Inside the Smart Buddie - Turbo charge your RO system

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
The internal pump is not big enough to handle the 150GPD total. We recommend the Smart Buddie up to a total of 100GPD of membrane.

Discotu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AquaticLifeProducts
Hello, question about flow restrictors. The smart buddie which is rated for 50-100 gpd has a built in 300ml restrictor which seems like it's suited best for the lower end of output. I recall you even posted earlier in this thread that you use 800ml restrictors in your 100gpd systems. If i am using 100gpd membranes should i switch to 800ml restrictors? thanks!

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
@AquaticLifeProducts
Hello, question about flow restrictors. The smart buddie which is rated for 50-100 gpd has a built in 300ml restrictor which seems like it's suited best for the lower end of output. I recall you even posted earlier in this thread that you use 800ml restrictors in your 100gpd systems. If i am using 100gpd membranes should i switch to 800ml restrictors? thanks!
You can up the waste water flow if you would like. See the flow restrictor increase option below showing the modification to allow this. You can adjust the valve to the flow rate that you would like to use. Keep in mind your pressure to the membrane could drop some as the water is diverted to the waste stream.

Adding the bypass below, keeps the flush function on the Smart Buddie too.

So when you increase the flow restrictor size you will change the ratio of filtered water to waste water too. So a 100 GPD membrane flows around 250ml of water per minute. So with the 300 ml flow restrictor your close to 1 to 1. Increase the waste water flow to the 800ml you will be changing that to 1 to 3. So it really depends on what your looking to obtain. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Flow restrictor Increase with valve.jpg

Discotu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i guess what i am trying to wrap my head around is the relation of feed water pressure (front end) and flow restrictor (back end) in relation to membrane used. For example, i want to use 100gpd membrane. My understanding is something around 800ml flow restrictor is ideal but that depends on having the correct front end pressure. So there are 3 variables, water pressure, membrane and flow restrictor.

let me know if these assumptions are correct:
-low water pressure will result in more waste because it can't push water through the membrane fast enough.

-you can increase the pressure by using a booster pump and / or adding a smaller flow restrictor.

-However, since a 100 gpd membrane has more surface area compared to smaller membranes you need to push more water AND keep water pressure to maximize the 250ml flow rate.

-by using the included 300ml restrictor in the smart buddy, pressure will increase but flow decrease across the membrane thus resulting in close to a 1:1
but this might not be ideal for the 100 gpd memebrane?

-using a 800ml restrictor i am pushing more water through but need higher boosting power to keep the pressure up because of the increased flow rate.
But this is closer to how this membrane should operate?

-just to clarify, your suggestion of using a valve above assumes removal of the built in 300ml flow restrictor correct?

thanks!
Brian

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
i guess what i am trying to wrap my head around is the relation of feed water pressure (front end) and flow restrictor (back end) in relation to membrane used. For example, i want to use 100gpd membrane. My understanding is something around 800ml flow restrictor is ideal but that depends on having the correct front end pressure. So there are 3 variables, water pressure, membrane and flow restrictor.

let me know if these assumptions are correct:
-low water pressure will result in more waste because it can't push water through the membrane fast enough.

-you can increase the pressure by using a booster pump and / or adding a smaller flow restrictor.

-However, since a 100 gpd membrane has more surface area compared to smaller membranes you need to push more water AND keep water pressure to maximize the 250ml flow rate.

-by using the included 300ml restrictor in the smart buddy, pressure will increase but flow decrease across the membrane thus resulting in close to a 1:1
but this might not be ideal for the 100 gpd memebrane?

-using a 800ml restrictor i am pushing more water through but need higher boosting power to keep the pressure up because of the increased flow rate.
But this is closer to how this membrane should operate?

-just to clarify, your suggestion of using a valve above assumes removal of the built in 300ml flow restrictor correct?

thanks!
Brian
- So with the lower water pressure the water processed though the membrane is reduced and the flow restrictor flow will remain close to the same. So your ratios will be different. Membrane flow rates are usually rate for 60 - 65 PSI.

- increasing membrane pressure can be done by the booster pump. Reducing the flow restrictor size without a booster pump will have little impact on the pressure. The pressure is limited to the supply water pressure to the system.

- if the flow rate and pressure is not available it will impact the filtered water output.

- Most membrane manufacturers are looking at 15% recovery rates. So that comes out to around 1 to 5.6 filtered to waste ratio. That would mean that you would need 250 ml for the membrane and 1,400 ml for the flow restrictor. Total water needed is 1,650 ml per minute at 60 PSI.

-Adding the valve is in addition to the internal 300 ml flow restrictor. So if you are measuring the combined waste water flow it would the combination of the 300 ml and the added flow from the valve bypass. Keep in mind this will likely reduce the pressure to the membrane as the flow from the pump is limited.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I received an email with your pressure question, but it does not appear to be here now. Please see attached placement for the pressure gauge on the BRS 75 GPD system.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Attachments

• Smart_Buddie_Plumbing_BRS_061423.pdf
    72.1 KB · Views: 22

pwest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi:
I purchased an RO Smart Buddie a couple of years ago and have always been plagued by leaks from the connections at the bulkhead connectors going to the exterior tubes. I've always been careful to make clean cuts on the tubing w/a razor blade and have no off-axis stress where they exit.

