Inkbird Not Standing Behind Product

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own the ITC 308 WI-FI, and out of the blue a few days ago, it started giving wildly inaccurate readings. Like, a glass of ice water is reading 65*F.

So, I emailed Inkbird, thinking a huge company like that would have decent customer service policies. Turns out, I’m ~3 months outside the warranty window, so they won’t warranty it, and are instead advising that I buy, and rewire, a new temperature probe.

I understand not wanting to warranty something that’s possibly not your fault, but my probe just abruptly stopped working correctly.

I own 6 or 7 Inkbird products, and was just last night looking to buy their sous-vide machine, but now I’m reconsidering whether, or not, to stick with a brand that won’t stand behind their products when they fail so blatantly.

Can anyone suggest an alternative temp controller that also has Wi-Fi capability?

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me get this straight. You have a controller, that is broken and outside the warranty period by several months and you are upset with the company for not offering to repair/replace? Just get another one and be happy.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see both points of view on something like this, but really, what ever happened to the old customer-service philosophy of, ‘Thanks for being a loyal customer— have a free replacement probe on us.’ (?) To me, anything less is shortsighted on something 90 days out of Warranty. :(

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah sorry, if you've ever worked in retail or customer service, then you know that majority of customers just trying to take advantage, often lies and half-truths.

I mean come on, "It just stopped working by itself I didnt do anything", you think no one's heard that before? I've been using that line since I was a kid, I still say it to my wife sometimes lol. It might be true I'm not judging but the bottom line is that you are outside of the contract, that means SOL

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working in customer service, and customer facing, roles for 15 years. I know that people lie, and I know that warranties expire. The point is that the usable life of this product should be more than 15 months, and to not stand behind that is short-sighted and bad policy. It does not cost them much to send me a new controller, but by not doing so, they’ve lost a customer.

I’m not saying my business is worth more than anyone else's, just that I’m taking it elsewhere. It’s disappointing, is all, and I thought a useful warning story. I’m really not trying to stir the pot, just vent, so maybe this post was a bad move. Was hoping to hear alternatives to Inkbird, mostly.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I get you. It’s the few that have ruined it for the many. But my mind is still back-in-the-day when your Craftsman tool from Sears broke— no matter how, no matter when— and they handed you a shiny brand new one. (The gold lettering on the store door also said “Satisfaction Guaranteed”. But someone here will counter that, I’m sure, by saying ‘... And that is why Sears is out of business...’) :(

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah sorry, if you've ever worked in retail or customer service, then you know that majority of customers just trying to take advantage, often lies and half-truths.

I mean come on, "It just stopped working by itself I didnt do anything", you think no one's heard that before? I've been using that line since I was a kid, I still say it to my wife sometimes lol. It might be true I'm not judging but the bottom line is that you are outside of the contract, that means SOL
Have you? The majority of customers are not bold-faced lying to customer service. If I didn’t have to have contacted them, I wouldn’t have, which is how most people feel.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You hear about a lot of aquarium brands supporting their products past their warranty period, but those are usually the premium brands that charge a fortune for products. Anytime I buy a budget, Chinese made product I basically assume I'm taking the risk if it were to break. I don't think them not supporting a product after the warranty is over is surprising or unreasonable.
If you want something that will allow you to wirelessly control tank temps then either get a aquarium controller or just buy another inkbird. AFAIK they're the only option in their price range.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me get this straight. You have a controller, that is broken and outside the warranty period by several months and you are upset with the company for not offering to repair/replace? Just get another one and be happy.
You consider 15 months a reasonable usable life for this product, then?

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You hear about a lot of aquarium brands supporting their products past their warranty period, but those are usually the premium brands that charge a fortune for products. Anytime I buy a budget, Chinese made product I basically assume I'm taking the risk if it were to break. I don't think them not supporting a product after the warranty is over is surprising or unreasonable.
If you want something that will allow you to wirelessly control tank temps then either get a aquarium controller or just buy another inkbird. AFAIK they're the only option in their price range.
Fair enough. That’s the same take I already have about my Jebao pumps, I just figure with Inkbird having more of a “face”, and a presence on here, doing giveaways every once in a while and such, that they’d have a more generous customer service policy for stuff like this. Guess that was optimistic, and I shouldn’t be surprised.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You consider 15 months a reasonable usable life for this product, then?
No I agree that it should last more than 15 months, and I'm sure most of them do. I just feel expecting them to support it outside of the warranty period, ecspecially for such a budget product, is unreasonable.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy a new one for $40. Yes, it would be nice if it lasted longer than 15 months, but sometimes you get one made on an assembly line where the children were half asleep after pulling a 12+ hour shift.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Companies need to think of their reputation value when they have issues like these with their customers.

Is it really worth having an unhappy customer ranting on this site about a product failing right after warranty period? How many people are reading this thread? How many people will research heater controllers in the future and find this thread?

What’s the value of a happy customer posting on this site their experience with a company that stands by their product?

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I recall correctly, when I was researching their controllers I think I read that their probes to tend to need replacing more often than one would anticipate. I've just mentally prepared myself for that inevitability. :/

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't you just buy a new probe? I believe they sell those separately. Out of warranty is not unreasonable that they won't replace it. These are not known to be top of the line.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean if they wanted to stand behind it for 15 months they would have given a 15 month warranty. I can understand the frustration but the warranty was there when you bought it. I'd have to say I wouldn't knock them for following their own rules. That being said a company that large could help a loyal customer out... but then why limit a warranty at all?

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't you just buy a new probe? I believe they sell those separately. Out of warranty is not unreasonable that they won't replace it. These are not known to be top of the line.
I can, but it's not something that can just be plugged in. You have to cut cords and rewire it...

Back