Interceptor Spectrum - Amount to dose per water volume - Advice needed

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I discovered red bugs on a frag a few days ago. I was able to source some interceptor from a local reefer yesterday. Its Interceptor Spectrum, Chewable tablets. The large tablets, 22-45kg. The reefer I got it from said he used the whole large chewy in his 300g TWV. My system is 100g (TWV) so I'm assuming I'll be using 1/3 of the large chewable.

I see conflicting information, alot of it seems out dated and not the chewable type of interceptor that contains 23mg of milbemycin oxime; 228mg praziquantel. I've seen measurement amounts using Salifert measuring spoons / 23mg per 380g/ people doubling down the dosage ect.

Any up to date information on dosing amounts, specifically with these large dog chewables?

A picture of the buggers
DSC_0065.jpg

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you should use the Interceptor with prazi.
That was a concern of mine too. But after looking around I've seen several successful treatments with this exact type of intercepter.

We will see, I've decided to dose it. I've crushed up the large pill to fine dust. I used an old chemiclean scooper and it measured out to 8 pressed scoops. I dosed slightly over 2 scoops for 100 gallons total water volume.

I'll update on how it works tomorrow. I plan to do a 20% water change around 10 pm, so a 10 hour treatment, and run carbon.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The recommendations on dosage that Dustin at ORA put out long ago are still good.

I don't think that the Prazi does much at that dosage. Some people dose prazi directly to their reef tanks to treat flukes in fish.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The recommendations on dosage that Dustin at ORA put out long ago are still good.

I don't think that the Prazi does much at that dosage. Some people dose prazi directly to their reef tanks to treat flukes in fish.
@jda do you feel multiple treatments are necessary for red bugs? I've read they don't have an egg stage and some report only a single dose is needed.

BYU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’ve treated 5x the dose with out any problems in the past
i would boil the water to make sure it mixes completely
good luck
but it was totally safe for me
except you will have to refill your pod population and be super paranoid for years

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the prazi version too, without problems. I would do a follow-up treatment to be sure. If the first dose isn't high enough or the medication has degraded, then you may have some bugs survive.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thats great to know the prazi version is good too. I'll do a follow up treatment to be safe.

I think i got these about 2 weeks ago when I got the frag pictured. I have great polyp extension in my tank currently but have had 2 pieces pale on me. I thought it was a reaction to cleaner water but its probably do to the red bugs. More polyp extension is always welcome! :)

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three treatments is better. Some seem like they can slip by the first dose.
I've got enough so I'll just follow through with it then.

I just read that some find as they get farther along in the follow up doses is when they see shrimps, crabs ect start to drop off so I wanted to make sure it was necessary as I couldn't get everything out.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be on the lookout for AEFW after you treat. Lots of people have had AEFW pop up after treating for red bugs - seems that the red bugs somehow keep the AEFW under control. This is not absolute, or anything, but worth a few minutes to check in a few weeks.

I would dose at the "normal" level. While many times more than normal is quite coral safe, it can kill crabs, shrimps and even starfish whereas the normal level seems to not kill mini brittle stars and the stuff that you can not get out (as much).

There is a dip now with MBE in it... forgot the name. Will post back if I can find it. Don't know if a dose recommended for whole tank treatment is available for fresh product that is easy to get. Edit: Dr. G's coral dip, maybe?

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be on the lookout for AEFW after you treat. Lots of people have had AEFW pop up after treating for red bugs - seems that the red bugs somehow keep the AEFW under control. This is not absolute, or anything, but worth a few minutes to check in a few weeks.

I would dose at the "normal" level. While many times more than normal is quite coral safe, it can kill crabs, shrimps and even starfish whereas the normal level seems to not kill mini brittle stars and the stuff that you can not get out (as much).

There is a dip now with MBE in it... forgot the name. Will post back if I can find it. Don't know if a dose recommended for whole tank treatment is available for fresh product that is easy to get. Edit: Dr. G's coral dip, maybe?
Always on the lookout with AEFW. I've had my battle with that jerks. I ended up breaking down my tank and moving everything to a frag tank were I did the dip protocol ect. I really hope those did make their way by the melafix dip I did on these pieces. I had just ran out of bayer, and this is what i get.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only been 2 hours but I still see the red bugs, hopefully I went strong enough. I guess I'll find out around 10 tonight.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have been a little heavy handed. Cleaner shrimp did but turned into a meal for the fish. I only had a few hermits but they are gone.
Good news is the red bugs are gone.
Harlequin shrimp appears to be alive. I’ll probably run some carbon tonight and water change tomorrow.
I’m assuming my skimmer will probably go crazy for a bit?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 40 32.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back