Sick toadstool, worried about infecting others.

CrimpShrampy

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 19, 2025
Messages
6
Reaction score
2
Location
Massachussets
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, I have a long polyp pink toadstool that I purchased over a year ago. It’s been a really frustrating journey. It was doing well for a few months, then it wouldn’t extend its polyps fully, and I determined that this was because it was getting stung by GSP. I removed the GSP from its base but acidentally cut the coral in two. One half (the bottom part of the accidental frag) has recovered and grown a new crown. Doing well. The larger part seemed to be recovering then suddenly refused to extend polyps and shriveled up. Yesterday I noticed little holes and discoloration around its stem and crown. I’m worried about parasites. I preformed a dip last night, which it did not like. There are quite a few discolored areas around the coral.

If I am indeed looking at parasites here, is there any hope for this coral, or should I remove it from the tank to prevent whatever this is from spreading to my other healthy corals (including one healthy green toadstool on the other side of the tank)

Thank you so much for your insights!

Pictured: the unhealthy coral pics 1-3 and 4, my healthy green toadstool on the other side of the tank.

IMG_3381.jpeg IMG_3382.jpeg IMG_3383.jpeg IMG_3386.jpeg
 
Hey folks, I have a long polyp pink toadstool that I purchased over a year ago. It’s been a really frustrating journey. It was doing well for a few months, then it wouldn’t extend its polyps fully, and I determined that this was because it was getting stung by GSP. I removed the GSP from its base but acidentally cut the coral in two. One half (the bottom part of the accidental frag) has recovered and grown a new crown. Doing well. The larger part seemed to be recovering then suddenly refused to extend polyps and shriveled up. Yesterday I noticed little holes and discoloration around its stem and crown. I’m worried about parasites. I preformed a dip last night, which it did not like. There are quite a few discolored areas around the coral.

If I am indeed looking at parasites here, is there any hope for this coral, or should I remove it from the tank to prevent whatever this is from spreading to my other healthy corals (including one healthy green toadstool on the other side of the tank)

Thank you so much for your insights!

Pictured: the unhealthy coral pics 1-3 and 4, my healthy green toadstool on the other side of the tank.

IMG_3381.jpeg IMG_3382.jpeg IMG_3383.jpeg IMG_3386.jpeg
By your pictures it looks like bacterial or parasitic. I know there a good bacterial dip/treatment that I can’t remember the name of so let’s ask the experts! #reefsquad
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new