Instant Ocean - Not a debate ....Yeah yeah yeah there are way better salts. Not the question

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You joke, but really why not? Sodium chloride is the primary ingredient and our salt mixes. The guy with the 17k reef tank uses basic kitchen salt and epsom salt (combined with ESV liquids).

Forget the salt, I need a fish room with an elevator!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You joke, but really why not? Sodium chloride is the primary ingredient and our salt mixes. The guy with the 17k reef tank uses basic kitchen salt and epsom salt (combined with ESV liquids).

Do you really want to know why not?

Sure, you can make your own salt mix, but you need lots of ingredients.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think mixing your own probably wouldn't be much cheaper than IO. A 50 gallon bag (12lbs) is $10 on Amazon/chewy with free shipping.

It definately will not be if you try to make a mix with a large number of components.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
in my 40 year history I've had reliable consistent results as for as one batch to another with IO, yes 40 years.
Whats everyone else's consistent mixing results at a salinity of 1.026. Or at your specific gravity ?
Calcium
Alkalinity
Magnesium
PH

Having some equipment monitoring issues and trying to narrow down multiple monitor failures, or is my salt really mixing here, and on top that, is my tank really here at these levels.
Its hard to answer any of your questions:

1. You need to figure out your monitoring issues - i.e. how could anyone interpret whether they were correct or not.
2. the answers you will receive will depend on how accurate - or how close to 1.026 the average answerers mix their salt
3. The best place to ask (IMHO) - and a suggestion - is to the makers of Instant ocean

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to answer any of your questions:

1. You need to figure out your monitoring issues - i.e. how could anyone interpret whether they were correct or not.
2. the answers you will receive will depend on how accurate - or how close to 1.026 the average answerers mix their salt
3. The best place to ask (IMHO) - and a suggestion - is to the makers of Instant ocean
That was the purpose of this question, at 1.026 what does your IO mix too, doesn't seem hard to "answer any of my questions"

was just looking for data, and the purpose of the question was to trouble shoot monitoring issues.

:)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back