Interesting 'New' LED Light

Top Shelf Aquatics
Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
@danlu_gt maybe I missed it, but your lights continue to get compared to Radion G4 which also seem to provide what has been generally accepted to be the optimal LED spectrum with the AB+ program. I have no doubt that your lights can match or get very close to what Ecotech has done. But it would be very helpful if you provided the settings to match. In addition, par values and spread in that spectrum. PLUS show us all what you get beyond the AB+ that the Radion can or cannot do besides cooling and design. What in the spectrum is going to provide better overall health for our coral and tanks in general? I’m loving what I see so far from your product and even referred to them being “sexy” in another thread. Many like myself need that extra boost of data driven information to help us over the fence. Love it or hate it, the work BRS does to showcase the lights they sell shows a clear picture of what you should expect to get for your hard earned money.

C6B9E1FD-F11D-4DDC-8E5D-57DD604F4DD6.jpeg

danlu_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
I’m curious why it looks like the majority of people are mounting around 8-9 inches. Anybody going higher say 10-12”?
It depends on your tank dimensions. If you have a narrow long tank, mounting it up higher would cause some light spillage from the front and back. For my 235gal display tank (72" x 30" x 24"h), I have them mounted 15" but I do get some slight light spillage off the left and right sides but I'm too lazy to remount them.
DLU_3074.JPG

danlu_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
@danlu_gt maybe I missed it, but your lights continue to get compared to Radion G4 which also seem to provide what has been generally accepted to be the optimal LED spectrum with the AB+ program. I have no doubt that your lights can match or get very close to what Ecotech has done. But it would be very helpful if you provided the settings to match. In addition, par values and spread in that spectrum. PLUS show us all what you get beyond the AB+ that the Radion can or cannot do besides cooling and design. What in the spectrum is going to provide better overall health for our coral and tanks in general? I’m loving what I see so far from your product and even referred to them being “sexy” in another thread. Many like myself need that extra boost of data driven information to help us over the fence. Love it or hate it, the work BRS does to showcase the lights they sell shows a clear picture of what you should expect to get for your hard earned money.

C6B9E1FD-F11D-4DDC-8E5D-57DD604F4DD6.jpeg

I don't think there's one "optimized" setting for corals in terms of spectrums or intensity. Let me try to explain... For spectrums, there are many different coral's fluorescent pigments that excite most at 400nm, 420nm, 435nm, 450nm, or 470nm. For example some of my yellow hammer looks yellowest at 470nm while some others looks yellowest/orangest at 435nm. For SPS, I've seen most looks best with 400nm to 470nm but there are a few that need fuller spectrums (lime, amber, and whites) to show their non-fluorescent colors along with fluorescent colors. Because with ReeFi Duo Extreme, you can adjust each of the 9 color LEDs separately, you can give you tank a warmer or whiter look without affecting the UV to Blues spectrums that the corals need. I usually adjust the UV and Blue channels to bring out the best fluorescent colors of my corals (either LPS or SPS) then adjust the 4 other channels (lime, pc amber, warm white and cool white) to my desire "whiter look" of the tank. This is assuming you set the intensity according to the type of corals. I've created a few default settings (LPS, SPS, and new SPS) as a guide. The Default LPS settings is very conservative in term of PAR while the 2 SPS settings should be used with acclimation mode or a PAR meter.

As for PAR values and spread, for any given settings, PAR values depends on distance from the water surface and also tank dimensions. If you tank is so big such that no significant amount of light bounce off the front, sides, or back glass to your corals then it'll get less PAR than smaller tanks at the same settings and mount height. Each of the individual reflectors in the ReeFlectors are 90deg spread, so if you mount it 10" off the water then you'll get about a spread of 24"x30" with feathered out intensity toward the outer boundary. I have some Default SPS PAR readings from my 50gal cube (24"x24"x20"h) mounted at 9.5" above the water and also PAR reading from my 235gal (72"x30"x24"h) mounted at 15" on my website. I believe Dana Riddle did some PAR distribution readings several pages back, and SuncrestReef provided some PAR readings with his settings in his thread:

As for comparing just LED diodes to Radion G4, ReeFi Duo Extreme have 72 LED diodes vs Radion's 46. ReeFi have additional 435nm spectrum that Radion do not have. Instead of using narrow band red and cyan, ReeFi uses board band pc amber and lime. Both uses warm and cool whites.

danlu_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Just curious, looking at upgrading to a 60 x 24 x 18 lagoon tank, not SpS dominate but some nice ones. Am I going to be looking at buying 3 extremes or should 2 be good.
You will still able to support your corals with 2 ReeFi Duo Extreme if you place the SPS in the right location but for even coverage, you should get 3 Extremes in perpendicular to your tank length. Check out the 2nd picture from few pages back, we installed 3 Extreme at my LFS Red Sea 650 peninsular tank:

The BEST equipment you have bought for your reef came from this category?

• Filtration

Votes: 51 13.0%
  • Testing

Votes: 42 10.7%
  • Lighting

Votes: 132 33.6%
  • Controlling

Votes: 91 23.2%
  • Water Treatment

Votes: 17 4.3%
  • Pumps

Votes: 38 9.7%