Interesting HLLE Experience

dcal1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had an interesting experience with head and lateral line erosion on my Tomini tang and thought I'd share. When searching through forums I didn't find a lot of information on recovery/healing so I wanted to provide what I could in real-time. Unfortunately, I didn't get any photos when it was at the worst but the lateral line was mostly white and there was significant peeling around the eyes/front of the head.

I purchased this fish on 10/13 and put him in my cycled 20-gallon quarantine tank initially for observation and with the intention of treating with Prazipro and Paraguard preventatively. The filtration was a typical HOB and I was initially using BRS bituminous carbon before the medication. Based on Jay's research on HLLE, I suspect this might have been one of the primary issues. After two weeks of feeding/observation, I removed carbon and began treating with Prazi. Within a couple of days, the fish started to show some signs of HLLE which progressed quickly. After some reading, I figured water quality in the small tank (although I was testing for ammonia) or remnants of carbon might have been contributing so I cut the QT short and moved the tang to my display.

The fish has now been in the display for a week and I have been feeding a mix of frozen foods with Selcon. It cruises CONSTANTLY grazing on algae which was absent in the QT. After a single week it is looking MUCH better with the lateral line almost completely healed and major improvement in the face. I will provide updates until it is (hopefully) fully healed but I thought others might appreciate some visual evidence.

HLLE.jpg

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is gonna be very helpful thread for those who are wondering how much time it takes approx. Like me lol.
I am also having a similar issue now. what is your mixed frozen food ingredients?

OP
OP
dcal1985

dcal1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is gonna be very helpful thread for those who are wondering how much time it takes approx. Like me lol.
I am also having a similar issue now. what is your mixed frozen food ingredients?
This is the primary food that I feed but I also do some plain mysis, etc. I was giving nori as well but with the amount of grazing he’s able to do in the display tank he’s way less interested than he was in QT.

Attachments

• 3377249E-DAB0-4C88-94D1-9D74A048D5FA.jpeg
    3377249E-DAB0-4C88-94D1-9D74A048D5FA.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
dcal1985

dcal1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick update. I see continued improvement with some of the smaller specks on the face completely healed and the larger ones shrinking.

IMG_5158.JPG

OP
OP
dcal1985

dcal1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, one more quick update. I'd say this guy is about 90%+ healed and I likely won't post any additional photos. It took just about a month from the time I moved him into the DT to the picture below.

Tang 11.28.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back