Interesting 'New' LED Light

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
@danlu_gt unboxed my light today, these really are beautiful. I was almost wondering if I should be wearing white gloves :)

Question about the screws. To mount them to my existing arms I would most likely replace the 4 hook attachment thingies (scientific!) with screws and print an adapter. What type of thread are these? Are the 4 insides the same? If they were i would likely just swap them to the outside.

danlu_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
@danlu_gt unboxed my light today, these really are beautiful. I was almost wondering if I should be wearing white gloves :)

Question about the screws. To mount them to my existing arms I would most likely replace the 4 hook attachment thingies (scientific!) with screws and print an adapter. What type of thread are these? Are the 4 insides the same? If they were i would likely just swap them to the outside.
Glass/mirror makes it look very nice but easy to get finger prints on them. :)

The 4 hook attachment screws are M3 threads and so are the other 4 regular M3 screws. Yes, you can swap those screws around but do not remove all 8 at once. Best to just swap 2 at a time and tighten them down then swap out the next set. Be careful to make sure the screws are align properly so the screw threads won't get striped by accident.

danlu_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Updated firmware v3.16 available now:

• Power failure recovery extended to TimeZone changes.
  • Show latest firmware version available for download.
  • Fan speed calibration upon reboot to account for fan speed variation. Takes about 1min to complete.
  • Fixed fan profile selection.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Interesting that the Gen5 Radions now incorporate lime LEDs like the ReeFis do. :cool:
I'm thinking the price on the new Radions is going to make the ReeFi Extremes look like an even better deal than before.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
I'd like to ask a question about shimmer. I like it, but my wife is sensitive to flickering light and it can give her migraines. We looked at a FW planted tank the other day with kessils and she had to turn away pretty quickly. The videos posted look like these have a more muted effect - I suppose since the LED's are not as dense. But videos of lighting aren't always so accurate. For those that have them - what's your take? FYI - I don't have a lot of surface agitation, and most of it comes from a controllable powerhead, so I would not expect a lot of shimmer anyway.

danlu_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
I'd like to ask a question about shimmer. I like it, but my wife is sensitive to flickering light and it can give her migraines. We looked at a FW planted tank the other day with kessils and she had to turn away pretty quickly. The videos posted look like these have a more muted effect - I suppose since the LED's are not as dense. But videos of lighting aren't always so accurate. For those that have them - what's your take? FYI - I don't have a lot of surface agitation, and most of it comes from a controllable powerhead, so I would not expect a lot of shimmer anyway.

ReeFi Duo Extreme uses individual reflectors (ReeFlectors) so the skimmer is a lot softer unlike other LEDs using optical lenses (with mini flashlights effect). You get very pleasing soft contrast between light and dark from surface agitation with ReeFi.

oreo5457

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
ReeFi Duo Extreme uses individual reflectors (ReeFlectors) so the skimmer is a lot softer unlike other LEDs using optical lenses (with mini flashlights effect). You get very pleasing soft contrast between light and dark from surface agitation with ReeFi.
also shimmer is dependent on surface movement (agitation) so don't want shimmer.. do calm surface water.. ;)

Top Shelf Aquatics

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
The shimmer from ReeFis is way less than it is for Kessils. I was looking at a Kessil the other day, and I realized that I had forgotten how strong their shimmer is. I used to think I liked that, but after having the ReeFis for about 8 months, I much prefer the ReeFi's more muted effect.

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
The shimmer from ReeFis is way less than it is for Kessils. I was looking at a Kessil the other day, and I realized that I had forgotten how strong their shimmer is. I used to think I liked that, but after having the ReeFis for about 8 months, I much prefer the ReeFi's more muted effect.
Coming from Kessils I agree. It was super strong, almost too strong at times. The reefi is a lot closer to the Radions with the diffuser imo.

I prefer the muted look myself.

danlu_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
are the 2040 adapters for T-slot or or V-groove? Does it matter?
They are T-slot. I've custom made the 2040 adaptors to work with the 2040 that can be purchased from zyltech.com. I have direct link to their 2040 on my 2040 adaptor product webpage.

Corals.com