Interested in starting a nano... help!!

femalereefer523

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!! So I have a 55 gallon set up and a 180 gallon set up, but both of those were primarily set up by my fiancé. I am now very invested in the hobby and would love to have a tank of my own, so I want to look into setting up a nano tank for my office (anywhere from 10-25 gallons) but I need some input. Any help is appreciated!

Saltwaterserb4c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!! So I have a 55 gallon set up and a 180 gallon set up, but both of those were primarily set up by my fiancé. I am now very invested in the hobby and would love to have a tank of my own, so I want to look into setting up a nano tank for my office (anywhere from 10-25 gallons) but I need some input. Any help is appreciated!

I have a 32 Gallon biocube. Had it for about 5 years now. Love it. Amazing for starters, but still good room to get creative, expand and grow. Do you have any specific questions?

Nanoreefboi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do, just make sure to do a water change at least once a week. My nitrates in my 10g nuvo never went above 2ppm with this method.

codytbuckner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up a 20 gallon nano as we speak!
4ECDF671-C997-464B-9592-8BE744DEC4BC.jpeg
13374E66-F9F8-4426-9772-1A4A9B3D3C6F.jpeg

OP
OP
femalereefer523

femalereefer523

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tips on how to start properly from the beginning... I'm hoping for a zoa garden that I can start and allow to grow. What type of tank, lighting (I was thinking AI prime but is LED only good enough for zoa growth?), how long to allow it to cycle before coral placement, tips for minimizing algae, bacteria, and pest issues, flow recommendations, or just general tips?

banasophia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 16, a nuvo 10, and just about to start a biocube 32... both of the smaller tanks could be good options depending on the space you have available, the style of tank you like, and what you would like to stock.

codytbuckner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tips on how to start properly from the beginning... I'm hoping for a zoa garden that I can start and allow to grow. What type of tank, lighting (I was thinking AI prime but is LED only good enough for zoa growth?), how long to allow it to cycle before coral placement, tips for minimizing algae, bacteria, and pest issues, flow recommendations, or just general tips?
I single AI prime is perfect for a nano tank. There are plenty of threads here on how to cycle a tank. Check them out and let us know what you think!

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 16 gallon BioCube in my classroom. I love it but it has its drawbacks. I got it for free so I never complain. Get something open top. If you’re like us you’ll be removing it fast to better customize the lighting. Also, if you get an AIO pay attention to rear chamber space so you can use the equipment you want and not feel constrained after the fact. That’s my little bit of advice.

FragileReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Buy a 15-25g all in one tank
2. Buy a Auto top off
3. Buy heater
4. Buy AI prime
5. buy two 3-5g buckets (One for mixing water and one for siphoning old water out.)

Add water to your tank. Salt it up. Add rocks and sand. Wait a month. Add 1 livestock. Take a bucket of water out, add a bucket of fresh once a week. after 2 months add corals

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back