Interesting discovery

sesbalders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all

Been a while since my last post.

so since then, I had a horrific breakout of diatoms, and I mean horrific!!! Even a turbo snail was covered!!!

Anyway, went to my lfs. And picked the guys brains, he suggested that it was probably a build up of silicates from water, bit odd I thought, as I have only ever used RO water from another lfs, however I took him at his word but decided to wait a couple of weeks. The issue got worse and worse, (at this point I will add that I had introduced my first fish 2 weeks prior). In the back of my mind I’m thinking bio load imbalance, however the tank had been set up for ages and cycled for a couple of months.

Again anyway, at this point I’m still struggling after blackouts limiting feeding etc etc. so I decided to take the guys word of a silicate build up and added a pack of seachem phosguard as it’s advertised as taking out phosphates and silicates in one go. Good I thought!!!! Well it killed both my shrimps ( cleaner and peppermint) inside 5 days from bad moults. (Lack of phosphates……. Yes I know now!!!!!!)

so fast forward 2 weeks, the diatoms had gone. Awesome! Problem is now they have made way for the dreaded dinos and they were bad. Real real bad!! To the point the entire tank was brown. At one point I simply couldn’t see through the glass.

I searched on here and I found a weird thread that was kind of related to dinos etc, someone mentioned a point that rang in my ears, they had heard that most of the time dinos, diatoms etc rarely go away without the addition of something.

so last month in desperation, I went to another lfs, to see if I could find some bacteria to dose the tank with. There were some odd non specific marine/freshwater products which is common here in the uk. I wasn’t particularly sold. Then I stumbled across a product called aqua pure reef balance. It’s a weird pack of jelly balls, the instructions said it was a mixture of bacteria and enzymes, and in normal conditions to dose 2 balls per 50ltrs, well my tank looked like the bottom of a oil tanker so I doubled it. Then for a two week period added 2 balls every time I fed the livestock.

now bare in mind, id had an algae problem that had been worsening and worsening for 3 weeks, to a point I thought it was game over.

It all cleared in 3 days. It’s still clear 2 weeks later. I’ve doubled my feeding regiment and it’s still clear.

I’m not promoting the product so much as the theory that this stuff only goes away with the addition of another factor.

just my 10 cents worth

SaltLife77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am battling the horrible dinos now myself, good for you that you found something that worked! I will read up on this product . Thank you for sharing and I hope the dinos stay gone!!

mikeytrw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, that's really interesting. Do you know what species of Dinos you had?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never heard of these before but I’m interested in the theory behind it. Gonna have to look into these a bit. Glad to hear you beat the dinos so far with just that. Much easier of a process than most end up going through lol hopefully they stay gone.

mikeytrw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah OK. I'm currently fighting with Small Cell and Large Cell Amphidinium. Dosing Silicates to induce a heavy diatom bloom and adding bacteria and biodiversity with MB7, AF Life Source and I've just ordered some of these things as well.

OP
OP
S

sesbalders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply, I don’t have the kit to self diagnose type, however the lfs said I had both amphidinium and coolia present in a sample I took in.
The guy said It was the first time he’d seen coolia, maybe I should feel honoured or something!!!
I’m still clear as I post, the only thing visible in the tank is a blob of something brownish on the plastic side wall of the tank, I’ve got an fluval evo, and some stringy stuff on the nozzles.
All in all I’m still seeing good results.

zpete3323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is just a small piece of the puzzle but do feed frozen foods and do you rinse them? I used to always battle with a dino and lowered my silicates by draining off the foggy melt water before I fed my frozen mysis shrimp. Night and day difference for such a small change

I will have to give that product a shot next time I inevitably have another dino outbreak too!

OP
OP
S

sesbalders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is just a small piece of the puzzle but do feed frozen foods and do you rinse them? I used to always battle with a dino and lowered my silicates by draining off the foggy melt water before I fed my frozen mysis shrimp. Night and day difference for such a small change

I will have to give that product a shot next time I inevitably have another dino outbreak too!
Ah now that’s an interesting point, the diatoms were prior fish, the dinos post, and the fish are fed frozen food.
No I don’t rinse it, I’ll try that going forward.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back