Interested in fish I have no experience with

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife has a 16 biocube for nano community fish. Slowly upgrading the pumps, lighting etc on it. Should be fun.
That’s interesting!
Also, as for fish you may not have had experience with, if you liked the dusky then why not go deeper into that genus or even the labrids? Halichoeres iridis is a beautiful species and relatively hard to get shipped but get it from the right people and you’ll do great.
Another option you could do more on the predatory side is a species of waspfish (The cockatoo wasp is unusual).
@Things_With_Stings_Reef may be able to add to the list of venomous/predatory fish fit for a 60g tank.

Whatever you go for I’m sure the R2R community would love to know!

OP
OP
bigbugoutfitters

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tips for scape that lions enjoy, they do need a cave, maybe even a couple to choose from. They will perch on the vertical face of rocks. They may get less active in sps flow so provide areas protected from direct blast. They will likely end up perching alot or hanging in their cave if the flow is overwhelming.
Definitely. I am looking at getting a gyre and pare it with something that gives of a wider flow. I am not looking for sps dominant by any means, just something for the top portions of my aquascape. In all honesty, my favorite sps' are plating montis however id love to eventually grow out some tabling acros. From the videos of the gyres it seems to me that the top portions of the tanks definitely get the most flow and the bottom of the tank doesnt get blasted as bad. Could be good for the slower swimmers.... But for sure the scape is going to play the largest role. Picking up 70 pounds of rock on friday so I am excited to get started on planning my scape, though I wont even have the tank up until the end of the month or early june.
That’s interesting!
Also, as for fish you may not have had experience with, if you liked the dusky then why not go deeper into that genus or even the labrids? Halichoeres iridis is a beautiful species and relatively hard to get shipped but get it from the right people and you’ll do great.
Another option you could do more on the predatory side is a species of waspfish (The cockatoo wasp is unusual).
@Things_With_Stings_Reef may be able to add to the list of venomous/predatory fish fit for a 60g tank.

Whatever you go for I’m sure the R2R community would love to know!
Love the Idris! Definitely have thought about keeping my eye out for one. Other of the Halichoeres I have been looking at are the biocellatus, cyanocephalus, radiatus, and chrysotaenia. I am not actually familiar with the labrids... Once had a Thalassoma bifasciatum, loved it, but definitely an *******.

For stocking I am curently thinking or the following in order:
Yellow corris wrasse
Some Halichoeres wrasse
Longnose Hawkfish
Some type of Canthigaster puffer
Dwarf Fuzzy Lionfish

Maybe a tomini tang, but in all honesty I am a wrasse guy, if it is possible to get a third wrasse I would probably do that. Possibly a Coris, another halichoeres like the dusky, and one of the leopard wrasses.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Big boys and small tanks dont mix well. While you have listed nice specimens, you are perhaps forgetting tank dimensions and ability for them to swim. A couple also have different dietary needs and those listed are not the best housekeepers increasing the need fr maintenance.
A 55g Minimal would be more suitable as well as filtering capabilities

OP
OP
bigbugoutfitters

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big boys and small tanks dont mix well. While you have listed nice specimens, you are perhaps forgetting tank dimensions and ability for them to swim. A couple also have different dietary needs and those listed are not the best housekeepers increasing the need fr maintenance.
A 55g Minimal would be more suitable as well as filtering capabilities
Yep, which is why I have decided to go to 75 rather than the 60. 30 gallon sump, macros in the tank. I am really interested in trying to put a few mangrove in the tank as well but with the jump risk of wrasses I dont think that would work. Perhaps just in the sump.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yep, which is why I have decided to go to 75 rather than the 60. 30 gallon sump, macros in the tank. I am really interested in trying to put a few mangrove in the tank as well but with the jump risk of wrasses I dont think that would work. Perhaps just in the sump.
Mangroves thrive well in sumps and help keep nitrates reduced

OP
OP
bigbugoutfitters

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mangroves thrive well in sumps and help keep nitrates reduced
Had mangroves in the DT of my Frogfish tank, definitely helped. Any further thoughts on stocking list considering that it would be in a 4' 75 gallon tank. Good filtration, and a Monday, Wednesday, Friday water change schedule. So 3 gallons 3 times a week once the tank has enough fish to warrant such water changes.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an idea. Do a mangrove set up with Florida predators. There are a few to choose from, Sand perch, stone fish, Volitan lion, Hogfish, Porkfish, Toadfish, or oddities like a puffer, cowfish or filefish.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely. I am looking at getting a gyre and pare it with something that gives of a wider flow. I am not looking for sps dominant by any means, just something for the top portions of my aquascape. In all honesty, my favorite sps' are plating montis however id love to eventually grow out some tabling acros. From the videos of the gyres it seems to me that the top portions of the tanks definitely get the most flow and the bottom of the tank doesnt get blasted as bad. Could be good for the slower swimmers.... But for sure the scape is going to play the largest role. Picking up 70 pounds of rock on friday so I am excited to get started on planning my scape, though I wont even have the tank up until the end of the month or early june.

