Injured or sick Talbot Damsel

NVYCPO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I hope video works...first time trying to load a video. I have a Talbot Damsel and a Chromis in a 20g Long. I noticed the damsels gill looked injured about a week ago and thought the two were fighting. Well its alot worse now and I am now wondering if its some kind of disease. The fish looks like its struggling to breath, its barely using the fin on the same side as the gill. I haven't noticed any scratching and is eating just fine. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either the chromis grabbed the Talbot's but the gill plate and ripped it open or you might be dealing with uronemia? I am not convinced of the latter because I would expect the chromis to be sick with that also.

Anyway, If they are both still eating i would just keep the water as clean as possible and offer food to help their immune response.

Not much help, sorry.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I hope video works...first time trying to load a video. I have a Talbot Damsel and a Chromis in a 20g Long. I noticed the damsels gill looked injured about a week ago and thought the two were fighting. Well its alot worse now and I am now wondering if its some kind of disease. The fish looks like its struggling to breath, its barely using the fin on the same side as the gill. I haven't noticed any scratching and is eating just fine. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

This is not uronema but a clear injury and at this time the fish looks active and if eating normal- keep an eye on it for healing/improvement and not getting worse. As a safeguard, you can add ruby rally pro to the tank to assure positive healing and prevent infection. The injury is impacting fin and gill and should improve as long as no aggression

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I was leaning injury but wanted some confirmation.
I’m just struggling with the idea that a green chromis tore the gill plate off a Talbot’s that’s about the same size - but it does look like an injury, with possible secondary bacterial infection. The rapid breathing good just be due to only one gill working properly.

Jay

OP
OP
N

NVYCPO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just struggling with the idea that a green chromis tore the gill plate off a Talbot’s that’s about the same size - but it does look like an injury, with possible secondary bacterial infection. The rapid breathing good just be due to only one gill working properly.

Jay
The chromis is noticeably bigger (in person). They mess with each other but nothing major that I saw

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back