Initial fill for new tank

sarimus

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 24, 2026
Messages
12
Reaction score
20
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all
NOOB question
I have filled my 450 litre tank with RO water, the tank has live rock and carb sea sand. At the moment the sump is empty so I’m ready to add water and turn it on.
My question is, how do I add the salt to it.
Can I just make up a 20 litre bucket and add enough salt for say 400 litres then when it’s all dissolved just pour it into the tank then wait a few days and add more salt if needed.
Thanks
Trevor



IMG_1673.jpeg
 
Well you killed the bacteria on the live rock and sand, well depending on how long you have had the tank filled with only RO water. Salt water bacteria depending on strains can last longer periods or some are short periods in fresh water. I don’t think the sand and rocks will have issues cycling once you get new bacteria dosed in tank.

So you can mix concentrated salt to fill the tank with as you remove RO water from the tank.
 
if there is no CUC in the tank.
just add salt directly into the display with running power head.
Mix to 1.025
This is what I did when I didn't have anything living in my tank
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new