Induced Voltage, ground probe, Bamboo shark

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, since my Bamboo shark is acting a little weird since a few days, i did some research.
I am sure that he has flukes, but just wanted to be 100% Sure.
So often with bamboo sharks comes words like stray voltage.
So i did test my tank, without my probe.
I got 56V, 240V System (germany)
I did removed every Equipment, but always get Voltages like 6V, or 11V.
So of course i was a little worried.
Some Research later, there is a difference between stray voltage and induced voltage.
I build an RCDi unit by myself and checked every Equipment solo on the rcdi unit.
All fine, rcdi didn't went of. RcDi unit is wired correctly and works when i build a fail myself.

so i am Sure it is just induced voltage.
Since i start today the medication with prazipro, i wanted to know what stresses a bamboo shark more?
Getting rid of the induced voltage with the probe and create so a current flow, or remove the probe and only use it when working in the tank.

There are some differences with and without the probe plugged in, but i can't Tell if it is Imagination or just a coinsident that the start to swimm then.
No strange behaviour from the other fishes, except 2 columbian sharks. The have the same symptomes, yawning often, coughing, mouth stretching and head shaking and flashing.

Hope to get some input here. Already searched this forum, but everybody has a different opinion, but there are sensitive fish and not so sensitive. I would count the bamboo as sensitiv.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, since my Bamboo shark is acting a little weird since a few days, i did some research.
I am sure that he has flukes, but just wanted to be 100% Sure.
So often with bamboo sharks comes words like stray voltage.
So i did test my tank, without my probe.
I got 56V, 240V System (germany)
I did removed every Equipment, but always get Voltages like 6V, or 11V.
So of course i was a little worried.
Some Research later, there is a difference between stray voltage and induced voltage.
I build an RCDi unit by myself and checked every Equipment solo on the rcdi unit.
All fine, rcdi didn't went of. RcDi unit is wired correctly and works when i build a fail myself.

so i am Sure it is just induced voltage.
Since i start today the medication with prazipro, i wanted to know what stresses a bamboo shark more?
Getting rid of the induced voltage with the probe and create so a current flow, or remove the probe and only use it when working in the tank.

There are some differences with and without the probe plugged in, but i can't Tell if it is Imagination or just a coinsident that the start to swimm then.
No strange behaviour from the other fishes, except 2 columbian sharks. The have the same symptomes, yawning often, coughing, mouth stretching and head shaking and flashing.

Hope to get some input here. Already searched this forum, but everybody has a different opinion, but there are sensitive fish and not so sensitive. I would count the bamboo as sensitiv.

Induced voltage is of no concern - the fish are not grounded, so there is no potential, no current flow. For the same reason, birds can perch on uninsulated powerlines and not be harmed.

When you say Columbian sharks, do you mean sea catfish?

I'm not familiar with EU electrical circuits, but in the US, a good grounding probe and a GFCI circuit can help protect people from electrocution.

Jay

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Induced voltage is of no concern - the fish are not grounded, so there is no potential, no current flow. For the same reason, birds can perch on uninsulated powerlines and not be harmed.

When you say Columbian sharks, do you mean sea catfish?

I'm not familiar with EU electrical circuits, but in the US, a good grounding probe and a GFCI circuit can help protect people from electrocution.

Jay
It's definetly induced voltage.
But what is better for the Bamboo? Sitting in water with 56V or with grounding probe 0,001V?

Columbian Sharks=Arius seemani

I am aware that a probe can safe lives, but it is no Problem for me to put it in when i am working in the tank, if thats better for the Bamboo shark.

I attached the Video of the bamboo swimming at the surface, may have a look Jay.
Nh4: 0, No2: 0, no3: 10-20, po4: 0,1, salinity 33,2ppt, temp 24 Celsius, ph 8.3, kh 9.3

I am Sure that he has flukes. That would explain why he has good days and some low days, going by the fluke cyclus.

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
Look what i just found floating in my tank. what the heck is that?

20220723_175031.jpg

Attachments

• 20220723_175103.mp4
    21.4 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
Look what i just found floating in my tank. what the heck is that?

20220723_175031.jpg

That does not look like a fluke. However, I can't say if this is a parasite, or just some free living organism. Could you see segments on this worm? If so, then it is more likely an annelid - possibly a marine leech. If so, praziquantel won't work - you would need to try formalin dips.

Jay

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stray current in the water can cause disorientation, lack of appetite and general restlessness in sharks and rays.

I had a pump fail in a skimmer and didn't know it had been putting current in the water and one of my bamboos died.

The only thing that was a signal was a couple days before, it stopped eating and was doing log rolls. It stopped and I didn't pay any more attention to it until I found the shark dead and got a tingle when I went to pick her up.

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you see segments on this worm? If so, then it is more likely an annelid - possibly a marine leech. If so, praziquantel won't work
Not really, but it was very small so i can´t tell if id had segments or not, but it died from Prazipro instant.
added Prazipro yesterday, so much stuff started to float around then, but smaller than the one in the picture and other worm like shape. Fish looked more chilled after a few hours.
i´ll watch how they behave the following days and keep you updated. :)

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stray current in the water can cause disorientation, lack of appetite and general restlessness in sharks and rays.
I knoiw, thats why i tested and it is not Stray Voltage, it is induced Voltage.
SO crazy stuff like rolling around, did not happen with my shark. it was more small hints. often yawning, mouth stretching, coughing. Problem was the head shaking and body scrubbing, sometimes hit hard an rock or bottom, so that was the point when i started to realize i have to do something asap.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back