Interesting 'New' LED Light

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received two ReeFi LED lights for testing purposes. This company has been around for a while, but it is new to me, and I'm impressed with the thoughtful design. There are 72 LEDs in the array including cool white, warm white, amber, lime, blue, royal blue, violet, 420nm and 400nm, each on their own independent programmable channel. Maximum wattage is 166 watts. Moon light, cloud cover, and storm mode are also included. A glass pane protects the arrays and is not subject to degradation by UV as plastic covers are. This glass pane is mirrored on the interior surface and reflects upwelling light back into the tank. Another plus are 120 degree reflectors that blends light nicely. I placed one unit 3 inches above the water surface and found PAR to be almost 400 at the bottom of the tank and the light was not at full intensity. Hopefully I can get started on full blown testing this week. Photo 1 is the array without reflector (left) and with (right.) Photo 2 shows the luminaire without its magnetically-attached mirrored glass cover and the reflectors. Photo 3 is the mirrored glass cover.

result.jpg result1.jpg result3.jpg

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also got two of these lights, and I've had them for about 3 months, as the developer is local for me. When I first put them over my tank, all I could say was. WOW. The color is what really makes them stand out. The selling point for me on these lights is that every LED color can be controlled individually over 9 channels so you can fine tune your spectrum and get it exactly how you want it. I personally don't like overly blue tanks or the disco ball effect, and was a T5 holdout for a long time for this reason. The developer of these lights consulted with Goldenbasketreef in Portland in designing them and you can tell by the quality of the full spectrum color you get from these lights. The color I get from them reminds me of Goldenbasket's photos on Facebook. The web interface is solid and loaded with features, the reflectors do a good job of reducing lateral light spillage, and color blending is really good---no disco ball effect. Importantly, my SPS are growing very well under them. Here's a shot of the ReeFis over my frag tank. As you can see by how far up I am hanging them, they are very powerful. I am slowly moving them down on the chains, as my corals adjust, until they are about 12 inches from the water surface.

IMG_7653.jpg

Last edited:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received two ReeFi LED lights for testing purposes. This company has been around for a while, but it is new to me, and I'm impressed with the thoughtful design. There are 72 LEDs in the array including cool white, warm white, amber, lime, blue, royal blue, violet, 420nm and 400nm, each on their own independent programmable channel. Maximum wattage is 166 watts. Moon light, cloud cover, and storm mode are also included. A glass pane protects the arrays and is not subject to degradation by UV as plastic covers are. This glass pane is mirrored on the interior surface and reflects upwelling light back into the tank. Another plus are 120 degree reflectors that blends light nicely. I placed one unit 3 inches above the water surface and found PAR to be almost 400 at the bottom of the tank and the light was not at full intensity. Hopefully I can get started on full blown testing this week. Photo 1 is the array without reflector (left) and with (right.) Photo 2 shows the luminaire without its magnetically-attached mirrored glass cover and the reflectors. Photo 3 is the mirrored glass cover.

result.jpg result1.jpg result3.jpg
Dana, how deep was tank, you mentioned did par test 400. Many thanks

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dana, how deep was tank, you mentioned did par test 400. Many thanks
The tank is 24" deep, so the sensor was ~23" below the water line and ~26" from the luminaire.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, 400 par 26in away?
I've got to rebuild the PAR sensor platform. Got it partially done this afternoon, and once completed, I'll post its light distribution pattern. Will mount the light high enough to achieve a PAR value of 200 on the bottom.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got to rebuild the PAR sensor platform. Got it partially done this afternoon, and once completed, I'll post its light distribution pattern. Will mount the light high enough to achieve a PAR value of 200 on the bottom.

You better buy some stock in this company while it’s cheap. Also better watch out for those Radion guys that are snooping around your neighborhood.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mirror is a nice aesthetic touch but not sure how necessary it is, unless you are pushing whitecaps on your surface..
Glass is best since almost every plastic has a sharp cut off at 400nm.
Reflectors vs TIR or other lenses in the 80-100-ish range has always been a preference.
Stil got a fairly large 500nm "hole".. (sorry personal thing..)

Good to see the world catching up.. :)

w/ and w/out mirror measurements please..

rough estimate of overall spectrum..
duoextreme.jpg

Last edited:

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the Duo Extreme that you are talking about?

I wasn't expecting this price point after reading, almost same price point as Radions

This discussion is about the Duo Extreme, which is a high end light. They’re $750, so a little less than Radions. I think the previous poster was joking about stock in the company being cheap.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 55.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back