Interesting 'New' LED Light

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very interested in one of these over my 24” Waterbox cube. Do you have pics of the mounting options. I currently have two Red Sea LED 90s on the tank. I get good spread and decent growth bit I feel like some
Of the colors are muted. With both lights at 90% I get 200
Par at the bottom across most of the tank and 450 par 6” below the water. Will this light match that while delivering better spectrum ?

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very interested in one of these over my 24” Waterbox cube. Do you have pics of the mounting options. I currently have two Red Sea LED 90s on the tank. I get good spread and decent growth bit I feel like some
Of the colors are muted.

I'm coming from the led 90's myself.. I'll post some pics tomorrow for you to see the look..

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, also is there a par distribution graph? I haven’t had time to look at all 17 pages.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the colors are muted. With both lights at 90% I get 200
Par at the bottom across most of the tank and 450 par 6” below the water. Will this light match that while delivering better spectrum ?

I posted this earlier this week in my ReeFi Unboxing Review thread:

---

A fellow reefer on my local club forum just asked me what the PAR readings are for ReeFi's on full power, so I pulled out my PAR meter and took these measurements just now. My ReeFi's are 8" above the water surface.

All channels at 100%
1/4" below water surface: 902
Top of rocks, 6" below surface: 604
Sand bottom, 18" below surface: 273

Normal daytime peak lighting:
1/4" below water surface: 632
Top of rocks, 6" below surface: 404
Sand bottom, 18" below surface: 165

Here's my normal ReeFi lighting schedule where those last numbers were measured:

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 4.12.36 PM.png

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do these compare to the Radion g5 blue?
Well I’ve been reading everything I can find for feedback here. I have not read any negatives for Reefi. Radion on the other hand... lots of bad. I have been using Orphek for the last 3 or so years. I’ve decided to replace due to burning LEDs and lenses, it being know by Orphek and them wanting hundreds of $$$ to fix. So I’m done with them, was gonna go with Radions but I don’t want to have another experience like with Orphek. I do not want to spend $1000-$1500 or more on lights that may fail in days or arrive broken, cracked etc. I certainly don’t want to spend that money on lights that are manufactured in such a way that they know the quality is faulty or will greatly depreciate in about a year right when warranty expires. 3 year warranty, and direct communication from the builder makes the switch a no brainer and for me right now worth the $650 in customer service alone forge even having a light that works correctly.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was really going to hold on to my stimulus $$, you guys are making it difficult.

I'm really wanting to see the results from the Phillips Coralcare V2s, but those seem to be held up by COVID-19. Though apparently BRS has had them since December so it may be sooner rather than later. One way or another, I need lights and these are so very tempting.

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any data on the par spread/shadowing? I am very inclined to try one of these out. I love the par and the spread/diffusion of my Red Sea Reef LED 90, big their blue spectrum band is fairly narrow and I have issues with Reds/orange/yellow color being muted.

Here is how I have mine set up and this is what my tank looks like (adjusted to be similar to what i see l)

AEDDDAB3-37E5-41FA-BEEE-036CCBFBAD11.jpeg 2F97A7D9-CAD9-480C-B8D1-DE5AEC475150.jpeg

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any data on the par spread/shadowing? I am very inclined to try one of these out. I love the par and the spread/diffusion of my Red Sea Reef LED 90, big their blue spectrum band is fairly narrow and I have issues with Reds/orange/yellow color being muted.

Here is how I have mine set up and this is what my tank looks like (adjusted to be similar to what i see l)

AEDDDAB3-37E5-41FA-BEEE-036CCBFBAD11.jpeg 2F97A7D9-CAD9-480C-B8D1-DE5AEC475150.jpeg

Dana did this on Page 3

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@danlu_gt I am gonna put you on the spot here, sorry, and please there is no offense or insult intended in any way here. I’m sold on your warranty (thanks, 3 years is very reassuring). I’m sold on your responsiveness and customer support from what others have shared. ReeFlectors, control, LED choices etc A++. Annecdotal reports of build quality are great and I have read some but not a lot about user results. I’m not yet sold on longevity yet though, or the success customers have had. Here is why...

When I set up my current system in 2016 and purchased my Orpheks I new I was taking somewhat of a risk. At the time they were still not widely used in the US and all the reviews and info were for the most part good to great. However after the first two years my experience has been not good forget about great. I’ve dropped some hints here, and in another thread have been totally transparent about my gripe with Orphek, I won’t go back.

I need to replace my current fixtures, for my 120 softie/LPS tank may start moving into more sps in the future. I have narrowed down my options to Reefi or Kessil. Only pro for Kessil is longevity of product and track record. Cons are extras for lights to function and my budget will only cover 2 lights.

Why should I take another chance on a newer reef lighting company. I’m just cautious due to my experience, and issues others have been having with 2 of the largest high end reef light manufacturers products. Convince me to switch to your product. I’m there just need a little push.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@danlu_gt I am gonna put you on the spot here, sorry, and please there is no offense or insult intended in any way here. I’m sold on your warranty (thanks, 3 years is very reassuring). I’m sold on your responsiveness and customer support from what others have shared. ReeFlectors, control, LED choices etc A++. Annecdotal reports of build quality are great and I have read some but not a lot about user results. I’m not yet sold on longevity yet though, or the success customers have had. Here is why...

