Installing a bulkhead | BRStv How-To

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another nice video!

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's amazing how excited I get when a new video comes out, even if it is just a bulkhead install demo lol. Thanks guys!

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I do have a question. I use these all the time but never tried cutting one down shorter on the threaded side. If cut, how far back do the usable threads go on the inside? Would I be able to cut one back an inch or more and still thread in a fitting on the back?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I do have a question. I use these all the time but never tried cutting one down shorter on the threaded side. If cut, how far back do the usable threads go on the inside? Would I be able to cut one back an inch or more and still thread in a fitting on the back?

Interesting. I suppose you could trim some of the back end of a bulkhead and still be able to thread the nut back on. My only concern would be the surface area you remove and how that affects the water tight bond you create between the pipe and the bulkhead (if you were gluing). With less surface to bond, you may not be able to create a leak-free seal and the same goes for inside threaded bulkheads. Also, you have to be aware of the stopping point for the plumbing on the dry side. Most bulkheads have a very slight taper inside which goes from large to small as you travel to the center of the bulkhead. This allows a stopping point for the wet-side plumbing and the dry-side plumbing.

I'd say it's definitely worth playing around with and if I were attempting it myself, I would probably screw the retaining nut on first, make the cut, then unscrew the nut back off. That should help to remove any larger burrs and verify if you can remove the nut completely. :)

-Randy

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read one should not use a wrench and only hand tighten ? Using a wrench can over tighten the bulkhead and cause a crack or leak?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I read one should not use a wrench and only hand tighten ? Using a wrench can over tighten the bulkhead and cause a crack or leak?

Yes this is what most recommend. I think if you are careful, in some instances you can use a wrench. I have external overflow boxes and one of the bulkheads has a hard time sealing good between the box and the glass so I had to use a wrench to tighten it a little more. Stopped the small leak and all is well.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this is what most recommend. I think if you are careful, in some instances you can use a wrench. I have external overflow boxes and one of the bulkheads has a hard time sealing good between the box and the glass so I had to use a wrench to tighten it a little more. Stopped the small leak and all is well.
Sounds good Rev. just nervous as all heck about a bulkhead crack and dumping 100 gallons on my neighbor below me. If that happens my wife would probably pack up her stuff be and out lol.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds good Rev. just nervous as all heck about a bulkhead crack and dumping 100 gallons on my neighbor below me. If that happens my wife would probably pack up her stuff be and out lol.

What's going on that you need to tighten it more?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok gotcha!

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just started my build. I am installing bulkheads next week. Want to make sure I do it right.

Hey!

I'd have to say that experience really comes into play when choosing to use a wrench or not. I have personally shattered a few small tanks from over tightening and have since learned what pressure feels just about right for a solid seal.

In your case, if it were me installing my first bulkheads, I would hand tighten them and then try the leak test. In many cases, hand tightening is more than enough to create a leak free seal especially if you prep and clean the surfaces first! Should there be a small drip, you could always try the slightest of turns with a wrench or simply drain the tank a bit and re-seat/reseal the bulkhead and try again. :)

-Randy

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey!

I'd have to say that experience really comes into play when choosing to use a wrench or not. I have personally shattered a few small tanks from over tightening and have since learned what pressure feels just about right for a solid seal.

In your case, if it were me installing my first bulkheads, I would hand tighten them and then try the leak test. In many cases, hand tightening is more than enough to create a leak free seal especially if you prep and clean the surfaces first! Should there be a small drip, you could always try the slightest of turns with a wrench or simply drain the tank a bit and re-seat/reseal the bulkhead and try again. :)

-Randy

Solid advice! Clean the area good, hand tighten and you should be good to go!

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!

-Randy
Thanks Randy I will give that a shot instead of going to a wrench right off the bat.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back