Injury and possible parasite on clownfish

Daniel Berazadi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi collective wisdom,

A couple of days ago I found one of my clownfish had an injury on her fin, I suspect it was an accident during feeding caused by the yellow wrasse who is a bit aggressive when eating, otherwise, there is no aggression whatsoever in the tank, I only have another clownfish and a luboki wrasse, plus some little invertebrates.
So yeah, the fin has a big section sort of bitten off.
I took it out after much struggle to give it an RO 5min bath as, at least in aquaculture, that is what I have been taught to do when injuries occur, but now I am not sure if I have done the right thing or there is something else I can and should do.
This also started right when the fish decided to go to live to the euphillia, I trust this has not caused the injury am I right? Or could it be making it worse for some strange reason?

To top it off, it has a strange white dot on the tail that sure looks like a parasite, but what do you think? what the heck could that be? It is just one and the rest of the fish seem clean.

Is there anything I can add to the tank that will help the fish recover and protect the rest and hopefully also attack whatever that parasite might be? I am hesitant to try to catch it again as it looked very stressful for all the fish and I have always been told that stress can kill faster than infections.

I am at your mercy!

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-25 at 1.26.58 PM.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been since something was added?
If no vectors for ich are in the tank, it’s possible what you are seeing is lymphocytosis, which comes as a response to stress, such as aggression.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looking at fins, there is near evidence iof aggression from likely another clownfish or tankmate.
To verify, you can set your phone on video mode for about 45 mins and feed lightly and walk away- MUST WALK AWAY. Generally the aggressor will get pushy to grab the food first and upon returning and reviewing video, you will know the culprit
The dot does not appear parasitical and may be viral lymphocystis or even a grain of sand stuck to body slime

OP
OP
D

Daniel Berazadi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If no vectors for ich are in the tank, it’s possible what you are seeing is lymphocytosis, which comes as a response to stress, such as aggression.
Two months since I added a couple of corals that I dipped in the Red Sea formula. The last fish I added were the wrasses four months ago.
It all started when the clownfish decided to go to the euphillia t love so maybe now since it is being more aggressive than before it is more stressed and other fish don't like this new aggression so they also fight back?

What could I do?

OP
OP
D

Daniel Berazadi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two months since I added a couple of corals that I dipped in the Red Sea formula. The last fish I added were the wrasses four months ago.
It all started when the clownfish decided to go to the euphillia t love so maybe now since it is being more aggressive than before it is more stressed and other fish don't like this new aggression so they also fight back?

What could I do?

OP
OP
D

Daniel Berazadi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at fins, there is near evidence iof aggression from likely another clownfish or tankmate.
To verify, you can set your phone on video mode for about 45 mins and feed lightly and walk away- MUST WALK AWAY. Generally the aggressor will get pushy to grab the food first and upon returning and reviewing video, you will know the culprit
The dot does not appear parasitical and may be viral lymphocystis or even a grain of sand stuck to body slime
Hi,

I am not sure about direct aggression, but I am sure that the Yellow wrasse, maybe by accident has indeed bitten of the clownfish, when I add food that fish goes crazy, I would not be surprised if a pellet was too close to the clown's fin and chomp!
I will do the recording thing for sure.

What could I do to help the fish?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi,

I am not sure about direct aggression, but I am sure that the Yellow wrasse, maybe by accident has indeed bitten of the clownfish, when I add food that fish goes crazy, I would not be surprised if a pellet was too close to the clown's fin and chomp!
I will do the recording thing for sure.

What could I do to help the fish?
Pictures under white lighting will be helpful to determine what’s going on

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say it’s been long enough where the chances of ich getting in are very low.
For aggression, really the only 100% way to fix it is to separate the fish. This may be more of an isolated event though.

OP
OP
D

Daniel Berazadi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures under white lighting will be helpful to determine what’s going on
Hi to all, I am not sure if anyone is following this but I got a better camera.
The fin has gotten worse, slowly but it has, now all is left is a bit of the hard part of the fin and nothing else. There is some white skin around it.
I am not sure if it will stop at some point and heal, or if it has lost its fin forever.
I don't know what else to do.
I have tried a bit of herbtana, with caution as the reviews are mixed, and also a product called Aqua Vivo, clay-based, that is supposed to help the mucus of the fish. Not at the same time but yeah.

A month has gone by and yeah, the fish is not dead, sure, and it has not spread to the entire fish, but 90% of the fin is gone and now part of the tail fin is also missing, not sure if it's a disease or another accident.

Anyway, here are some "better" pictures.

What should I do? just wait? Good diet, and try to minimize stress?

Attachments

• IMG_20220824_153941339.jpg
    IMG_20220824_153941339.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20220824_153823250.jpg
    IMG_20220824_153823250.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20220824_153924460.jpg
    IMG_20220824_153924460.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 30

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to all, I am not sure if anyone is following this but I got a better camera.
The fin has gotten worse, slowly but it has, now all is left is a bit of the hard part of the fin and nothing else. There is some white skin around it.
I am not sure if it will stop at some point and heal, or if it has lost its fin forever.
I don't know what else to do.
I have tried a bit of herbtana, with caution as the reviews are mixed, and also a product called Aqua Vivo, clay-based, that is supposed to help the mucus of the fish. Not at the same time but yeah.

A month has gone by and yeah, the fish is not dead, sure, and it has not spread to the entire fish, but 90% of the fin is gone and now part of the tail fin is also missing, not sure if it's a disease or another accident.

Anyway, here are some "better" pictures.

What should I do? just wait? Good diet, and try to minimize stress?
Still need the pics and video to be in white lighting. Blue lights make identification near impossible sometimes.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on severity of the injury, it may not fully heal. Happened to me with a giant danio. If the fish can still swim fine, it should be fine.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back