Indonesia wild coral ban end of 2024?

leemont

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know its been a thing for basically 10+ years now but I was watching the recent reef bum livestream with Chris Meckley from ACI aqua culture and he basically says 2024 is the end of wild coral export for Indonesia. After looking into it it seems this actually has merit as the exporters were asking the government to give them until 2024 in 2021to fully switch over to a mariculture business.

If this is true doesn't this basically end Indo Acanthophyllia, Indophyllia, Cynaria, and other solitary corals in the trade? Also how likely is this an actual thing thats going to get passed versus the exporters and collectors convincing the government to extend the deadline again?

If this does come true I know it leaves the whole captive spawning but that seems to be in its infancy and those who are successful are going to charge even more for an already expensive type of coral.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know its been a thing for basically 10+ years now but I was watching the recent reef bum livestream with Chris Meckley from ACI aqua culture and he basically says 2024 is the end of wild coral export for Indonesia. After looking into it it seems this actually has merit as the exporters were asking the government to give them until 2024 in 2021to fully switch over to a mariculture business.

If this is true doesn't this basically end Indo Acanthophyllia, Indophyllia, Cynaria, and other solitary corals in the trade? Also how likely is this an actual thing thats going to get passed versus the exporters and collectors convincing the government to extend the deadline again?

If this does come true I know it leaves the whole captive spawning but that seems to be in its infancy and those who are successful are going to charge even more for an already expensive type of coral.
The overall majority of all imports are already maricultured though.
As far as I know it is rare nowadays to get an actual real wild frag.

OP
OP
L

leemont

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overall majority of all imports are already maricultured though.
As far as I know it is rare nowadays to get an actual real wild frag.

they seem to have basically anything that can be fragged growing my concern is the slow growing and single polyp corals those cant really be farmed

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they seem to have basically anything that can be fragged growing my concern is the slow growing and single polyp corals those cant really be farmed
Ah I get it. You worry about the single lps corals like scolys ect. Yes they are harder to breed but if the farmers are using offshore maricultures it shouldn't be impossible. I think some of them can also be fragged.
If this works with scolys it should also theoretically work with Cynarias ect right? Just an idea.

Brittanyjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting this. I've been wondering about it too. This is the second time I have heard 2024 ban mentioned in podcasts. My understanding is this affect mostly Cynarines, Acanthophyllia, Indophyllia, scolies, lobos and Trichophilia's. Does anyone know other solitary corals collected in Indonesia? A simple search shows me we can still get many of these from Australia but my understand is the colorations is different.

Anyone have more information on the difference between Australia and Indonesia solitary polyp corals?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back