Infected toadstool?

I_Got_Crabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tyree toadstool has not been well lately. I have seen it shed before and this seems different. It started with a blotch in the middle of the coral, and the blotch has spread and now even the stem looks discoloured. The flesh is still pretty firm which I suspect means its still alive, but I havent seen any polyp extension for over a month. I suspect it may have been stung by a gorgonian it was close to...

Any advice? I have treated it with coral defense in case its a mircobial infection.

Params are fine. Every other coral in the tank is fine.
20190124_204845.jpeg
20190124_204931.jpeg

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pests visible on it? Mine was like that for the first month I had it and I found out one of my nems stung it. I did a iodine dip moved it to the other side of the tank and within a week it opened up. 1 year later and it has grown at least 4x it's original size.

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen that before with mine. When I had a large green sinularia growing next to it the toadstool stay closed and developed a film like that. I moved it to a different part of the tank with the same medium/high flow and it went back to its normal self in a week. I would suggest moving it away from the gorgonian and place it in a good flow area.

OP
OP
I_Got_Crabs

I_Got_Crabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: The dip in coral defense seemed to help. The brown spots cleared up and then it started to shed. I think it was a bacterial infection or a sting from another coral.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back