Interesting 'New' LED Light

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got them put up this morning.. Looking good!
lights 3.jpg
lights 2.jpg

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@danlu_gt maybe I missed it, but your lights continue to get compared to Radion G4 which also seem to provide what has been generally accepted to be the optimal LED spectrum with the AB+ program. I have no doubt that your lights can match or get very close to what Ecotech has done. But it would be very helpful if you provided the settings to match. In addition, par values and spread in that spectrum. PLUS show us all what you get beyond the AB+ that the Radion can or cannot do besides cooling and design. What in the spectrum is going to provide better overall health for our coral and tanks in general? I’m loving what I see so far from your product and even referred to them being “sexy” in another thread. Many like myself need that extra boost of data driven information to help us over the fence. Love it or hate it, the work BRS does to showcase the lights they sell shows a clear picture of what you should expect to get for your hard earned money.

C6B9E1FD-F11D-4DDC-8E5D-57DD604F4DD6.jpeg

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious why it looks like the majority of people are mounting around 8-9 inches. Anybody going higher say 10-12”?

It depends on your tank dimensions. If you have a narrow long tank, mounting it up higher would cause some light spillage from the front and back. For my 235gal display tank (72" x 30" x 24"h), I have them mounted 15" but I do get some slight light spillage off the left and right sides but I'm too lazy to remount them.
DLU_3074.JPG

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@danlu_gt maybe I missed it, but your lights continue to get compared to Radion G4 which also seem to provide what has been generally accepted to be the optimal LED spectrum with the AB+ program. I have no doubt that your lights can match or get very close to what Ecotech has done. But it would be very helpful if you provided the settings to match. In addition, par values and spread in that spectrum. PLUS show us all what you get beyond the AB+ that the Radion can or cannot do besides cooling and design. What in the spectrum is going to provide better overall health for our coral and tanks in general? I’m loving what I see so far from your product and even referred to them being “sexy” in another thread. Many like myself need that extra boost of data driven information to help us over the fence. Love it or hate it, the work BRS does to showcase the lights they sell shows a clear picture of what you should expect to get for your hard earned money.

C6B9E1FD-F11D-4DDC-8E5D-57DD604F4DD6.jpeg

I don't think there's one "optimized" setting for corals in terms of spectrums or intensity. Let me try to explain... For spectrums, there are many different coral's fluorescent pigments that excite most at 400nm, 420nm, 435nm, 450nm, or 470nm. For example some of my yellow hammer looks yellowest at 470nm while some others looks yellowest/orangest at 435nm. For SPS, I've seen most looks best with 400nm to 470nm but there are a few that need fuller spectrums (lime, amber, and whites) to show their non-fluorescent colors along with fluorescent colors. Because with ReeFi Duo Extreme, you can adjust each of the 9 color LEDs separately, you can give you tank a warmer or whiter look without affecting the UV to Blues spectrums that the corals need. I usually adjust the UV and Blue channels to bring out the best fluorescent colors of my corals (either LPS or SPS) then adjust the 4 other channels (lime, pc amber, warm white and cool white) to my desire "whiter look" of the tank. This is assuming you set the intensity according to the type of corals. I've created a few default settings (LPS, SPS, and new SPS) as a guide. The Default LPS settings is very conservative in term of PAR while the 2 SPS settings should be used with acclimation mode or a PAR meter.

As for PAR values and spread, for any given settings, PAR values depends on distance from the water surface and also tank dimensions. If you tank is so big such that no significant amount of light bounce off the front, sides, or back glass to your corals then it'll get less PAR than smaller tanks at the same settings and mount height. Each of the individual reflectors in the ReeFlectors are 90deg spread, so if you mount it 10" off the water then you'll get about a spread of 24"x30" with feathered out intensity toward the outer boundary. I have some Default SPS PAR readings from my 50gal cube (24"x24"x20"h) mounted at 9.5" above the water and also PAR reading from my 235gal (72"x30"x24"h) mounted at 15" on my website. I believe Dana Riddle did some PAR distribution readings several pages back, and SuncrestReef provided some PAR readings with his settings in his thread:

