want to go on record responding to.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They have been around a very long time and I have never heard of anyone getting a pest. They used to be very popular too at one point.
No matter what you buy or no matter where you buy from there always is a risk even if it is very little.
Me I am not concerned with quarantining anything from them? Most of what would hitchhike along would be a bonus for the biodiversity of your tank..

DanInMichigan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been around a very long time and I have never heard of anyone getting a pest. They used to be very popular too at one point.
No matter what you buy or no matter where you buy from there always is a risk even if it is very little.
Me I am not concerned with quarantining anything from them? Most of what would hitchhike along would be a bonus for the biodiversity of your tank..
As I understand it, Ich can come in with the snails. and could also live in substrate (ie: live sand starter, miracle mud). If this is a possibility with IPSF then that would require a fishless quarantine.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of IPSF, they are by far my preferred vendor for cleaners. Great product and value for the money. I have snails, worms, pods, crabs, stars, macro algae, a couple LPS coral, mud, and probably other stuff from IPSF and I've never seen a pest. In previous tanks I wasn't so lucky and had wild caught clean up crew bring in some nasty algae.

20190207_092907.jpg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever order from them? I was looking for other stuff than copepods. They sell a number of things but their website is all sketch with no real pictures and no shopping cart system.

I don’t see any pictures and their combo packs are a little confusing. Also had a question on their snails and if some of these things need to be QT’ed because I got the impression some of this stuff was wild not true aquaculture
I have been ordering Online for over a decade, one thing I have learned is do not call the number of any website and give a live person your credit card info not good. it can become a headache. Just watching your back comrade

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you'd like to do a shopping cart, their facebook page has one, no facebook account needed. I've ordered several times and usually use their website order form and PayPal. Gerald sends an invoice shortly after you fill out the form.

OP
OP
ReefWithCare

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

Sorry that I hadn't updated in a while. So I did order and receive the IPSF order. Everything came in great and no pests or parasites to report.

The worms and brittle stars did not survive though. They were quickly eaten by my dottyback and wrasses. Several hermits were also taken out by my wrasses, but about half of them are running around the tank now and do not go after the snails. The snails are a little dumb though. They routinely crawl out of the tank and can up on the brace of the tank and I have found one or two moving on the floor of my living room. They also cannot flip themselves over so keep that in mind as well. The Ulva was pretty lush, and eaten mostly by the pods and my rabbitfish. I haven't experienced more growth from it like you would with cheato though. I have TONS of pods. It's not even funny they are all over the place. I could literally harvest a sizable batch each week to sell at this point.

The live sand activator did eliminate my Dino issue. I credit the final wipe out of them primarily due to that. I have dropped to 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates after the activator was put in, but the dinos did not come back.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I understand it, Ich can come in with the snails. and could also live in substrate (ie: live sand starter, miracle mud). If this is a possibility with IPSF then that would require a fishless quarantine.
They really don't do fish mostly a clam farm. So there would need to be any chance of Ich coming in on a shipment.

DanInMichigan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They really don't do fish mostly a clam farm. So there would need to be any chance of Ich coming in on a shipment.

Unfortunately, if their web site is accurate, they use sea water:

"The farm is fully plumbed with warm surface sea water and cold, nutrient-rich deep sea water. Over 50,000 gallons of natural seawater are pumped through the facility daily."

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An you don't see a lot of ich in the ocean more a something you see in captive fish due to stress.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An you don't see a lot of ich in the ocean more a something you see in captive fish due to stress.
You can't be serious. Just because a fish doesn't show symptoms doesn't mean it doesn't have a subclinical infection. If their system uses NSW and you run a quarantined system, you should definitely be quarantining whatever you get from them.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do what ever makes you feel good. But they are selling copepods and items out of their clam systems and really not going to get ick from that. In that case everyone who uses NSW for water changes should be worried.:)

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do what ever makes you feel good. But they are selling copepods and items out of their clam systems and really not going to get ick from that. In that case everyone who uses NSW for water changes should be worried.:)
If someone goes through the hassle of quarantine it wouldn't make sense to then use untreated NSW. I think that the chances of infection are lower than a fish system of course but if they're pumping NSW on a constant basis there is absolutely a chance you can get some free swimming parasite coming in and attaching to the shell of an invert then getting transferred to your system. If you run a so called "immunity" tank then go for it, but if you're trying to prevent parasites entering your tank, this would be another entry point to consider.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s silly to ask - but do I need to worry about pests or parasites with their inverts? Several of the inverts they sell I don’t think you can QT like worms so I was wondering. They haven’t responded to me.

At this level of diversity, if you are worried about parasites, I suggest you leave it alone.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back