Installing Red Sea Roller Mat 500 in Reefer 350, V1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the life of me I'm not sure just what I have to remove. I have the version one sump and the on line help says I need to remove the sock trays. Just the trays? Where to hang the roller mat if the trays are gone? Was it meant to remove all items for the sock trays and have the roller mat free standing? Really confused here. Thank you all and hopefully someone else already did this.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you refer to this page it shows the two ways you can install it. You need to select the 350 model. If you plan to remove the media trays it indicates the sections (in yellow) that you need to remove. It also has an alternate configuration that retains the RO reservoir.

OP
OP
James Emory

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you refer to this page it shows the two ways you can install it. You need to select the 350 model. If you plan to remove the media trays it indicates the sections (in yellow) that you need to remove. It also has an alternate configuration that retains the RO reservoir.

Thank you. I did not find this on line. Looks like I have to remove the entire sock section.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I did not find this on line. Looks like I have to remove the entire sock section.
Or you can leave the reservoir in-place over the filter sock chamber and go with Option 2. On my 750 I'm opting to remove the filter sock chamber entirely to expand the refugium/media chamber.

350-options.png

OP
OP
James Emory

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want nothing to do with cleaning socks and the ATO reservoir was taken off months ago. The float valve keeps clogging up and it is a PITA to remove to clean. I'm going with option 1 but removing the sump from the cabinet to make the job easier. It needs a good cleaning anyway. Thanks for your comment.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want nothing to do with cleaning socks and the ATO reservoir was taken off months ago. The float valve keeps clogging up and it is a PITA to remove to clean. I'm going with option 1 but removing the sump from the cabinet to make the job easier. It needs a good cleaning anyway. Thanks for your comment.
Best of luck! Removing my sump isn't an option, so I'll have to make do in the confines of the cabinet!

OP
OP
James Emory

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, nope! Took me close to an hour - not including going around with a net to snag all the ting pieces of black silicone...
I can believe that. I thought Red Sea's comment about a 15 minute job was unrealistic. I'm figuring an hour to do the mod with the sump out of the cabinet and in an accessible area. We will see when I start.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can believe that. I thought Red Sea's comment about a 15 minute job was unrealistic. I'm figuring an hour to do the mod with the sump out of the cabinet and in an accessible area. We will see when I start.
Empty, raised on a pedestal and flood lighting - maybe 15min after you've practised it a half dozen times beforehand... It took me 3.5 hours, but I also did a lot of cleaning, maintenance, silicone cleanup and reorganization. The actual cutting took maybe 40min with another 20min cleaning the silicone residue off.

OP
OP
James Emory

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Empty, raised on a pedestal and flood lighting - maybe 15min after you've practised it a half dozen times beforehand... It took me 3.5 hours, but I also did a lot of cleaning, maintenance, silicone cleanup and reorganization. The actual cutting took maybe 40min with another 20min cleaning the silicone residue off.

OP
OP
James Emory

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds more realistic and it will be worth the effort. Just the fact that no more socks to clean is a big plus and with the waste being out of the water, or I should say most of the waste. Not sure how fast that take up reel will advance everyday so...........

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds more realistic and it will be worth the effort. Just the fact that no more socks to clean is a big plus and with the waste being out of the water, or I should say most of the waste. Not sure how fast that take up reel will advance everyday so...........
So far I've used 5 feet in 12 hours - but I think this will start slowing down. I was hoping to get a month out of a roll, but that might have been unrealistic for my tank based on the number of inhabitants.

OP
OP
James Emory

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard anywhere from a month to two months. First time the roll will go fast as it does filter pretty darn fine. I'm getting anxious to get mine up and running. Hate the thought of pulling the sump out but it needs a good cleaning.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard anywhere from a month to two months. First time the roll will go fast as it does filter pretty darn fine. I'm getting anxious to get mine up and running. Hate the thought of pulling the sump out but it needs a good cleaning.
I've tried adjusting the amount of advancement from 0.8-1.0" to 0.4-0.6" to see if that makes any difference. Honestly, after what I went through - you'll probably find it a lot easier (or just less stressful) having full access to the sump from all sides and better lighting - which makes it a lot easier to avoid cutting into the main sump seams.

OP
OP
James Emory

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the advancement was automatic?? So I see you enter how much you want it to advance, correct.
I'm with you on cutting the panels out. Too darn hot out to do it today and I have to take a good look at how to get the plastic tray parts out. Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the advancement was automatic?? So I see you enter how much you want it to advance, correct.
I'm with you on cutting the panels out. Too darn hot out to do it today and I have to take a good look at how to get the plastic tray parts out. Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.
You have a few options. You can set it to automatically advance when the sensor gets triggered, you can set a schedule and then you can also define how much roll it advances when it does.

OP
OP
James Emory

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a few options. You can set it to automatically advance when the sensor gets triggered, you can set a schedule and then you can also define how much roll it advances when it does.
Looking at the large filter area in the Mat Roller filter I can see why it may be better to advance so all the filter material is new in the entire filter chamber. If one just advances until the sensor does not see water, you still are running a lot of water around the dirty filter area. The beauty of this filter is to get the waste out of the water unlike socks where water keeps passing through waste. Best thing to do is experiment I guess as like you say, I have a few options. Thanks for your comments, very helpful.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the large filter area in the Mat Roller filter I can see why it may be better to advance so all the filter material is new in the entire filter chamber. If one just advances until the sensor does not see water, you still are running a lot of water around the dirty filter area. The beauty of this filter is to get the waste out of the water unlike socks where water keeps passing through waste. Best thing to do is experiment I guess as like you say, I have a few options. Thanks for your comments, very helpful.
So far I've experimented with 3 settings:
* 0.8-1.0" (lowest daily usage; 24 hours)
* 1.8-2.0" (second highest daily usage; 18 hours)
* 3.8-4.0" (highest daily usage; 6 hours only)

OP
OP
James Emory

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I've experimented with 3 settings:
* 0.8-1.0" (lowest daily usage; 24 hours)
* 1.8-2.0" (second highest daily usage; 18 hours)
* 3.8-4.0" (highest daily usage; 6 hours only)
Which one did you settle on?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back