InkBird failed on.

Reaper_Six_Four

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELP!!

I’m on vacation and my InkBird failed ON!! Temp got up to 84 before I had my neighbor unplug the two heaters.

Are my fish going to die?! I’m running a reef tank with candy canes, Zoas, hammer, GSP, Favia, chalice and Xenias

My fish are clowns, 6line and a Blenny and some inverts.

I’m nowhere near my tank…

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELP!!

I’m on vacation and my InkBird failed ON!! Temp got up to 84 before I had my neighbor unplug the two heaters.

Are my fish going to die?! I’m running a reef tank with candy canes, Zoas, hammer, GSP, Favia, chalice and Xenias

They won't die from 84 on a short period of time... But, if it gets too cold because it's unplugged, who knows...

How did you verify your inkbird failed on? Just because there was a temp warning? Or can you view and see that the heaters were still on? Did you shut your A/C off before you left the house?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won't die from 84 on a short period of time... But, if it gets too cold because it's unplugged, who knows...

How did you verify your inkbird failed on? Just because there was a temp warning? Or can you view and see that the heaters were still on? Did you shut your A/C off before you left the house?
+1 to everything.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This, there are many variables. Heaters could of been off and the house got hot. I'm reading that the op is on vacation. When my dogs are at the sitters, the a/c stays at 76-77 to keep my tank from overheating.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reaper_Six_Four

Reaper_Six_Four

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How did you verify your inkbird failed on? Just because there was a temp warning? Or can you view and see that the heaters were still on? Did you shut your A/C off before you left the house?I

OP
OP
Reaper_Six_Four

Reaper_Six_Four

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left my ac on at 79 (it was still 79 when my neighbor checked, ac functioning) I had him stick a calibrated digital meat thermometer in the tank to very temp and it matched

OP
OP
Reaper_Six_Four

Reaper_Six_Four

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This, there are many variables. Heaters could of been off and the house got hot. I'm reading that the op is on vacation. When my dogs are at the sitters, the a/c stays at 76-77 to keep my tank from overheating.
We usually keep the house at 73 but left it at 79.

Your theory was mine but then I saw that it the heating trend started at about midnight and rose steadily from there. That leads me to believe it was a controller failure.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that 84 shouldn't cause any issues if it was caught fairly soon but getting too cold will. Can your neighbour take the heater (or heaters... Not sure if one was for redundancy) out of the Inkbird and plug them into an outlet or power bar. If you don't feel the house will cool that much then you should be fine but I would err on the side of caution.

OP
OP
Reaper_Six_Four

Reaper_Six_Four

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

you mean manually set them to ~78? Yeah, I’ll have him do that. I’m always weary of those thermometer actually working. Maybe I should have him set it to 76? Thoughts?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

you mean manually set them to ~78? Yeah, I’ll have him do that. I’m always weary of those thermometer actually working. Maybe I should have him set it to 76? Thoughts?
I would lower the house temp to 73 and plug the inkbird back in. It's entirely possible that your tank runs 5 degrees above ambient (the difference between 79 and 84), and your house, if you just left yesterday, probably held most of the cool air until midnight when it started creeping past the point that heaters were necessary to keep it warm...

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the temperature go down significantly after the heaters where unplugged? Talking about trends im assuming you have an apex? Can you setup an outlet for the heaters and ask neighbor to plug them in that?

OP
OP
Reaper_Six_Four

Reaper_Six_Four

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lower the house temp to 73 and plug the inkbird back in. It's entirely possible that your tank runs 5 degrees above ambient (the difference between 79 and 84), and your house, if you just left yesterday, probably held most of the cool air until midnight when it started creeping past the point that heaters were necessary to keep it warm...
I’ll try that.

I have a 30 gallon tank with sump. My temps never fluctuate, but my house is always cool as well. I’m more concerned with being able to cool my tank down or how long before I start losing animals.

OP
OP
Reaper_Six_Four

Reaper_Six_Four

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the temperature go down significantly after the heaters where unplugged? Talking about trends im assuming you have an apex? Can you setup an outlet for the heaters and ask neighbor to plug them in that?
No, still hasn’t gone down.

Not running an apex. Data collected through InkBird app

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try that.

I have a 30 gallon tank with sump. My temps never fluctuate, but my house is always cool as well. I’m more concerned with being able to cool my tank down or how long before I start losing animals.
it won't at 84... Tanks used to run around that back in the Metal Halide days... I wouldn't want to push it too much past that, but as long as the tank starts cooling slowly on its own now, you'll be fine

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, still hasn’t gone down.

Not running an apex. Data collected through InkBird app
If the temperature still hasnt gone down with the heaters unplugged id bet that it has nothing todo with the controller then, turn the ac down not up until u see the temperature fall..

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELP!!

Do the heaters not have their own controllers? Like set the heater to 79 and inkbird to 78 so if the inkbird fails or gets stuck on, then the heater will turn off at 79.

My fish survived a tank temp of 90's for a week (central air went out while out of town) during a heat wave. Hottest was 93. I lost almost all SPS and some LPS (torches, elegance so basically the finicky LPS) but most LPS and all soft corals were fine. All fish were totally fine. I have lots of surface agitation.

A temp of 84 isn't a very big deal though it is a swing out of the norm. I used to have a nano that ran 84-86 every summer. No problems. Some parts of the reef get pretty warm.

It used to be popular years ago to run tanks in 80's to try and get faster growth out of corals actually. Plus metal halides were hot.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back