When I set up my current system in 2016 and purchased my Orpheks I new I was taking somewhat of a risk. At the time they were still not widely used in the US and all the reviews and info were for the most part good to great. However after the first two years my experience has been not good forget about great. I’ve dropped some hints here, and in another thread have been totally transparent about my gripe with Orphek, I won’t go back.

I need to replace my current fixtures, for my 120 softie/LPS tank may start moving into more sps in the future. I have narrowed down my options to Reefi or Kessil. Only pro for Kessil is longevity of product and track record. Cons are extras for lights to function and my budget will only cover 2 lights.

Why should I take another chance on a newer reef lighting company. I’m just cautious due to my experience, and issues others have been having with 2 of the largest high end reef light manufacturers products. Convince me to switch to your product. I’m there just need a little push.

Daniel posted the below quote on our local forum recently about the longevity of the Cree diodes in his lights. Short story---because of the monster heat sinks and high power fans in his lights the temperature doesn't get above 75C, so you shouldn't have to worry about much dimming over time, or any diodes burning out on the ReeFis. I've have mine for almost a year now, with no issues.

"From Cree's datasheet and test procedures, the XPE2 are tested 7000-8000 hrs to extrapolate the life of the LEDs. They run the tests are different case temperature and power levels. LED junction temp will be higher than the case temp at any given case temp. Cree XPE2 blue led still have at least 90% of it's intensity at 45,000hrs at 105C case temp at 500mA and 51,000hrs at 85C case temp at 1000mA full power. Unfortunately Cree do not have data beyond that.

ReeFi's thermal solution ensure the LED junction temp is always below 75C."

PhilSD211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat as fragit. Owned Orphek Compact for 3 years and had to replace burnt out diodes twice and finally bought a new upgraded PC board just recently. I hear even the new upgraded diodes will still burn out so I'm looking forward to that. =/

in the mean time, i'm looking at all other options including going to T5s..

Saw this thread the other day and Reefi intrigue me. Price is on the high side though but sounds like build/component quality are also high.

Also looking at Noopsych(sp?) and another new light i forget the name.. that was much lower price point with good reviews.. and Philips is coming out with CoralCare V2..

Guess I have a few months to decide till the Orphek burns out again.

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From my Intel days alternating between microprocessor architectures with IC design and then it's low yield root cause analysis debug, one of the major factor to early silicon IC failure is increased (and sometimes runaway) leakage current over time due to thermal stress on the P N junction. With increased leakage current, it in turn causes more heat and more heat results in even greater leakage current. This is one of the reason Intel shifted from P4 architecture to iCore architecture but I won't go into too much details. The same heat and leakage current is also a major cause of LED diode failure and decrease efficiency/intensity. There are many consideration and trade offs are made in designing a new LED fixture. Example of some trade off are between cost and aesthetic to cooling performance and size. Cree states that with their XPE2 LED diodes, system designer can operate their LED above 100C but operation life/intensity will degrade in their longevity datasheet. With ReeFi Duo series, I've incorporate many aspects of CPU heatsink design such as high active cooling surface area, copper heat spreader, vapor cooling chambers to achieve over 9 sq-ft of active cooling surface area (10x more than others) and able to maintain LED diode junction temperature below 75C even at constant full power of 216 watts. To achieve this, there are some trade offs such as higher development and production cost, much heavier unit, and slightly thicker in size. I feel like I have achieve great balance of size and aesthetic to performance but with increased weight.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From my Intel days alternating between microprocessor architectures with IC design and then it's low yield root cause analysis debug, one of the major factor to early silicon IC failure is increased (and sometimes runaway) leakage current over time due to thermal stress on the P N junction. With increased leakage current, it in turn causes more heat and more heat results in even greater leakage current. This is one of the reason Intel shifted from P4 architecture to iCore architecture but I won't go into too much details. The same heat and leakage current is also a major cause of LED diode failure and decrease efficiency/intensity. There are many consideration and trade offs are made in designing a new LED fixture. Example of some trade off are between cost and aesthetic to cooling performance and size. Cree states that with their XPE2 LED diodes, system designer can operate their LED above 100C but operation life/intensity will degrade in their longevity datasheet. With ReeFi Duo series, I've incorporate many aspects of CPU heatsink design such as high active cooling surface area, copper heat spreader, vapor cooling chambers to achieve over 9 sq-ft of active cooling surface area (10x more than others) and able to maintain LED diode junction temperature below 75C even at constant full power of 216 watts. To achieve this, there are some trade offs such as higher development and production cost, much heavier unit, and slightly thicker in size. I feel like I have achieve great balance of size and aesthetic to performance but with increased weight.

The first thing I thought of when I saw your cooling design, was the AMD/Nvidia factory-style HSF/blower assembly. A dense heatsink with a blower-style fan.

Very effective, the only downside to those was that it sounded like a jet turbine engine when it got going.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing I thought of when I saw your cooling design, was the AMD/Nvidia factory-style HSF/blower assembly. A dense heatsink with a blower-style fan.

Very effective, the only downside to those was that it sounded like a jet turbine engine when it got going.

The ReeFi fans are really quiet, though. The only trade-off I see with the ReeFi cooling design is the weight, but I can live with that.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back