Innovative Marine EXT 100 Build

ikanspelwel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

I started my official first salt water tank in my previous house, and when I had just gotten to the stage of starting to stock it, we made the decision to sell our home and move. Our previous home was supposed to be a long term home, but life threw us a curveball and we needed to move.

The tank in our last home was a custom install I did above our fireplace, here is a photo of it nearly completed, full of salt water:
5B34A7ED-62A9-4285-8733-4D0FF9027068.jpeg

I was planing on facing the fireplace wall with stacked stone going around the aquarium, but because of the upcoming move, the tank had to go. If you could merge the following photo with the one above you can get a feel of what it would have looked liked finished:
4-4X0A5617-2500.jpeg

So the following is technically my second salt water tank, but for all practical purposes it is really going to be my first as I didn't get the first tank stocked! So onto what I am going to call my official first salt water tank!

The tank from my previous house was purchased to fit in the space, was in wall and I drilled into the sides for a closed loop system, because of this it wasn't the appropriate tank to go in the location at my new house. So I was back to the drawing board in regards to the tank. I am not a fan of the internal overflows, as I feel like they take up too much space inside the tank, so I had my heart set on an external overflow box. I also have a basement in my new house and wanted the sump and filter equipment in the basement, so I didn't need an all-in-one like the Red Sea Reefers with the included sump. I am definitely a do-it-yourselfer and prefer a more custom application. With this in mind I wanted a rimless tank with external overflow and eventually landed on the Innovative Marine EXT 100. It would fit nicely in my space, it had the external overflow box built in, and it was a reasonably priced rimless tank.

At this point I had decided on the tank, now it was time to save up the cash to get it. I was in for another wait, then a pile of cash, in the form of a stimulus payment, landed in my account! So thanks to the government I was able to purchase my tank and stand way ahead of schedule.

The following two photos were taken on May 3rd, 2020:
IMG_1399.jpeg

IMG_1405.jpeg

I must say I am very impressed with the aquarium itself. Very nice build very clean, and solid. The stand went together easily enough and is made of aluminum and I am sure will hold up well over time, however I wish it felt just a little bit more solid. I was hoping that when I filled the tank with water that the weight it might stiffing it up, however it didn't really have any effect. Don't get me wrong the stand isn't going anywhere and definitely holds the weight just has a tiny bit of give to it.

Now that I had the tank and stand in place it was time to think about all the plumbing that needed to happen...

Much more to follow!

Adam

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back