(Innovative Marine 30gallon long) Vectra S2 vs. Neptune Cor-15 Return Pump: Will it fit!?

Tony R.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again friends,

I have a IM 30 gallon long AIO tank and I'm trying to upgrade my return pump, I saw a video from Marine Depot shoving a Vectra S1 into the rear sump. Clearly that can be done! I can't get my hands on a (new) S1 since its discontinued and the S2 is being pushed really hard. General reviews of the S2 just saw its "bigger" than the S1, which is only kind of informative. The other direction I could take is the Neptune Cor-15, I love its form factor and one cord connect to the Apex for power and control. Factory specs on the pumps and even the tank are variable and often rounded, as we know even mm matter when trying to cram into a tiny space.

I would like some feedback here in the following categories:
1. Can anyone comment on the Vectra S1 vs. S2 size difference?
2. Anyone have the Cor-15 crammed in a small spot?
3. Finally, barring this, does anyone have alternate recommendations for quality return pump brands that are controllable (bonus if Apex controllable).

The real holy grail would be someone who has access to both the tank and the pump and could do a test fit. I'd literally pay money for such a fortuitous occasion!

Tank rear chamber diagram found here on Page 10

Vectra S1

Vectra S2

Neptune Cor-15

Cor-15 Manual (Dimensions on Page 4)

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that you’ll be hard pressed to find anyone using that much pump for a 30 gallon AIO. For an equivalent volume tank, I ran a Cobalt MJ1200 in my BioCube 29 AIO and that had an 18 inch head height as opposed to the 12” head height of your IM 30L. If anything, take a look at the IM Mighty Jet Desktop DC controllable pump at 328 gph.

The newer Vectra S2s have larger union collars, hence the wider width than the older S1s. In looking at the dimensions of your back chamber, you’re working with 3.7 inches of room. That will rule out both the S2 and the COR15. I even looked into the Apex controllable Reef Octopus VarioS-2 and even that was too wide... Sorry. :(

Cameron Carter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, a pump that big will be too much. It will cause bubbles in your center chamber That eventually lead to micro bubbles in the display and you will have to turn it way down... I’d just get a sicce and plug it into your eb832. Or get the mighty jet if you want dc for whatever reason. You could even get a Pmup if you want to save a plug, but they aren’t that quiet or controllable. If I had that tank I’d shoot for about 100gph

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the IM 30l, I replaced their stock single pump and T with two Eheim compactOn 1000’s with Spinstreams, working fantastic for two + years. Goodluck with your search.

OP
OP
Tony R.

Tony R.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that you’ll be hard pressed to find anyone using that much pump for a 30 gallon AIO. For an equivalent volume tank, I ran a Cobalt MJ1200 in my BioCube 29 AIO and that had an 18 inch head height as opposed to the 12” head height of your IM 30L. If anything, take a look at the IM Mighty Jet Desktop DC controllable pump at 328 gph.

The newer Vectra S2s have larger union collars, hence the wider width than the older S1s. In looking at the dimensions of your back chamber, you’re working with 3.7 inches of room. That will rule out both the S2 and the COR15. I even looked into the Apex controllable Reef Octopus VarioS-2 and even that was too wide... Sorry. :(

Thanks so much for weighing in on those Vectra sizes. Believe it or not I'm running the IM mightyjet midsize! Don't get me wrong, it does the job but isn't as reliable as the other brands. Plus it feels lethargic when using the Spin Stream flow nozzles. I shall keep looking! I called Innovative Marine and I had to chuckle when they just suggested throwing in a second IM mightyjet (one for each return nozzle!).

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded from an IM30 to a 120g thats running the COR-15, and there’s a 0% chance that pump would fit in the back chamber.

OP
OP
Tony R.

Tony R.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, a pump that big will be too much. It will cause bubbles in your center chamber That eventually lead to micro bubbles in the display and you will have to turn it way down... I’d just get a sicce and plug it into your eb832. Or get the mighty jet if you want dc for whatever reason. You could even get a Pmup if you want to save a plug, but they aren’t that quiet or controllable. If I had that tank I’d shoot for about 100gph

I called Innovative Marine and they cautioned just about the same thing. They said no more than 600 gph for the tank. I'm presently running the Mightyjet midsize, while it gets the job done it just isn't terribly reliable. It also feels lethargic with the addition of the IM spin stream random flow nozzle attachments. Have you had Sicce pumps in your tank, reliable?

OP
OP
Tony R.

Tony R.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the IM 30l, I replaced their stock single pump and T with two Eheim compactOn 1000’s with Spinstreams, working fantastic for two + years. Goodluck with your search.
This is great info coming from someone running the same set up. I have the two spinstreams as well and even with the upgraded IM mightyjet midsize it still feels pretty lethargic. I'm definitely going to check out the Eheim offerings!

