Information requested regarding Sailfin Fairy Wrasse, a new species

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think mine bother any fish, however, I have a lot of wrasses. None of my other fish have problem. 3 flame angels, two small regal angels smaller than my male Flame angel, Purple, Yellow ,and Powder Blue tangs, several Leopard wrasses, Mandarin pair, and a bunch of wrasses.
Thanks! That's good to know! She is in my observation tank with a small juv Gold Lightning maroon. They just seem curious of each other.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After several years, I can confidently say that this is a hardy, beautiful wrasse that is well suit for Large tanks. in a 320 DT with a numbers of other wrasse he grew from lowest on the totem pole to one of the undisputed dominate wrasse of the tank.
No color lost with normal reasonable diet. I hate to see what he does to more timid wrasses in a small tank.

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other wrasse would you say are hardy?

After several years, I can confidently say that this is a hardy, beautiful wrasse that is well suit for Large tanks. in a 320 DT with a numbers of other wrasse he grew from lowest on the totem pole to one of the undisputed dominate wrasse of the tank.
No color lost with normal reasonable diet. I hate to see what he does to more timid wrasses in a small tank.

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine currently is swimming around during feeding time without eating...do these eat pods?

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey @OrionN I noticed you mentioned having the carpet in there. Granted you have a very large tank, but any real issues with "darty" wrasses in a tank with a carpet? These guys are easily spooked and just asking to dart into a carpet as dinner.

My 5 flasher/fairies are now in QT and I'm thinking about temporarily removing my carpet when I introduce for a couple weeks. Hoping that'll be enough time for them to learn the tank enough that I can safely return a carpet and minimize lose.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @OrionN I noticed you mentioned having the carpet in there. Granted you have a very large tank, but any real issues with "darty" wrasses in a tank with a carpet? These guys are easily spooked and just asking to dart into a carpet as dinner.

My 5 flasher/fairies are now in QT and I'm thinking about temporarily removing my carpet when I introduce for a couple weeks. Hoping that'll be enough time for them to learn the tank enough that I can safely return a carpet and minimize lose.
Sorry, I did not see this until now. My wrasses never got caught by my carpets. Fish loss (due to carpets) is extremely rare in my tank.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Np. I covered my carpet for a week when I introduced those wrasses anyways to be safe. So far no losses except for a jumper that got through my top. Thanks

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back