Innovative Marine filter socks mod?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of giving the IM filter socks a try on my Nuvo 14, as they are felt, I think they will be a nightmare to clean.
Anyone tried cutting the felt sock off the plastic holder and attaching a mesh sock instead?

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might as well just get an Intank floss holder like the one above or one of their caddies.

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using floss atm, I would like to give the socks a try.
Hose them off, then in the washer with a small bit of bleach. Air dry. Not too bad to clean....just not sure why you'd want to go from less work to more.

Mesh socks are definitely easier to clean, but inherently don't catch as much detritus in them. Use the micron rating to see how tight the weave is.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hose them off, then in the washer with a small bit of bleach. Air dry. Not too bad to clean....just not sure why you'd want to go from less work to more.

Mesh socks are definitely easier to clean, but inherently don't catch as much detritus in them. Use the micron rating to see how tight the weave is.

yeah I just can’t bring myself to wash them in the washing machine, with such a small tank, any slight residue left could be harmful.

The IM are 200 microns, the mesh I’m looking to use is 100, so should be better at removing smaller particles.

I presently use floss but hate that is has loose fibres that float around the tank, even though I rinse it well, not a lot of loose fibres but I don’t want any, tried many different brands of floss.

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the filter floss holder. Mine are coming in today. So tired of changing out filter socks at the price they are, it adds up when you change them like your suppose to.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I just can’t bring myself to wash them in the washing machine, with such a small tank, any slight residue left could be harmful.

The IM are 200 microns, the mesh I’m looking to use is 100, so should be better at removing smaller particles.

I presently use floss but hate that is has loose fibres that float around the tank, even though I rinse it well, not a lot of loose fibres but I don’t want any, tried many different brands of floss.
I used 200 micron felt for years, sucked getting them clean, I just rinsed with hose or in shower. Stopped as I think they trap too much stuff.
Recently tried 75 micron mesh, much easier to clean.
I vote make mesh work.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 200 micron felt for years, sucked getting them clean, I just rinsed with hose or in shower. Stopped as I think they trap too much stuff.
Recently tried 75 micron mesh, much easier to clean.
I vote make mesh work.

Are you saying that the rating on the mesh socks maybe misleading then? If you thought the felt at 200 microns trapped too much, then the 75 micron mesh surely would also?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying that the rating on the mesh socks maybe misleading then? If you thought the felt at 200 microns trapped too much, then the 75 micron mesh surely would also?
Yes, felt sox trap much smaller than 200 microns. Stacks up in the felt fibers. Mesh, like a net, just has holes.
75 was what was available for my 7 inch ring.
BTW, bought them for noise abatement in the sump, dripping water.
Mesh sox quieter than no sox.
Edited

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%

Back