OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like i got myself some Ulva intestinalis commonly known as "gutweed" lol!

1638300484648.png

Some fun facts:

"Compared to some other seaweeds on the shore Ulva species are also very fast growing and therefore they are normally one of the first species to settle. "

"Usually the combination of excess nutrients (usually excess phosphorous triggers growth in macroalgae) and longer time in the sunlight (if its summer), creates the ideal conditions to grow fast, the result of which is referred to as a macroalgal bloom."

"One handy trick that these species implement to survive high on the shore is that they can bleach and still survive. Too much light and heat exposure can actually destroy the photosystems involved in photosynthesis, killing the cells. Ulva species use this to there advantage letting the first few layers of cells bleach and die, but in doing so these layers turn white and they reflect a lot more sunlight."

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like i got myself some Ulva intestinalis commonly known as "gutweed" lol!

1638300484648.png

Some fun facts:

"Compared to some other seaweeds on the shore Ulva species are also very fast growing and therefore they are normally one of the first species to settle. "

"Usually the combination of excess nutrients (usually excess phosphorous triggers growth in macroalgae) and longer time in the sunlight (if its summer), creates the ideal conditions to grow fast, the result of which is referred to as a macroalgal bloom."

"One handy trick that these species implement to survive high on the shore is that they can bleach and still survive. Too much light and heat exposure can actually destroy the photosystems involved in photosynthesis, killing the cells. Ulva species use this to there advantage letting the first few layers of cells bleach and die, but in doing so these layers turn white and they reflect a lot more sunlight."
That’s great that you could identify what it is. Seems like it’s impossible to kill so you’ll never have to buy macro ever again. Will a tang eat it?

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great that you could identify what it is. Seems like it’s impossible to kill so you’ll never have to buy macro ever again. Will a tang eat it?
I can dry and kill some and try. But im a little hesitant about actually putting it in my display! Lol... Seems its in my refugium whether i wanted it or not.. i could kill the lights to the refugium. But not so much to the display, haha.

It literally grew from nothing and all

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can dry and kill some and try. But im a little hesitant about actually putting it in my display! Lol... Seems its in my refugium whether i wanted it or not.. i could kill the lights to the refugium. But not so much to the display, haha.

It literally grew from nothing and all
The question is really how did it get in your system in the first place, and only in the sump? That’s not a type you see everyday.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question is really how did it get in your system in the first place, and only in the sump? That’s not a type you see everyday.
I dont know, but, not to jinx myself, i do like it.... its not going into or clogging the entry to the return section. Detritus just slips past it. Its far more durable than the leafy ulva so it does not blow around as much or get push into baffles. Comes out easy in clumps without mess.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lazy Coral House freebie with a coral order was an orange and yellow lens cover for cell phone, pretty sweet actually, was looking to get one of these sets :)

20211216_003233.jpg

20211216_002454.jpg

I gotta say i like it!
That looks great. I need a new set of those myself. The clip I have doesn’t work with an iphone 13.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total gamechanger this little tablet is... About $150 into this display and it's worth every penny.

I AM CONNECTED TO GHL PROFILUX and it really feels much better.

I did some maintenance tonight--and it was connected the whole time, even still connected, probably won't disconnect.... That's all i've wanted... And, plus, when i press a tile--it works. AND it's quick. The buttons really work now, it's great.

Just knowing that i can quickly and it appears reliably access the profilux controls--makes the entire experience much, much, better.

Mind you, connecting to "myghl" over the internet is sloooow and iffy at best for whether i need restart the app a few times.

BUT i don't care. I can walk over to the tank and actually do stuff without pulling my hair out. It's wonderful.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back