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it’s not Apex compatible, if you want a reliable DC controllable pump that will fit in your back chamber, take a look at the Tunze 1073.050. It comes in at only 2.95” wide.

You can see the measurement specs on page 12 of the manual here...

OP
OP
Tony R.

Tony R.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it’s not Apex compatible, if you want a reliable DC controllable pump that will fit in your back chamber, take a look at the Tunze 1073.050. It comes in at only 2.95” wide.

You can see the measurement specs on page 12 of the manual here...

This is great, I'm going to check this out. Thank you for looking into it!

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called Innovative Marine and they cautioned just about the same thing. They said no more than 600 gph for the tank. I'm presently running the Mightyjet midsize, while it gets the job done it just isn't terribly reliable. It also feels lethargic with the addition of the IM spin stream random flow nozzle attachments. Have you had Sicce pumps in your tank, reliable?
I was Running 2x since pumps while my IM30 was running. I can’t remember the sizes but I want to say maybe a 0.5 and a 1.5, both with spinstreams, and it worked well enough. I ended up not running a powerhead because of the turnover I had from these.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called Innovative Marine and I had to chuckle when they just suggested throwing in a second IM mightyjet (one for each return nozzle!).

Not a 30l, but I had a 25 lagoon and ran the stock pump on one return and "generic" pump on the other for about 650gph or so. Used the IM spin stream on one side and a VCA RFG on the other. I personally would do two pumps, you get the flow you want and have some built in redundancy.

OP
OP
Tony R.

Tony R.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a 30l, but I had a 25 lagoon and ran the stock pump on one return and "generic" pump on the other for about 650gph or so. Used the IM spin stream on one side and a VCA RFG on the other. I personally would do two pumps, you get the flow you want and have some built in redundancy.
You had me at redundancy.

Speaking of RFG nozzle how did you like it vs. the spinstreams? Also how did the profile of the RFG compare to the spinstreams? I wind up having to knock around my spinstreams every so often to keep them spinning and such. Lotsa vinegar baths and all too. Would love to eliminate some moving parts.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You had me at redundancy.

Speaking of RFG nozzle how did you like it vs. the spinstreams? Also how did the profile of the RFG compare to the spinstreams? I wind up having to knock around my spinstreams every so often to keep them spinning and such. Lotsa vinegar baths and all too. Would love to eliminate some moving parts.

I like the RFG, it does what it says and definitely improved the flow in the tank, with that said, I have a 3d printer more than capable of printing them myself (made two this last weekend) and for whatever they are charging now a days I cant help but feel bilked. If they were $9.99 w/ free shipping it'd be a bargin, $20 + shipping + any adapters you may need... the value isnt there when you can walk into any makerspace or most large libraries and use their printers. The RFG's are longer than the spinstreams by maybe an inch but not nearly as fat.

Now the spin streams, I have a love/hate relationship with them. With the RFG and the spinstream it did an awesome job of breaking up the flow. I loved this setup. However, like you mentioned, they get stuck, and I broke at least two of them trying to disassemble and clean them. That aside, I wish there was a product beefier/more reliable than the spinstream but smaller/more affordable than a seaswirl.

Cameron Carter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sicce is quite reliable in my experience, also I have used the tunze pump as well, it came with my tunze cheato reactor and it is a pretty sweet little pump

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had issues with the Mightyjet's reliability or just assuming it won't be reliable because it's not one of the mainstream brands for pumps? Just curious as you've mentioned several times lack of reliability, but haven't necessarily said what has gone wrong with it?

OP
OP
Tony R.

Tony R.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had issues with the Mightyjet's reliability or just assuming it won't be reliable because it's not one of the mainstream brands for pumps? Just curious as you've mentioned several times lack of reliability, but haven't necessarily said what has gone wrong with it?
I suppose my biggest gripe is the random reset of the pulse vs. continuous mode as well as the auto reset of the power modes. Its annoying at best.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose my biggest gripe is the random reset of the pulse vs. continuous mode as well as the auto reset of the power modes. Its annoying at best.
Good to know. I wonder if this is a widespread issue or isolated. I haven't researched the pumps much but am about to set up an IM Lagoon 50 using the Mightyjet.

OP
OP
Tony R.

Tony R.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I wonder if this is a widespread issue or isolated. I haven't researched the pumps much but am about to set up an IM Lagoon 50 using the Mightyjet.
To follow up with this, I have it attached to my Apex and essentially it gets switched off for feed mode. However this doesn't cause the reset everytime. It really seems random and sporadic.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back