My input pressure is 40psi, and I typically see 60psi at the input to the RO: both the input and output connectors to the diaphragm pump will drip. I do 40 gallon water changes every two weeks, and because of the leaking issue, I usually use the pump in a sort of manual mode where I make 50-60 gallons of water every two weeks in 1 session and then unplug the pump. If my makeup water reservoir float valve cuts off the flow, then the exit (blue-line) connectors will begin to leak and the pump will not shut off.

I need to resolve this problem now and am thinking that replacing (or repairing w/new o-rings?) the bulkhead quick-connects may be the best solution. Can anyone recommend a reliable brand and source?

Thanks,
Phil

pwest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI Phil, If you want to send me photos at [email protected] will be glad to help. We have many parts available to help out.

I wanted to post a big thanks to Dave at Aquatic Life. He sent me some parts that completely fixed my issue. I made 60 gallons of RO/DI this weekend w/no drips!

Fantastic customer support.

-Phil

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to post a big thanks to Dave at Aquatic Life. He sent me some parts that completely fixed my issue. I made 60 gallons of RO/DI this weekend w/no drips!

Fantastic customer support.

-Phil
I too have had a great experience with Dave and Aquatic Life customer service...although not in this thread. I emailed a question about the Smart Buddie last week prior to finding this thread as my RO unit also supplies water to my fridge and ice maker. Dave was prompt in his replies and extremely helpful. He answered all my questions about my specific application and was very knowledgeable. Needless to say, my smart buddie arrived today and will be installed shortly.

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed my Smart Buddie RO booster pump. Took my feed pressure from 55 psi to 95 psi on my Spectrapure 90 GPD membrane! This should greatly improve my RO unit's performance. Seeing 1 TDS out the membrane and 0 out the DI stage! And it is nearly silent! Super happy with my purchase!

20240127_165235.jpg
20240127_172158.jpg

Reef Management LLC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on your situation. The concern is the pressure created with the larger membrane area or the two membranes. If you only have 40 PSI, it will increase the pressure to the membrane in our experience close to the 60 - 65 PSI. If you already have the 65 PSI you would not really see an increase. The pump will produce around 750 ml of water at 60 PSI output. A single 150 membrane or double 75 would have around 395 ml of output per minute and then you need to add in the 300 CC/ml flow restrictor per minute. So 695 combined.

So it really would depend on your situation. Let me know your parameters and will be glad to help figure out if it will work in your situation.
I'm looking to add a second 75 gpd membrane. I'm running 90 psi now with the single 75 gpd and the buddy. Do I need to add a flow restricter to do this and if so what size and where do I put it? Thanks

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I'm looking to add a second 75 gpd membrane. I'm running 90 psi now with the single 75 gpd and the buddy. Do I need to add a flow restricter to do this and if so what size and where do I put it? Thanks
I know we emailed about this but wanted to post the reply here for other to have as a resource.

So the Smart Buddie is already reducing your waste water output. Likely close to ½.

The Smart Buddie uses a 300 cc/ml flow restrictor and if you have a 75 GPD membrane your ratio is around 1 gallon filtered to 1.5 gallons waste.

The 2nd membranes are used when you add the membrane and keep the original flow restrictor, without using the Smart Buddie. I would guess your original flow restrictor was 550 ml/cc with the system. So adding a second membrane would have made it 275 cc/ml per membrane. So close to what we use with the Smart Buddie.

If you added the 2nd membrane to a Smart Buddie there are two problems.
  1. You run the risk of the membrane scaling or fouling due to the reduce ratio. Going to 1 to 0.75 would likely have minerals precipitate out of the water and clog your membrane quickly.
  2. Adding the second membrane will cause the pump to run much faster than it was designed. Causing it to likely fail in less than a year. This would not be covered under warranty as it is only rated for 50 – 100 GPD membranes. Think of it like revving a car to redline and keeping it there.
Hope this helps.

GoodMoodley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently the output of my RO system is tee'd off after an ASO and one output goes to a standard RO pressurized storage tank that feeds my refrigerators. The other line goes to a DI filter and then to a Brute storage container that is controlled by an Apex Solenoid. If I install this system and remove the ASO will the pressurized storage tanks be filled to the current volume and pressure level that I get which services my refrigerators quite well?

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently the output of my RO system is tee'd off after an ASO and one output goes to a standard RO pressurized storage tank that feeds my refrigerators. The other line goes to a DI filter and then to a Brute storage container that is controlled by an Apex Solenoid. If I install this system and remove the ASO will the pressurized storage tanks be filled to the current volume and pressure level that I get which services my refrigerators quite well?
I asked this same question via email not too long ago as my unit feeds my Reef and my fridge. The issue you might run into is the output psi of the buddie is only 35 psi, which might not be enough pressure for some fridges. I got around this by having an additional booster pump after my drinking water storage tanks to supply higher psi to my fridge.

20240127_165235.jpg

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Thank you, that is correct. The high pressure switch on the Smart Buddie is set at 35 PSI. So this would be the maximum pressure on the filtered water side.

Most ASO turn off at 66% of the incoming PSI to the RO system.

GoodMoodley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would there be an issue if I replaced the high pressure switch with a 60 PSI switch? My system output goes to either the pressure tanks or an APEX solenoid. It is not being controlled by a float valve.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back