Inkbird controller gets stuck..

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently got an Inkbird controller, but for some reason the temp from the probes gets stuck. If it's low, it will turn the heaters on, and they will stay on because the temp is not updating on the device.

Can't quite figure it out. Anyone else had this issue?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got an Inkbird controller, but for some reason the temp from the probes gets stuck. If it's low, it will turn the heaters on, and they will stay on because the temp is not updating on the device.

Can't quite figure it out. Anyone else had this issue?

what model is it?

have you got the two probes together?

have you tried checking the temp with a separate thermometer?

OP
OP
R

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what model is it?

have you got the two probes together?

have you tried checking the temp with a separate thermometer?
It's 306A with WiFi.

No, the probes are in the return chamber and skimmer section of my sump. I have my Apex probe in the sump also, the Inkbird was so I could put a 2nd heater in my sump, as my reef is in the basement. It's 66-67 degrees down there all day long in the winter when it's 15 degrees and below out.

The Inkbird temp does not update, and it gets stuck at whatever temp is reads when you unplug it, and plug it back in. If it reads it low, it gets stuck and the heaters will stay on until my Apex notifies me.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 306A with WiFi.

No, the probes are in the return chamber and skimmer section of my sump. I have my Apex probe in the sump also, the Inkbird was so I could put a 2nd heater in my sump, as my reef is in the basement. It's 66-67 degrees down there all day long in the winter when it's 15 degrees and below out.

The Inkbird temp does not update, and it gets stuck at whatever temp is reads when you unplug it, and plug it back in. If it reads it low, it gets stuck and the heaters will stay on until my Apex notifies me.

sounds broke to me...if the screen is saying say 70f but the water is at 80f then it’s broke or the only other thing I can think of to check is the calibration setting, check to see that is at 0.

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, junked it.

Easier to use my Apex - and it works correctly.
Ahh that's a bummer. I had the standard 306T that was non-wifi, and thought I'd upgrade. Tore the old one out, cabled in the new one made it look nice. Now I'm going to have to rip it out and and put the old one back in.

Either way, thanks for the update. :)

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kurant I’m having the same issue, did you ever resolve this?
I got a reply from inkbird on here, think what they were saying is that it’s designed this way to limit the number of on/off cycles, to prolong the life of the unit.
I replied that’s all well and good but not when the variance goes more than the stated in the specs (mine is 0.3c but my inkbird goes double that.)

Last edited:

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reef. Yeah I saw your thread as well. It really sucks, I can live with the variance, but in my case the temperature it's displaying on the Inkbird controller and the app are not the actual temperature of the tank. Which is crazy! If I had just trusted it blindly I may have nuked my whole tank!!

I've started my own thread now, we'll see what happens.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's happen a lot to inkbird controllers.
Three are a few threads on here with the same issue. Mine does the same.

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang... I was hoping I could get InkBird support to fix it or just send me a new one. Sounds like I'm best served taking it out and junking it. :rolleyes:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranco, ranco, ranco, ran......

Idk why anyone messes with inkbirds anymore....always been filled with problems as far back as i can remember.
Hit and miss getting a quality unit.

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 306T on 2 other tanks, they work great, never had an issue. Just a shame I have to eat the cost of this 306A, I can't sell it on in good concious.

@Saltyreef had a quick search on Ranco, it looks pretty industrial grade. Do you have a specific setup you're using on a tank? You might talk me into switching ;)

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 306T on 2 other tanks, they work great, never had an issue. Just a shame I have to eat the cost of this 306A, I can't sell it on in good concious.

@Saltyreef had a quick search on Ranco, it looks pretty industrial grade. Do you have a specific setup you're using on a tank? You might talk me into switching ;)

I wired mine myself though using the bare controller.
It holds my temps rock solid.

RabidDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stumbled upon this thread.... I thought it was something I was doing wrong. I have setup my system the exact same way as Kurant described in regard to the inkbird temp probes placement and Apex temp probe.
Initially the temp was fluctuating as expected right between my set points: 77.5 and 78.0.... but over the course of 4 months the temp swings grew wider and wider. The tank now swings between 77.2 and 78.9 degrees with the exact same setpoints.

I now know the cause... the inkbird controller. I had noticed the temp jump several times on the inkbird like it was not actually updating in real time.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why do you have to eat the cost? Return it to whoever sold it to you, or was that already second hand?

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@elysics Yeah I got it from the classified on a message board where there's no real return policy.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 158 62.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.3%
Back