Information requested regarding Sailfin Fairy Wrasse, a new species

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common name Sailfin Fairy Wrasse, is a new Fairy Wrasse species that yet to have a Scientific name. I recently acquired a male. He was sold to me as a Tono's Fairy Wrasse, which clearly is not. I would like to find our more about this species. From my research, this is a hardy and very beautiful fish but tend to be somewhat aggressive as far as Fairy wrasse concern. They may loose color if not stimulate by females or rival male wrasses.
Here are two pictures of my wrasse. As beautiful as he is on these pictures, He is much better in real life. Certainly he is one of the most beautiful fish I have seen.
If you keep this wrasse, I would love to have you share your experiences.

SailfinFW2018011901.jpg

SailfinFW2018011902.jpg

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. He is doing very well and eating flakes food in addition to frozen mysis. Out all the time also

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tape a mirror on the side of the tank and he flashes off on on at his reflection. This Wrasse is on the agressive side. I hope this will help keep his color. I will try to do this several hours each day.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you experience much aggression towards your other fish, increase the flow in the upper portions of your water column. Doing so is fairly effective at differing aggression from wrasse. Was there anything more specific you wanted to know? +1 to @saltyhog

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no aggression in my tank right now. He does not bother any other fishes, nor they bother him. From my research, I find that unless he flashes other wrasses or having females with him, he likely loose color, especially the bright vivid color and the blue throat. The mirror is not to defuse the condition of the tank, rather, it is a way that I use to stimulate him. Show him rival males so t speak. This, I hope will help him keep his coloration.
My research indicated that this species is rather aggressive toward other Flasher and Fairy wrasses.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no aggression in my tank right now. He does not bother any other fishes, nor they bother him. From my research, I find that unless he flashes other wrasses or having females with him, he likely loose color, especially the bright vivid color and the blue throat. The mirror is not to defuse the condition of the tank, rather, it is a way that I use to stimulate him. Show him rival males so t speak. This, I hope will help him keep his coloration.
My research indicated that this species is rather aggressive toward other Flasher and Fairy wrasses.

While the rest of your research is spot on, I don’t believe Blue throats are terribly prone to fading color. @eatbreakfast or @evolved may be able to chime in if I’m wrong.
Either way, a mirror is never a bad tool to use when keeping highly active wrasse.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasse is doing fine. He flashes regularly with his image. Not only him but my two Flame angels, and my Yellow tang also.
In this tank, I have one Gigantea anemone, and two Magnifica anemones. I hope he will be able to navigate away from the Gigantea easy and not become anemone food. I am not too worry about the two Magnifica. They never, in my 20 years of keeping them, eat any healthy fish. Gigantea is another mater. They can be a voracious fish eater. Keep my finger cross

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little Sailfin Wrasse today. Quite colorful even without flashing. Eating well and really out going all over the tank. His L pectoral fin got brush against my Gigantea. He was strong enough to get away but took a tentacle from my Gigantea. Hope it stung him enough to get him to learn that the Gigantea is dangerous.

SailfinFW2018012401.jpg

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a Gigantea tentacle stick to the L Pectoral fin. Thr anemone in the picture is one of my two Magnifica in this tank in addition to the Gigantea.
SailfinFW2018012402.jpg

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is one beautiful but aggressive wrasse. I took him to the LFS to trade him for 1/3 of a Eight Line Flasher wrasse. Will pick up the Eight line today. A female. I hope she will do well and will change sec for me quickly

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one of these in my main tank for a few months along with a handful of other fairy wrasse. It's a huge tanks, so certainly that helps, but ive seen very little aggression from it. That's the good news; the bad news is that it's completely lost the blue throat.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He'd look great, crispy on my floor after he jumped out.....knowing my luck. Lol

I do ok with the fairy wrasses, but gave up on flashers for exactly that reason.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm be so afraid it would be so aggressive, that it would chase my children around the house and they wouldn't get any homework done.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my Bluethroat is doing beautifully in my 320 with about 20 other wrasses. No problem. He is exceptionally beautiful and is getting fat. I trade my first on back in 5/2018 for an Eightline Flasher. I recently got another one from Petco. This one was in the store for 3 months and color all faded out. He regain his color quickly and is getting fat in my tank. I feed my tank 6 times a day. Frozen with flakes AM and PM. Automatic feeder 4 times during the day, every 2 hrs.
My Bluethroat regain his color as soon as I have him in my DT with two Flame Angel. I think the coloration is all mood dependent.
Here he is in my DT. Full and colorful. So far so good. No significant aggression.
BluethroatFairy2018081702.jpg
BluethroatFairy2018081701.jpg

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was straight evil. Give it a big tank if you have other wrasse. He went to a 240g after I got rid of him and he got along well with a bunch of other wrasse -- Not so much in my tank, and he wasn't even the big one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.4%
Back