Interesting 'New' LED Light

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that the Gen5 Radions now incorporate lime LEDs like the ReeFis do. :cool:
I'm thinking the price on the new Radions is going to make the ReeFi Extremes look like an even better deal than before.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to ask a question about shimmer. I like it, but my wife is sensitive to flickering light and it can give her migraines. We looked at a FW planted tank the other day with kessils and she had to turn away pretty quickly. The videos posted look like these have a more muted effect - I suppose since the LED's are not as dense. But videos of lighting aren't always so accurate. For those that have them - what's your take? FYI - I don't have a lot of surface agitation, and most of it comes from a controllable powerhead, so I would not expect a lot of shimmer anyway.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReeFi Duo Extreme uses individual reflectors (ReeFlectors) so the skimmer is a lot softer unlike other LEDs using optical lenses (with mini flashlights effect). You get very pleasing soft contrast between light and dark from surface agitation with ReeFi.

also shimmer is dependent on surface movement (agitation) so don't want shimmer.. do calm surface water.. ;)

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to ask a question about shimmer. I like it, but my wife is sensitive to flickering light and it can give her migraines. We looked at a FW planted tank the other day with kessils and she had to turn away pretty quickly. The videos posted look like these have a more muted effect - I suppose since the LED's are not as dense. But videos of lighting aren't always so accurate. For those that have them - what's your take? FYI - I don't have a lot of surface agitation, and most of it comes from a controllable powerhead, so I would not expect a lot of shimmer anyway.

The shimmer from ReeFis is way less than it is for Kessils. I was looking at a Kessil the other day, and I realized that I had forgotten how strong their shimmer is. I used to think I liked that, but after having the ReeFis for about 8 months, I much prefer the ReeFi's more muted effect.

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shimmer from ReeFis is way less than it is for Kessils. I was looking at a Kessil the other day, and I realized that I had forgotten how strong their shimmer is. I used to think I liked that, but after having the ReeFis for about 8 months, I much prefer the ReeFi's more muted effect.
Coming from Kessils I agree. It was super strong, almost too strong at times. The reefi is a lot closer to the Radions with the diffuser imo.

I prefer the muted look myself.

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are the 2040 adapters for T-slot or or V-groove? Does it matter?

They are T-slot. I've custom made the 2040 adaptors to work with the 2040.

Last edited by a moderator:

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I did follow the link, but when I was looking at the end caps I noticed 2 styles, and I wanted to make sure. Thanks for the reply (3x!) - and sorry about the email address snafu.
Darn the bad luck - I'll be driving near their shop (zyltech) in a few weeks, but not when they are open.
And just fyi, I'm sure you can't go to every trade and club show, but the Houston one is coming up if that's a thing you watch for. Marsh-reef.

Have a great day.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts are, if I could afford them, I would buy 2. But I can get 2 Hydra 26hd for the price of 1 of these. Not nearly the same quality but I'm being more wary of spending for now and I'm not growing anything difficult.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts are, if I could afford them, I would buy 2. But I can get 2 Hydra 26hd for the price of 1 of these. Not nearly the same quality but I'm being more wary of spending for now and I'm not growing anything difficult.

I swapped out two hydra26hd for one of these. This is definitely the better light: more par, better control, cleaner look, 3 year warranty, and the seller is extremely fast to react to questions and issues.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m replacing my Orpheks because well they started as a nice light and turned out I mean burned out. Was leaning to Radion now I not. Kessils well I can save a couple bucks and barely meet my needs on fixtures plus the controller plus a cable. None have a 3 year warranty, and doubt I can talk with the developer/owner directly of most manufacturers. @danlu_gt you still offering $100 off the extreme?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back