Interesting 'New' LED Light

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these lights look really interesting, how many would you guys do over a 4 foot tank? 2 only?

can they be added to either of the T5 hybrid options? from what i can gather they're just slightly larger than radion XR30s, but i've never used the T5 hybrid light fixtures so not sure how they'd mount in there

XR30: Dimensions - 11.8" L x 7" W x 1.5" H
Reefi: Size: 12.6″L x 8″W x 1.9″H

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these lights look really interesting, how many would you guys do over a 4 foot tank? 2 only?

can they be added to either of the T5 hybrid options? from what i can gather they're just slightly larger than radion XR30s, but i've never used the T5 hybrid light fixtures so not sure how they'd mount in there

XR30: Dimensions - 11.8" L x 7" W x 1.5" H
Reefi: Size: 12.6″L x 8″W x 1.9″H
Personally, I'd use two.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefi Extreme - 'Cool' LEDs only at max power.
1573389570193.png

How about one of these at a depth of 10in below water surface?

AlainD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dana,
I saw recently many post where people said that they add T5 to there LED Light (Radion, Kessil ...) to there SPS only tank.
Why the ReeFi Extreme does not need T5 like the other led light ?

AlainD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i ask the question because i need to change my 48 inch first gen ATI Hybrib/T5 and i need to figure out if i change for the new version (that will cost over 3000$ in canadien dollars) or i buy the best LED light and i need to know how much lamp i need and if i have to add T5. My tank is 48x24x24 and full of mature SPS.
Thanks

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure your question is very clear.
Exactly what do you now have and why do you need to change it?

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what he is saying is he needs to replace his current fixture, a gen1 ATI hybrid and is not sure if he will be happy with a high end LED only setup vs going with a new ATI hybrid.

The Reefi "reflector" lenses are unique. I think instead of beaming the light like with a typical lens they scatter the light but in a focused manner. The result for me is zero disco affect and full blending which almost looks like light from T5's but not fully.

I have a 48" tank and use two. I get 300 PAR mid tank on top of my rocks with the lights 9" above the water surface. I have room to turn them up a lot more still and I think others are running them 15" above the surface with plenty of light for SPS.

AlainD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse me, I'm not very good at English.

I have to change my first generation ATI Hybrib / 4 T5 and I want to buy a new light.

If I change to a new ATI hybrid / T5 light, it will cost me over $ 3,000. But I know that I will have a good result with this light.

If I try with Reefi light (because Dana has published a very good evaluation of this light), I want to know if it will cost me less to have the same result as that obtained with my current light.

Dana suggests buying 2 Reefi Light for a 48x24x24. It will cost me about $ 2000 (Canadian), which is cheaper than ATI hybris, but I would not want to have to add a third Reefi light or 4 T5 later to get the same result as my ATI. ? It's mostly the shading caused by my mature SPS that makes me hesitate to go with just LEDs.
Thanks

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have to change my first generation ATI Hybrib / 4 T5 and I want to buy a new light.

If I change to a new ATI hybrid / T5 light, it will cost me over $ 3,000. But I know that I will have a good result with this light.

If I try with Reefi light (because Dana has published a very good evaluation of this light), I want to know if it will cost me less to have the same result as that obtained with my current light.

Dana suggests buying 2 Reefi Light for a 48x24x24. It will cost me about $ 2000 (Canadian), which is cheaper than ATI hybris, but I would not want to have to add a third Reefi light or 4 T5 later to get the same result as my ATI. ? It's mostly the shading caused by my mature SPS that makes me hesitate to go with just LEDs.
Thanks

You’ll surely have more shading with LEDs than with t5. Whether or not its enough to hurt your corals is another matter. Several people are running large tanks with just these LED lights, so I’d bet they’ll work out for you.

They do have quite a bit of punch to them, so you can probably get away with hanging them up high for more coverage.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks

I would try two ReeFi lights. They are so powerful at their high settings, that I would be surprised if you have much shading. Because of the Reeflectors that eliminate side glare, you can hang them high over your tank in order to reduce shading.

Last edited:

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try two ReeFi lights. They are so powerful at their high settings, that I would be surprised if you have much shading. Because of the Reeflectors that eliminate side glare, you can hang them high over your tank in order to reduce shading.
Power can NOT reduce shading with point source lighting. Unless the lights are so powerful that solids become transparent. This is where MH and t5 come in. These lights with a t5 hybrid fixture is where I will probably head with my reefer 350, although MH are in my mind if two 150 watters will work. 250's become an issue with heat in the summer. This is dependent on AI pulling head out of you know what with their downgraded new lights. I do admire the warranty of these and tech support offered by the one who designed and built them.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power can NOT reduce shading with point source lighting. Unless the lights are so powerful that solids become transparent. This is where MH and t5 come in. These lights with a t5 hybrid fixture is where I will probably head with my reefer 350, although MH are in my mind if two 150 watters will work. 250's become an issue with heat in the summer. This is dependent on AI pulling head out of you know what with their downgraded new lights. I do admire the warranty of these and tech support offered by the one who designed and built them.

You can raise them up and turn up power.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power can NOT reduce shading with point source lighting. Unless the lights are so powerful that solids become transparent. This is where MH and t5 come in.

MH starts out as more of a point light source than any LED array..
Reflectors just make them less err "coherent"..
Has SOME of the same shadowing problems as LED.
thus t5/MH hybrids..

Tubes are def. different.. :)

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can raise them up and turn up power.

Yes, that was what I was getting at, but I didn't state it very clearly.
Because of the reeflectors that eliminate side glare, and the high power of the lights, you can hang them higher to reduce shading and still get good par.

Back