Installing DOS outside

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone has their DOS pumps installed outdoors? I live in the San Diego area and we typically don't get a lot of rain or extreme temperatures. I use the DOS for auto water changes but this so loud in my living room that I only run it from 2 am to 6am so everyone is a sleep. I have my storage bins outside along the same wall as my tank. Right now my DOS is my tank cabinet.

I would like to move the DOS outside next to the storage bins. I was thinking at a minimum building a wooden cabinet I could mount off the ground or trying to find a weather proof enclosure that it will fit in. It would be mounted were the sprinklers don't hit and up against the house to limit exposure to elements.

Does this sound like a terrible idea? Has anyone done anything similar? Tips thoughts?

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not worried about direct sun. It's going to be in the shadow of the house most of the day and temp at my house in the summer on hot days is usually 80-85 degrees. I could easily add a small exhaust fan if it seemed to get warm. I don't know that there will be much more moisture than where it's mounted in my stand.

315wall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also bugs tend to find ways in things outside, could you put it in a box inside the house to block the noise ?

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my DOS AWC over almost a full 24 hours: much quieter as they run at slower speeds. It is in my cabinet, under my tank, in my living room. Noise level is a non-issue.

I also stagger the start and end times of each so that they don't run at the same time. This cuts the noise level in half.

The "fill" runs from 00:01 to 23:57.

The "remove" runs from 00:03 to 23:59.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend something from McMaster Carr or similar:

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone here and it just needs to stay out of the elements and bugless.
In San Diego your weather will be fine as you will not have freezing temps.

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy, get an outdoor electrical project box. Mount it in that. Outside and waterproof.

1mAXQzE.jpg

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my DOS AWC over almost a full 24 hours: much quieter as they run at slower speeds. It is in my cabinet, under my tank, in my living room. Noise level is a non-issue.

I also stagger the start and end times of each so that they don't run at the same time. This cuts the noise level in half.

The "fill" runs from 00:01 to 23:57.

The "remove" runs from 00:03 to 23:59.

I originally had 1.8 gallon AWC over 24 hours. Every 10 min it would run for about 60 to 90 seconds. It ran that way for two weeks. Everyone that came over ask "what is that sound". Maybe I have a abnormally loud unit.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try the staggered schedule. Cuts noise level in half. Mine is much louder when not staggered.

Mine is mounted on inside cabinet wall. Are getting some resonance somehow?

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RODI station is outside next to the house. Exposed to the elements but sheltered in a 2 metre gap between my house and my next-door neighbour. I have an open roofed cabinet it is in - protected on 3 sides and top but open at the front. I am going to fit a simple removable front to it however to stop mud splattering in when it rains and also reduce the noise of my 2 DOS heads I use for AWCs in case it annoys my neighbours. Sorry for the poor photo, it’s rather tight in there. Th roof is removed in this shot.
7787FFAC-0180-477C-92BC-D33D5347D34B.jpeg

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RODI station is outside next to the house. Exposed to the elements but sheltered in a 2 metre gap between my house and my next-door neighbour. I have an open roofed cabinet it is in - protected on 3 sides and top but open at the front. I am going to fit a simple removable front to it however to stop mud splattering in when it rains and also reduce the noise of my 2 DOS heads I use for AWCs in case it annoys my neighbours. Sorry for the poor photo, it’s rather tight in there. Th roof is removed in this shot.
7787FFAC-0180-477C-92BC-D33D5347D34B.jpeg
Thank you for sharing. Very similar to what I would like to do.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back