Inkbird Swings

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I added an Inkbird (306T) controller a couple days ago to manage my heaters and tank temperature after my main heater decided to brick itself! I have eheim backups holding steady right now with a pair of BRS titanium heaters on their way.

However, I've noticed that the measured temperature value has a tendency to swing about 0.4 - 0.5 Fº in a short amount of time (seconds) and was wondering if anyone has had this experience with their Inkbird? When the Inkbird does make the adjustment in measurement it is within 0.2 Fº of the tank's digital thermometers (they all read within 0.3 Fº of each other).

My only thoughts are that the unit might be defective, or, that it doesn't constantly monitor the tank temp (maybe taking measurement every 30-60 minutes). My main concern is with the new heaters (2 x 200w in an 80 gal, my two Eheims are 250w total) requiring a controller, if the Inkbird only updates its measurement periodically, that a temp swing would be rather extreme before control kicks in.

Any insights? Thanks!

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go into the manual and set up what temp the controller turns on and when it turns off.
mine has small .3F swings to tho

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, all that is set. My settings have the controller on at 80º and off at 81º.

Just not completely confident that it's monitoring full time.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I’ don’t know mine swings to

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the WiFi Inkbird controller and 2 BRS heaters. So far I’m not a fan. The heater swing can’t be set closer than a .5 degree. So the temp goes up and down by about .7-.9 degrees like every couple hours at night especially. My other heaters keep the temp within a .2 degree swing at night.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the WiFi Inkbird controller and 2 BRS heaters. So far I’m not a fan. The heater swing can’t be set closer than a .5 degree. So the temp goes up and down by about .7-.9 degrees like every couple hours at night especially. My other heaters keep the temp within a .2 degree swing at night.

if you use Celsius it’s slightly less of a swing.

I like my inkbird but it does have a couple of weak points.

if you had heaters that controlled the temp better, why not use them and only have the inkbird as the fail safe?

but that brings in a weak point of some models having a “safety device” that turns the heaters off if the inkbird doesn’t reach the set point within 1-72 hours so can’t be used as the fail safe because it would only reach that point if the heaters were to fail in the on position!

mine swings maybe .4 degrees Celsius.

I would be interested to hear what swings others have with different setups, controllers/heater?

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you use Celsius it’s slightly less of a swing.

I like my inkbird but it does have a couple of weak points.

if you had heaters that controlled the temp better, why not use them and only have the inkbird as the fail safe?

but that brings in a weak point of some models having a “safety device” that turns the heaters off if the inkbird doesn’t reach the set point within 1-72 hours so can’t be used as the fail safe because it would only reach that point if the heaters were to fail in the on position!

mine swings maybe .4 degrees Celsius.

I would be interested to hear what swings others have with different setups, controllers/heater?
Have heard the Celsius thing. I like to replace my heaters every year so this was my replacement.

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue with my inkbird. At first I thought it was a calibration issue but after recalibration the same thing would happen. Sometimes my tank would drop more than .5F off of the target when I set it at .3 sensitivity. I’m glad you pointed it out as I thought it was just unique to mine.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are not precision instruments, which is OK for the price. If you want something more precise, then get a Ranco... but even they will swing a little bit. You need some sort of a swing since you cannot have them cycling a few times a second.

Please don't use a titanium heater without a second thermostat with an InkBird... just too many failures. At least the Eheim has a thermostat that will keep it off if the InkBird fails.

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My inkbird is backed up by my apex. I noticed today the inkbird temp does not follow the tank temp. They both were reading 78.1 this morning. This afternoon the apex and external temp probe were at 78.8 and the inkbird remained at 78.2. I suppose I can get over a 1 degree swing back and forth all night but I’m not comfortable that inkbird measured temp does not even follow the water temp.

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also noticed the swings after having my inkbird hooked to my Apex for about a week or two. I even went as far as ordering another handheld thermometer just to make sure my Apex wasn't off. Good to know it's not just me. I did notice however that the inkbird seemed to keep my temp more stable when the heaters were set at 78.0 and 78.5 as opposed to 77.5 and 78.0

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My inkbird worked great for 3 yrs. Last week I moved the probe and the temp jumped down to 32 degrees! Then up to 50 degrees, then back to 78. Few minutes later alarm and 35 degrees now. Then back up. So I tossed it but for the price I think 3 yrs is pretty good. My new one is running great so far (I personally don't mind a 1 degree swing throughout the day, I think it's more natural that way).

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are not precision instruments, which is OK for the price. If you want something more precise, then get a Ranco... but even they will swing a little bit. You need some sort of a swing since you cannot have them cycling a few times a second.

Please don't use a titanium heater without a second thermostat with an InkBird... just too many failures. At least the Eheim has a thermostat that will keep it off if the InkBird fails.

You know of any threads on the Ranco? I am looking for a better heater controller but just googling Ranco controller pops up a ton of options, none geared towards aquarium use.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NM, was being lazy, found several.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Ranco dual stage with a bunch of Eheim heaters. Ranco set to 78 and Eheim set to just above that. I have a fan that I can turn on if my tank gets too hot, but it nearly never comes on. Dual stage is not much more than a single stage, so if you ever thing that your tank might get hot, then spend the few extra bucks.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might find a video for a cell-phone tower, meat locker, industrial lab or any other type of use. These are industrial pieces of equipment and not just reefing - any of these videos and links work. I saw one on the meat locker at a processing facility that aged high-dollar beef. They are trusted in lots of places.

You can also pay a bit more and buy them already wired for some places.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had same issues w/Inkbird. The way I solved it that works for me is I set Inkbirds at 77.8 low and 80.0 high, they are connected to my Apex which is set at 78.0 low & 79.0 high and they are much more consistent.

brewandreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Ranco dual stage with a bunch of Eheim heaters. Ranco set to 78 and Eheim set to just above that. I have a fan that I can turn on if my tank gets too hot, but it nearly never comes on. Dual stage is not much more than a single stage, so if you ever thing that your tank might get hot, then spend the few extra bucks.
Do you have to do anything special to the Ranco probe to prevent corrosion? Or just use as is?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to do anything special to the Ranco probe to prevent corrosion? Or just use as is?

ETC Supply sells heat shrink tubing to protect the Ranco temperature probe from the saltwater environment. It’s very cheap at $1.50/ft and $2 shipping for the tubing. If you order the Ranco controller from them, they will install it for you. They also sell prewired units as well if you’re not into wiring your own controller.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back