Inexpensive light for 10 gallon coral quarantine tank?

Jorda320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have never owned corals before and I've decided that since I'm going to be investing a decent amount of money and time into this hobby I would make sure I did as good of a quarantine as possible. I have a pretty good idea of what to quarantine for and what to treat for as well as adding flow, feeding, dipping Etc.

My only real area of concern is how to light this in the most budget-friendly way. I have a 10 gallon QT tank and I'll probably keep them under observation for at least two to three months. This will be for LPS and softies only. Since I'm not really going for growth or maximum coloration in this little tank I just wanted to see if anybody knew of any inexpensive lights that would sustain healthy Coral?

I was hoping that a small 12" Nicrew Led light would be enough as I will only have two or three Corals in here at a time Max. (only 37 gallon display so not too many coral total). Any DIY that I could pick up from a hardware store would be great

Any thoughts?

Cyricdark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 10 gallon your water is so shallow that pretty much any light you pick up is going to be good enough you could even use a freshwater light and just put a 6500 K daylight bulb in it the corals colors wouldn't look the best under it but they would grow and be healthy. EBay is full of little 18 inch lights for around 20-30 bucks that consist of blue and white LEDs they're typically not good enough for deeper saltwater tanks because they don't have very much penetration but they would be fine for what you're doing

OP
OP
J

Jorda320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 10 gallon your water is so shallow that pretty much any light you pick up is going to be good enough you could even use a freshwater light and just put a 6500 K daylight bulb in it the corals colors wouldn't look the best under it but they would grow and be healthy. EBay is full of little 18 inch lights for around 20-30 bucks that consist of blue and white LEDs they're typically not good enough for deeper saltwater tanks because they don't have very much penetration but they would be fine for what you're doing

Super! Ill take a look at ebay tonight. Thank you very much

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do this one as well: abi tuna any wattage reef bulb. $26 grows any coral including high end sps. Amazon has em

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Racecars&reeftanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a hipagaro led light I bought off Amazon on my 10 gallon qt. It did the job for about 12 to 16 sps inside. I think it was about $60.

Back