Interesting Alkalinity graph during blackout...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You might have read where I was blacking out my tank for a few days to combat some persistent green algae. You also might know that I am currently helping test the Neptune Trident. Looking at my Alkalinity log today from my Apex and the Trident I was able to see that since I started the blackout on Wednesday that my alkalinity consumption has gone down I assume because the corals are without light and are not needing it as much. I haven't adjusted my alk at all.

Just thought you might find it interesting!

Untitled-2.jpg

@Terence

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump!

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with comments above. Definitely makes sense. At least it wasn’t huge dip. Your PH was likely affected as well. Glad the blackout helped some.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that picture brings back bad memories. That's exactly what my alkalinity did right as my dino problem began. Glad in your case it's for a known and benign reason. I think that is one way to assess the effect of changes on our tank. If your corals don't like it the alkalinity demand may decrease.

Last edited:

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puts into perspective how serious lights out can be. Im sure the alk isnt the only thing changing.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have read where I was blacking out my tank for a few days to combat some persistent green algae. You also might know that I am currently helping test the Neptune Trident. Looking at my Alkalinity log today from my Apex and the Trident I was able to see that since I started the blackout on Wednesday that my alkalinity consumption has gone down I assume because the corals are without light and are not needing it as much. I haven't adjusted my alk at all.

Just thought you might find it interesting!

Untitled-2.jpg

@Terence

If you aren’t adjusting the alkalinity, i.e., dosing, why would it increase? Granted, it is only 0.5 DKH or about 1/6 meq/L. The only mechanism that comes to mind is nitrate reduction. Is the nitrate level declining? Test method drifting?

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. I recently replaced my 4 bulb Ati power module with an 8 bulb powermodule and my alk and calcium uptake skyrocketed.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. But it doesn't quite make sense to me. I would have expected to see it more or less level, but not rising.
@revhtree, when you say you haven't adjusted your alkalinity, does that mean no autodosing, Ca reactor, kalkwasser, etc. at all?
How do you explain the rise?

NJ Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I had read this before doing a black out to combat dinos. I had an 4 dKH spike over 3 days and unfortunately lost some prize SPS frags. Live and learn.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s to be expected. The only way to see this type of Alk change is by testing multiple times a day. I was surprised when I started testing 4x/day with my Alkatronic how much the fluctuation really is.

I’ve since split my dosing schedule into two (lights off / lights on). I dose Cal/Alk about double during the day as I do at night which keeps it more level throughout day and night.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back