Love the Idris! Definitely have thought about keeping my eye out for one. Other of the Halichoeres I have been looking at are the biocellatus, cyanocephalus, radiatus, and chrysotaenia. I am not actually familiar with the labrids... Once had a Thalassoma bifasciatum, loved it, but definitely an *******.

Yellow corris wrasse
Some Halichoeres wrasse
Longnose Hawkfish
Dwarf Fuzzy Lionfish

Maybe a tomini tang, but in all honesty I am a wrasse guy, if it is possible to get a third wrasse I would probably do that. Possibly a Coris, another halichoeres like the dusky, and one of the leopard wrasses.

Smaller wrasses and the hawkfish can be on the menu of the lionfish if not sized properly or the lion fish isn't acclimated to captive living. The blue spotted puffer is a notorious nipper and housing with lions usually doesn't end well. The others would be a better bet with my fav recommendation being the leopard.

OP
OP
bigbugoutfitters

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller wrasses and the hawkfish can be on the menu of the lionfish if not sized properly or the lion fish isn't acclimated to captive living. The blue spotted puffer is a notorious nipper and housing with lions usually doesn't end well. The others would be a better bet with my fav recommendation being the leopard.
Definitely the reason why I am not going to go with the pixy hawkfish. Looks like the longnose hawkfish gets up to 5" and the wrasses are all 5+ that I am looking at. The lion would be the last addition, and I would make sure to get it as the smallest fish in the tank probably 1/5-2". I was reading a thread you posted on a few years back regarding lions and puffers, sounded like it was kinda up in the air weather you got a nipper or not. Definitely have time to look into the compatibility of those two more. Are there other of the dwarf puffers that are better suited to live with lions in your opinion?
Additionally, I would LOVE a leopard. Definitely will wait til the tank matures and the refugium really gets going. negrosensis and bipartitus inparticular.

OP
OP
bigbugoutfitters

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an idea. Do a mangrove set up with Florida predators. There are a few to choose from, Sand perch, stone fish, Volitan lion, Hogfish, Porkfish, Toadfish, or oddities like a puffer, cowfish or filefish.
Would definitely be a fun tank to do some day, however I think the 75 would be a bit small for a lot of those. I think if I wasnt over 2000 miles away from florida I would be more prone to do that. Haha!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yellow corris wrasse
Some Halichoeres wrasse
Longnose Hawkfish
Dwarf Fuzzy Lionfish

The yellow “coris” wrasse is actually the same genus as the iridis and they’re often mentioned close to eachother.
the Labrids involve these genera and are filled with colour, activity and speed.
Halichoeres, Coris, Cirrhilabrus, Paracheilinus, Macropharyngodon, Xenojulis, Novaculichthys, Anampses, Thalassoma ect… The best for aggressive are:
Novaculichthys, Coris, Thalassoma, Ghomposus ect.. Halichoeres are good for peaceful but they can stand up for themselves.
Here’s my two Halichoeres (Bear in mind brother of them should get along), Halichoeres iridis and Halichoeres chloropterus. The chloropterus gets rather large so I’m unsure of if I’ll be keeping him long term but the iridis is peaceful but happily stands up for himself against the chloropterus.
A6D70409-A9EB-4868-AA20-6C903CA82206.jpeg
61806217-F243-4DBB-876E-43C2BB6AA644.jpeg
B76789AB-0BC3-4E1F-857B-44C2C1C38C94.jpeg
C3FEFDCD-30A5-4422-A158-54ED01E6B945.jpeg
BCEFBEF1-21B0-488D-B8DE-65117BED7D92.jpeg
4C5EE3EC-7320-4F8C-BCF9-60252BD595E5.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely the reason why I am not going to go with the pixy hawkfish. Looks like the longnose hawkfish gets up to 5" and the wrasses are all 5+ that I am looking at. The lion would be the last addition, and I would make sure to get it as the smallest fish in the tank probably 1/5-2". I was reading a thread you posted on a few years back regarding lions and puffers, sounded like it was kinda up in the air weather you got a nipper or not. Definitely have time to look into the compatibility of those two more. Are there other of the dwarf puffers that are better suited to live with lions in your opinion?
Additionally, I would LOVE a leopard. Definitely will wait til the tank matures and the refugium really gets going. negrosensis and bipartitus inparticular.

