Intank Media Basket and Refugium in Biocube 32

Maximus52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Setup Biocube 32 3 weeks ago with Coral Pro SW in RO water, 20# Reef Flakes, 22# Live Rock from LFS, and currently running stock basket with Stock filter on top, polyfilter on first tray, purigen on second tray, and chemipire elite on third tray. I feel that only part of my media basket is getting hit with water. I also have acceptable PO4 levels, but higher than I think should be measured. I was wanting to use these media, but was hoping to get thoughts on the Intank media basket, fuge in the 32.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup Biocube 32 3 weeks ago with Coral Pro SW in RO water, 20# Reef Flakes, 22# Live Rock from LFS, and currently running stock basket with Stock filter on top, polyfilter on first tray, purigen on second tray, and chemipire elite on third tray. I feel that only part of my media basket is getting hit with water. I also have acceptable PO4 levels, but higher than I think should be measured. I was wanting to use these media, but was hoping to get thoughts on the Intank media basket, fuge in the 32.
I used their media basket on an ole Red Sea 130 and it was a great upgrade for take particular tank but I have no experience with the Intank Media fuge.

Also, Welcome to Reef 2 Reef. :)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a media basket in a bc29, here are my pros and cons. I used to split chamber 2 with the media basket and the tunze protein skimmer. I found the protein skimmer to be rather ineffective and I pulled it. The basket is good in a sense that it will direct water efficiently through any media you wish to use. A con is that adjusting the overflow can be a pain to keep from gurgleing and the filter pad will get clogged rather quickly due to a small footprint. Trying to put a fuge in such a small area may prove to be difficult and ineffective. I dropped a pump in the second 1/2 of chamber 2 to feed an a algae reactor placed in the stand. Research algae reactors and you may find that to be a better choice than trying a fuge in 1/2 of chamber 2.

OP
OP
Maximus52

Maximus52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've decided to switch from polyfilter to filterfloss and switch the floss once a week when I do water changes. The reactors look interesting but I'm going to try to chaeto fuge first since I've got the equipment on the way.

Joshua Huff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 32 that has been running since march, I like using the stock filter rack. I use the blue and white filter floss on the top of the rack, 2 thick black mesh filters in the 2nd tray, 1 bag of BRS 0.8 carbon and Purigen in the 3rd rack (with the option of a bag of phosgaurd or whatever if needed) an 3 Media bags full of seachems Media. I suppose there are a lot of ways to set it up in the back, thats what makes the all in one systems cool to me, i was going for an easy to clean system.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back