Ink-redible shape-shifters in an aquarium: Are you interested in keeping an Octopus?

Are you interested in keeping an Octopus?

• Yes, I have successfully kept an octopus.

Votes: 12 4.3%
  • Yes, I have attempted to keep an octopus with a less than high level of success.

Votes: 9 3.2%
  • Yes, I have thought about keeping an octopus but have not attempted it yet.

Votes: 120 43.0%
  • No, I have not thought about keeping an octopus.

Votes: 132 47.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.2%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ink-redible shape-shifters in an aquarium: Are you interested in keeping an Octopus?

There is something mesmerizing and nearly unattainable about keeping an octopus. We have all heard stories about these fantastic escape artists with significant strength and intelligence. Their amazing camouflage, creative problem-solving abilities, and ability to become interactive pets only adds to their mystique and desirability. Of course, they will require an aquarium setup and care that is designed around their specific needs. Are you interested in keeping an octopus? Please let us know if you have experience keeping one of these unique creature and tell us if you have any tips or recommendations.

NutraMar_Octopus.jpeg

Photo from @Nutramar; Starry-night Octopus

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.worldwidecorals.com

WWCBanner.png

“We differentiate ourselves from other vendors by offering our customers full transparency into our facility and practices. Setting the industry standard for shipping techniques, accurate high-quality photos, hard to find corals, and customer service.”

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not honestly want to keep an octopus. I have seen their intelligence and I feel that even the best setup I could offer would be an injustice to them. I personally feel they should largely be free to roam the open ocean.

Just my opinion.

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to have one, but the biggest caveat is their short lifespan. I think if I were in a position to set up a small breeding operation, then maybe. Even if their lives are short I think it would be rather satisfying being able to raise new generations. :)

Their intelligence doesn't bother me, maybe becaus I already percieve all animals of being a heck of a lot more intelligent than they are given credit for, or is acknowledged by science!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with the early posters, not going to set up a 1 year death camp for these amazing but short lived animals. I don’t want to say goodbye to my family/pets that often.

I am happy to leave them in the wild to live and be preyed upon by other predators who need a good meal now and then.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lid tight cube ran off an undergravel filter was my thought process. Can see that thing make havoc or anything else in it's domain. Luckily some could be sourced from temperate zone where room temperature will suffice and no heater needed. Keep internal components to a bare minimum and even the undergravel stems might need gluing so they stay fit and it doesn't try crawling inside. Would one of the coolest creatures to keep. Super smart. Expect they'd interact with their keeper. I'd change the outside just to see it change color and texture, too.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first briar octopus lived 4 hours (back in 1970). My mom let me stay home from school to pick it up from the pet store when the shipment arrived.

I do better with them now (grin). I do think they need to be kept in a "species tank" with no other animals, that's how they always have done the best for me.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

There is something mesmerizing and nearly unattainable about keeping an octopus. We have all heard stories about these fantastic escape artists with significant strength and intelligence. Their amazing camouflage, creative problem-solving abilities, and ability to become interactive pets only adds to their mystique and desirability. Of course, they will require an aquarium setup and care that is designed around their specific needs. Are you interested in keeping an octopus? Please let us know if you have experience keeping one of these unique creature and tell us if you have any tips or recommendations.

NutraMar_Octopus.jpeg

Photo from @Nutramar; Starry-night Octopus

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.worldwidecorals.com

WWCBanner.png

“We differentiate ourselves from other vendors by offering our customers full transparency into our facility and practices. Setting the industry standard for shipping techniques, accurate high-quality photos, hard to find corals, and customer service.”
After having two at my LFS and despite sealing tank well, they managed to escape and no more for me

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could see myself dedicating the time and resources necessary to setup an appropriate and engaging habitat for these because they are so fascinating. However, the short lifespan makes it a hard "No" for me.

ARCkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept an O. briareus for nearly a year. I brought it home on Sweetest Day and told my wife to consider it a bouquet of arms. She was a fun and fascinating animal. When she laid eggs she took very good care of them but they turned out not to be fertile.

We have a GPO display at work, and though I love working with them, it's heartbreaking watching them go through senescence. They are very interactive, but it's hard getting attached to them knowing they'll die of old age in 2 to 3 years.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally would if they had a longer lifespan. I can't imagine establishing a relationship with a creature smarter than me just to have it die in 2 years.

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I did always want to keep a cuttlefish or a squid, but I considered octopi less interesting in comparison because they're more well - studied. Would love a little sepia alongside all of my goobers assuming it wouldn't eat all of em.

if only proper squids aren't impossible...

ARCkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I did always want to keep a cuttlefish or a squid, but I considered octopi less interesting in comparison because they're more well - studied. Would love a little sepia alongside all of my goobers assuming it wouldn't eat all of em.

if only proper squids aren't impossible...
I do prefer keeping cuttles. They aren't as interactive as octopus but with care you can keep multiples. Their behavior is fascinating. I've kept S. bandensis and official is.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
cuttlefish are the only reason why i would consider making a species only tank. aside from other ideas...(eel, scorpionfish/frogfish, seahorse/pipefish/mandarin)

ARCkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do prefer keeping cuttles. They aren't as interactive as octopus but with care you can keep multiples. Their behavior is fascinating. I've kept S. bandensis and official is.
Spell check doesn't like Latin. It changed officinalis to official is.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their short life span and high level intelligence make it tough to justify. Additionally a wild octopus usually has a larger amount of ground they cover in a day then most can provide. Would be tough to make a 300 gallon tank just for it.

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wanted to try it, but I won't. I don't find it very ethical given their enrichment needs, intelligence, and short life span. I'm too busy with my dog training business to really dedicate time to offer the level of enrichment they need, and it's not like there's OctopusTV like there is DogTV as an enrichment option.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back