Instability with fleece roller and ATO?

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having some issues with my roller mat and ATO and was hoping for suggestions. My tank is a reefer 425 (112 gal total). I have a Red Sea roller mat 500 and a neptune apex with ATK. I'm noticing that my roller mat eventually turns, the water level inside the roller mat drops, resulting in my sump volume increasing. The volume is significant enough to raise my return chamber high enough to eventually trigger the high water alarm sensor on the ATK. I'm also wondering if this fluctuation is causing my salinity to eventually be unstable. My sump has a float valve built in, which I am using in place of the float valve on the ATK unit due to fit. I'm wondering if taking the low and high water sensors off of the base magnet and onto their own separate magnets with more distance between the two will result in less alarms? Any suggestions?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably leave the Neptune setup as is, but in the ReefBeat app you can change how much the fleece roll advances. I'd try adjusting it to smaller increments to see if you can't find the optimal rate that doesn't impact your sump.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a trigger fleece roller and it was weeks before the bugs were tweaked out. Just be patient and buy extra rolls. What brand ATK are you using?

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So per above, what amount of advancement do you have your ReefMat set to? Also, are you running the standard ATK programming or have you made any custom changes?
Standard programming. The roller was set to default of .8-1inch. I just reduced it to .6 to .8

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard programming. The roller was set to default of .8-1inch. I just reduced it to .6 to .8
Even a 0.8-1.0" advancement wouldn't raise the water level in the sump by that much - there's just not that much volume in the fleece roller.

It doesn't matter if the high level sensor gets triggered - it's supposed to work that way (there are two optical sensors as a fail safe). The slight amount of water between the low/high sensors shouldn't drastically affect your salinity, so I wouldn't worry about that.

As for the alarms, you can always disable those.

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even a 0.8-1.0" advancement wouldn't raise the water level in the sump by that much - there's just not that much volume in the fleece roller.

It doesn't matter if the high level sensor gets triggered - it's supposed to work that way (there are two optical sensors as a fail safe). The slight amount of water between the low/high sensors shouldn't drastically affect your salinity, so I wouldn't worry about that.

As for the alarms, you can always disable those.
I have a float valve back up. But disabling the alarm would remove the redundancy. This is why I’m thinking that separating the float valves onto 2 different magnets spaced a little further apart would be a better solution

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a float valve back up. But disabling the alarm would remove the redundancy. This is why I’m thinking that separating the float valves onto 2 different magnets spaced a little further apart would be a better solution
Moving them apart could potentially make it worse... I've been running the ATK for well over a year and it works flawlessly. I don't have alarms set because it's pointless (I have 2 optical sensors and a float).

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving them apart could potentially make it worse... I've been running the ATK for well over a year and it works flawlessly.
Yea I guess I can disable the alarm and then add another sensor for high water alarm. Gotta check if I have another port open though.

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone. Reducing the advancement down to half an inch seems to have done the trick. No alarms today so far

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back