As for comparing just LED diodes to Radion G4, ReeFi Duo Extreme have 72 LED diodes vs Radion's 46. ReeFi have additional 435nm spectrum that Radion do not have. Instead of using narrow band red and cyan, ReeFi uses board band pc amber and lime. Both uses warm and cool whites.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any body have quick setup stats and settings in BRS style for a 48 x 24 x 24 tank. You know lights hung this high and spaced this far with these settings gives par of x at surface x at bottom ect.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this awhile ago

@SuncrestReef recently posted his par readings with his light. With the profile I’m running over my 48” tank 9.5” above the water I get 150ish par on the bottom 250-300 on top rocks 6” below the surface.

RobertP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed it but what kind of warranty comes with the lights? I could not find it on the website.

FYI, I am a T5 user but looking at LEDs. Just have a very hard time forking over that kind of money and only getting a guaranteed 1 year out of them. I want a light that lasts 10 years or more but maybe that is a pipe dream. :) Well my T5 fixture probably will...just have to replace the bulbs every 1.5 years. I have a 130 gal display currently with mostly SPS.

Last edited:

AaaRr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone running these with T5s? If so what are your thoughts on if the T5s help visually or not? I'm going from MH/T5 to LED/T5. I might do just LEDs but I am reluctant and like the combination and look T5 adds.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was pretty set on going T5s with them, but honestly after reading reviews and asking around, the T5 hybrid fixtures just don't seem great. They either have longevity issues (aquatic life) or they're expensive (geisemann) and modifications need to be made. The Geisemann is 24" wide, so the reefi's would fit by default, but then most tanks (including mine) are only 24" front to back, so how much of that light is even making it into the tank? And I was going to hang the fixture fairly high so there would be less spotlighting. The aquatic life is too narrow by default so you have to buy the 24" end plates ($25) and then from what I can gather two sets of longer mounting brackets ($15 each).

Just seems more prudent to hang/mount the reefis perpendicular to the tank and go with an additional fixture.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just seems more prudent to hang/mount the reefis perpendicular to the tank and go with an additional fixture.

That's what I just did today. I needed more light to the front and back of my Reefer XL 425, so I rotated them 90 degrees and added a 3rd light. Big improvement!

31DD359F-B59E-4BEF-80A9-51DE598FB757.jpeg

B6A67B69-9050-4ADB-9F8F-0312C7A4CDD0.jpeg

505415DA-3B8C-415B-A294-1CCA230304C4.jpeg

F5116D9E-E625-4C0A-86B0-D80FA5D02495.jpeg

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would not use the T5s with LED. A large portion of the T5 lights do not even go into the tank if mounted say 8", 10", or 12" above the water. Without a canopy, you'll ended up lighting up your room. If have the budget, add enough ReeFi Duo Extremes will give you that T5 like blanket fill light from the ReeFlectors plus be able to control each color intensity individually. With over 1000 steps of dimming steps from 0 to 100%, you can adjust for smooth gradual intensity transition or instant transition and no side glares.

You can see pictures of some setup here:

I tend to agree and I know JDA does as well. Hybrid approaches aren’t the best of both worlds. It’s a compromise between the two. Rather than adding t5’s I’d just add more leds.

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I just did today. I needed more light to the front and back of my Reefer XL 425, so I rotated them 90 degrees and added a 3rd light. Big improvement!

31DD359F-B59E-4BEF-80A9-51DE598FB757.jpeg

B6A67B69-9050-4ADB-9F8F-0312C7A4CDD0.jpeg

505415DA-3B8C-415B-A294-1CCA230304C4.jpeg

F5116D9E-E625-4C0A-86B0-D80FA5D02495.jpeg
Great looking setup. I definitely would mount fixtures like this front to back and go for an extra unit. This is a good example of how many units are needed to get the coverage and reduced shadows. Another example I like is the BRS 750XL I think it is, with 10 XR15s over it. Gotta add the extra pucks when going all LED is my feeling. This thinking is also leaning more towards SPS dominant set ups too though.

Back