Interesting 'New' LED Light

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that was what I was getting at, but I didn't state it very clearly.
Because of the reeflectors that eliminate side glare, and the high power of the lights, you can hang them higher to reduce shading and still get good par.

T5 isn’t perfect either. I used to run them and still had shading. It wasn’t as bad as some led lights I’ve seen, but not perfect either.

AlainD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if I understand correctly, because of the type of reflector that are used in the ReeFI lamp, the shading problem that is caused when the SPS matures is less problematic than in other lamps using only LEDs.
That's why you do not suggest to me to add T5 or to put 3 ReeFI lamp perpendicular to the aquarium like for Radions lamps ?
My tank is 48x24x24.
Thanks

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I" wouldn't recommend you not using t5's because you are used to t5's...
If I remember it was a hybrid fixture sooo.. switching to pure T5/MH/LED will be different w/ some consequences.. regardless.

Personally reflectors are always better than lenses.. Less of a hot spot usually..
Raising lights and having more parallel rays usually eliminates some shading.
Of course the higher up the narrow of the lenses needed, or tolerance for more "spill" outside the tank and lower "PAR".
But that is sort of a mixed bag..

AlainD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, i think for me, if a go this way, the best solution will be to buy 2 Reefi extrem and and add 4 T5.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights above the water will shade surfaces without any line of sight to the light or any scattered reflective source. Having fewer angles of incidence will create MORE shading. Even purely T5 lit tanks will have SOME shading. Because light comes from above. Not below. White sand will offer some reflection. But not enough to cause polyp growth in the under side of a table acro. On my 48”x18” footprint I have 36”x18” of reflective surface for my metal
Halides and still have some hard shading with the lights at 16” off the water. With my 8x54 watt t5ho unit which was literally 48”x18” wall of light, there was underside shading. It’s simple physics

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if I understand correctly, because of the type of reflector that are used in the ReeFI lamp, the shading problem that is caused when the SPS matures is less problematic than in other lamps using only LEDs.
That's why you do not suggest to me to add T5 or to put 3 ReeFI lamp perpendicular to the aquarium like for Radions lamps ?
My tank is 48x24x24.
Thanks

If you decide to go with 3 ReeFi Duo Extremes with your 48*24*24 tank, mount them 9"-11" above the water in perpendicular to your tank length and for sure you will not need T5.

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reefers outside the US and are interested in ReeFi Duo Extremes, I have great news! I was able to negotiated much lower international shipping rates with UPS. My website now reflects the new rates.
Been thinking of getting one but have been resisting. You certainly aren't making this easy :D

(Bigger change that I was expecting, nice!)

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been thinking of getting one but have been resisting. You certainly aren't making this easy :D

(Bigger change that I was expecting, nice!)

If you are going to go with leds, these would be the ones to go with. As far as price, warranty, and par go, these are simply the best option right now. Support is unrivaled; where else can you go and have direct access to the one that created the product?

Kevin Duprey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to go with leds, these would be the ones to go with. As far as price, warranty, and par go, these are simply the best option right now. Support is unrivaled; where else can you go and have direct access to the one that created the product?
Completely agree with this. I've seen significantly improved color and growth over a Radion XR15 / T5 combo. Add onto this the aesthetics over a rimless tank without any side glare, and they are real winners in my book.

Beane71884

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading through all of this, my only hang up is the online interface. Are there any pictures that someone could share?

I currently run a XR30 G4 with a diffuser on my 65g, and although I don't have any issues with the light, I'm not exactly in love with the colors. I put a Orphek 24" actinic LED bar over my tank along with the XR30 that helps, but I still may venture out in the future. My hesitancy is still tied to the interface. I have a Reeflink, and I love how my light and pump all tie back to one platform currently.

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing, the user interface is not online. The web user interface is directly on the ReeFi Duo Extreme units themselves. You either connect directly to them or via your WiFi network.

Beane71884

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can check out the ReeFi Duo Extreme user interface simulation. Because this is just a simulation without the actual hardware, it won't save changes, report actual time, etc, but it should give you an idea of how to program it.

That seems very simple, but I really like how easy and clean it is. I was almost hoping to hate it so it would stick to what I have now! lol

Thanks for posting!

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is 30 days of growth under the reefi’s before and after. The base is fully encrusted.