I was talking about the Canthigaster leoparda. Those green spots are horrible nippers as well. The Canthigaster valentini would also be a better bet than the blue spot.

OP
OP
bigbugoutfitters

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking about the Canthigaster leoparda. Those green spots are horrible nippers as well.
Ah, alright, well, I figure when it comes to lions, I better trust your word ;)
The yellow “coris” wrasse is actually the same genus as the iridis and they’re often mentioned close to eachother.
the Labrids involve these genera and are filled with colour, activity and speed.
Halichoeres, Coris, Cirrhilabrus, Paracheilinus, Macropharyngodon, Xenojulis, Novaculichthys, Anampses, Thalassoma ect… The best for aggressive are:
Novaculichthys, Coris, Thalassoma, Ghomposus ect.. Halichoeres are good for peaceful but they can stand up for themselves.
Here’s my two Halichoeres (Bear in mind brother of them should get along), Halichoeres iridis and Halichoeres chloropterus. The chloropterus gets rather large so I’m unsure of if I’ll be keeping him long term but the iridis is peaceful but happily stands up for himself against the chloropterus.
A6D70409-A9EB-4868-AA20-6C903CA82206.jpeg
61806217-F243-4DBB-876E-43C2BB6AA644.jpeg
B76789AB-0BC3-4E1F-857B-44C2C1C38C94.jpeg
C3FEFDCD-30A5-4422-A158-54ED01E6B945.jpeg
BCEFBEF1-21B0-488D-B8DE-65117BED7D92.jpeg
4C5EE3EC-7320-4F8C-BCF9-60252BD595E5.jpeg
Of those that you mentioned are alright in an aggressive tank, it is my understanding that they are all sorta monsters... one of my favorite fish is Thalassoma hardwicke but I am not sure if I will ever keep one due to what I have read, heard and seen. Do you have any of those aggressive species that would do in a 75 gallon with this stocking list? One other fish that has caught my eye over the years is the marine betta, but I think even mentioning that is going to open another can of worms.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, alright, well, I figure when it comes to lions, I better trust your word ;)

Of those that you mentioned are alright in an aggressive tank, it is my understanding that they are all sorta monsters... one of my favorite fish is Thalassoma hardwicke but I am not sure if I will ever keep one due to what I have read, heard and seen. Do you have any of those aggressive species that would do in a 75 gallon with this stocking list? One other fish that has caught my eye over the years is the marine betta, but I think even mentioning that is going to open another can of worms.
IMHO, don’t go for a thalassoma hardwicke as they can be monsters, I’d probably say go for a Halichoeres as whilst they’re labelled as peaceful they pack a punch with standing up for themselves. Same with fairy wrasses (Cirrhilabrus melanomarginatus is a good large species, as is Cirrhilabrus roseafascia).

OP
OP
bigbugoutfitters

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, definitely no Hardwicke. I am thinking Yellow Coris or Radiant, Dusky or a type of Leopard wrasse, and perhaps a Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura/Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus/Cirrhilabrus scottorum. But looking at the cirrhilabrus, it looks like they are all recommended for 90 gallon tanks vs the halichoeres wrasses that I have been looking at that while larger are recommended for 55 and up. Must be more active swimmers, never had a fairy wrasse. In all honesty, the only one that I that is a definite is the Dusky, but any of the others are up for play. Possibly dusky, leopard wrasse, and one of the cirrhilabrus. Do love the Scottorum, but I am worried about tank size.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, definitely no Hardwicke. I am thinking Yellow Coris or Radiant, Dusky or a type of Leopard wrasse, and perhaps a Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura/Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus/Cirrhilabrus scottorum. But looking at the cirrhilabrus, it looks like they are all recommended for 90 gallon tanks vs the halichoeres wrasses that I have been looking at that while larger are recommended for 55 and up. Must be more active swimmers, never had a fairy wrasse. In all honesty, the only one that I that is a definite is the Dusky, but any of the others are up for play. Possibly dusky, leopard wrasse, and one of the cirrhilabrus. Do love the Scottorum, but I am worried about tank size.
If I remember correctly the only difference between the 75 and a 90 is the height. Many fairies (Especially the larger 6” species) do swim however it’s more for when they flash that the 4’ tanks are recommended. My melanomarginatus (Close relative to the Scottorum) almost never flashes however due to that he has gone rather dull. Here’s the nicest photo I got of him I think - He’s currently 4 inch, I think he may be pushing 4.5 and the Jade pushing 5 though (I haven’t really tried to measure him as he is WAY too fast t get a photo of).
BED3BCAE-DDCB-476A-BDE3-1BED62CCAE83.jpeg