0CB77E2D-78E5-4DF3-B8CC-283755C1488C.jpeg
F8A3B013-41EA-4B89-B40E-24998B799190.jpeg

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing, the user interface is not online. The web user interface is directly on the ReeFi Duo Extreme units themselves. You either connect directly to them or via your WiFi network.

Just when I made the emotional leap to upgrade from my 2 AI Hydra 26HDs to Radion XR 30 Pros.
I’d been going back and forth between a pair of the Radions or an ATI/Kessil A360X hybrid setup but then found this thread.

I’ve read all twelve pages of posts and my interest is peaked. I must admit most of it waaay above my head. I’m a relative newbie to reefing (2yrs) with a 90 gal tank that right now has a few softies and some LPS. The SPS I had all fell victim to a GFO overdose. At least that’s been the best guess from others here on R2R.
I know what PAR is but PUR and PPFD and all those wavelength graphs are above my pay grade at the moment. These lights, as well as the Radions, are probably overkill right now but I aspire to greater things and don’t see any downside to having more powerful lights than I currently need,

Couple of questions:

My tank is in the living room so aesthetics are important and I don’t want to hang my lights from the ceiling or drill wall mounts. Will the available RMS mounts work on a rimmed tank?
My other question is in regards to the user interface. Do these work similar to the AI Hydras where I download an app and then access them via computer, iPhone or iPad?

Price is not my #1 priority but it seems like I can save a few hundred bucks or so with your ReeFi units by not needing Radion diffusers or Reeflink.

I look forward to hearing from Daniel soon and special thanks to Dana Riddle and everyone in the R2R community who contributed to this informative thread.

H2Ocooled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought 1 of the Reefi Extreme for my 66G setup, its replacing a hybrid T5/LED setup, I'm excited to see the improvements in corals with this new light. The T5/Led setup works but the LED's are a little on the low side so the max PAR is less the desired and the colors I get from the LED aren't perfect.

H2Ocooled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just when I made the emotional leap to upgrade from my 2 AI Hydra 26HDs to Radion XR 30 Pros.
I’d been going back and forth between a pair of the Radions or an ATI/Kessil A360X hybrid setup but then found this thread.

I’ve read all twelve pages of posts and my interest is peaked. I must admit most of it waaay above my head. I’m a relative newbie to reefing (2yrs) with a 90 gal tank that right now has a few softies and some LPS. The SPS I had all fell victim to a GFO overdose. At least that’s been the best guess from others here on R2R.
I know what PAR is but PUR and PPFD and all those wavelength graphs are above my pay grade at the moment. These lights, as well as the Radions, are probably overkill right now but I aspire to greater things and don’t see any downside to having more powerful lights than I currently need,

Couple of questions:

My tank is in the living room so aesthetics are important and I don’t want to hang my lights from the ceiling or drill wall mounts. Will the available RMS mounts work on a rimmed tank?
My other question is in regards to the user interface. Do these work similar to the AI Hydras where I download an app and then access them via computer, iPhone or iPad?

Price is not my #1 priority but it seems like I can save a few hundred bucks or so with your ReeFi units by not needing Radion diffusers or Reeflink.

I look forward to hearing from Daniel soon and special thanks to Dana Riddle and everyone in the R2R community who contributed to this informative thread.

You will have to buy the RMS mount or use the one that Daniel sells on his site to mount it but there shouldn't be any reason that it would not work on your tank. As for the interface its just a web page the the light publishes, so after you get the lights you will set them up on wifi and then with a web browser go to the IP address that is assigned to the light (should show on the front light display). A lot easier than getting an app.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought 1 of the Reefi Extreme for my 66G setup, its replacing a hybrid T5/LED setup, I'm excited to see the improvements in corals with this new light. The T5/Led setup works but the LED's are a little on the low side so the max PAR is less the desired and the colors I get from the LED aren't perfect.

One reefi isn’t enough for a 66G tank, nor would one of any of the other led lights on the market, save for maybe a giant Orphek.

H2Ocooled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One reefi isn’t enough for a 66G tank, nor would one of any of the other led lights on the market, save for maybe a giant Orphek.
I don't know how you are determining this but from what I can see on output it should be good for my setup the tank is only 32" long and these lights should cover it just find. My current setup is 2 led with the 4 T5 bulbs. I guess I'll find out once I install them and test the PAR between my current setup and the new lights.

Also on the Orphek, from what I read they have so very bad service and dependabilty and they are more $$$ than the Reefi, so why would I go with that light over the Reefi?

Back