OP
OP
bigbugoutfitters

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be a fun tank. Itll be my 7th tank or so, and the first time I am living in a place that I plan to be in for atleast the next 4 years or so. Very excited for it to start coming together visually!
If I remember correctly the only difference between the 75 and a 90 is the height. Many fairies (Especially the larger 6” species) do swim however it’s more for when they flash that the 4’ tanks are recommended. My melanomarginatus (Close relative to the Scottorum) almost never flashes however due to that he has gone rather dull. Here’s the nicest photo I got of him I think - He’s currently 4 inch, I think he may be pushing 4.5 and the Jade pushing 5 though (I haven’t really tried to measure him as he is WAY too fast t get a photo of).
BED3BCAE-DDCB-476A-BDE3-1BED62CCAE83.jpeg
I remember doing some reading on why some wrasses dont flash and end up losing their color. Correct me if i am wrong nut isnt it due to tank size and lacking a female of the same species? I feel like it would be shame to wait forever to find a tongan or Australian scotts fairy wrasse and for it to dull out due to lack of tank size or love interest.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be a fun tank. Itll be my 7th tank or so, and the first time I am living in a place that I plan to be in for atleast the next 4 years or so. Very excited for it to start coming together visually!

I remember doing some reading on why some wrasses dont flash and end up losing their color. Correct me if i am wrong nut isnt it due to tank size and lacking a female of the same species? I feel like it would be shame to wait forever to find a tongan or Australian scotts fairy wrasse and for it to dull out due to lack of tank size or love interest.
You may assume it’s size of tank but my naokoae loves to flash in my Max Nano (It’s not a long flash but I have caught him do it and manage to change to the nuptial colours). They dull out due to no females however if I remember correctly the Australian Scott’s will only lose the red splotch on its side and keep the fins colouration as I actually wanted that species and not the melanomarginatus. Fairy wrasses will flash if there’s a similar species in the tank, my melanomarginatus doesn’t flash but my two Lubbock’s will flash at eachother and go all out with colours.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish I have really been thinking about and believe should be fine, just not sure on how they will all get along:

1 Mombasa Lionfish/fu manchu/dwarf(just one, in order of preference, and availability)
1 blue spotted/spotted/central American sharpnose puffer (just one, in order of preference, and availability)
1 Dusky wrasse(had one of these in my last tank, by far favorite fish ive seen)
Either some flasher/fairy wrasse or a Halichoeres chrysus(had one of these in the past, loved it)
1 pixy hawkfish

Fish that i would love, but feel free to talk me out of:
tomini tangs are cool, but this is a 60 gallon :'(
ghost ribbon eel

I have been looking at liveaquaria with my wife for the last few years dreaming about coming to a place in our lives where I/we can get back into the hobby. Well, I am currently building a stand for a 60G tank! Nice! My previous tanks have been wrasse focused and i definitely would like a wrasse or two, but I have always loved puffers and lions. As a kid our sunday brunch place had a FOWLR tank with triggers, a zebra moray, a spiny puffer and a big ol lionfish. Hawkfish would just be nice to watch rollin around on the rocks.

SO, from what I have read all of those fish are coral safe if not necessarily reef safe however I am not sure on the followning:
Stocking order being something like flasher, hawkfish, puffer, dusky wrasse(wanting a more mature tank, waiting longer), maybe tang, maybe eel, lionfish?
Is the bio load going to be bonkers on this tank, will have a fair bit of macro algae so that should help
thinking about going with tampa bay saltwater live sand, should be fine for the dusky wrasse to burrow into, no?

If you have any other questions about the build or plans for the tank, please do ask, thanks!
Ribbons are very hard to keep, and are best for more experienced eel keepers.

Careful with overstocking, many of those are quite large, and the tank is somewhat small.

Lionfish are venomous and can be aggressive, so watch out.

The tank likely would not be great for corals. More hardy macro and soft coral could be good, careful of spread, it may be hard (and unsafe) to get hands inside the tank.

I think Dusky wrasse need 70 gallons or more

TBS live sand is good yeah

puffers can eat corals

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 65 76.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.9%
Back