Interesting 'New' LED Light

Jeremy P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my eyes on these for a new build for awhile but I’m wondering about the strength of the white leds. I prefer a 10-12K look during most of the lighting period. On my current tank which has a pair of ai primes, if I turn up the whites beyond 20% I start burning coral. Even at 20% some are bleaching a little bit. That means that in order to get the look I like, I have to turn the blue way down which has affected par.

If anyone has been running the whites higher, I would be interested in hearing how the coral have responded.

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resurrecting the thread - hopefully someone will respond.

The Reefi Duo Extreme are on my short list of options (probably 4) and wanted to check on feedback on these lights
Are people still running them?
What are their observations/feedback on them?

Most people seem to love them, but the main complaint is 'too blue/not enough white'. Can anyone confirm this? Any issues with build quality?

Thanks

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Resurrecting the thread - hopefully someone will respond.

The Reefi Duo Extreme are on my short list of options (probably 4) and wanted to check on feedback on these lights
Are people still running them?
What are their observations/feedback on them?

Most people seem to love them, but the main complaint is 'too blue/not enough white'. Can anyone confirm this? Any issues with build quality?

Thanks

where have you seen that? There’s plenty of settings for white. Contrary to that, I’ve read complaints of not enough royal blue.

personally, I am 99% happy with the LED. It’s beautiful , great customer service and powerful. My only complaint is the glass pane falling due to weight. I was sent brackets/clips to hold it together (not the ideal solution but oh well). I also placed an order for the ReeFi Uno during preorder… zero regrets.

Uno- 20gl Nuvo mixed qt tank
Duo Extremes- 2 over a reefer 525 mixed reef on the higher PAR for sticks frags.

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where have you seen that? There’s plenty of settings for white. Contrary to that, I’ve read complaints of not enough royal blue.

personally, I am 99% happy with the LED. It’s beautiful , great customer service and powerful. My only complaint is the glass pane falling due to weight. I was sent brackets/clips to hold it together (not the ideal solution but oh well). I also placed an order for the ReeFi Uno during preorder… zero regrets.

Uno- 20gl Nuvo mixed qt tank
Duo Extremes- 2 over a reefer 525 mixed reef on the higher PAR for sticks frags.

Thanks for the response. I saw the comment regarding "too blue" in another thread regarding the Uno. I've seen it a couple of times now in some spots. Im not particularly concerned about that feedback as its largely subjective. For me its not necessarily the 'look' as it is how healthy it is for the reef system and its inhabitants.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Unos are more blue than the Duo Extremes. If run at 100%, the Duo Extremes probably sit at 10-12K.

I've had them for over a year now, and my Duo Extremes have had no issue lighting a 36x24x24 tank.
Reef Smaller-Sized.jpg

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Unos are more blue than the Duo Extremes. If run at 100%, the Duo Extremes probably sit at 10-12K.

I've had them for over a year now, and my Duo Extremes have had no issue lighting a 36x24x24 tank.
Reef Smaller-Sized.jpg

Thanks for the response!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have heard from a handful of persons using these lights and from the most part- feedback has been positive

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef Smaller-Sized.jpg

while I run orphek and would get it again I know this tank personally and the color of the lights are beautiful. The lime and pc amber bring out crisp white better than any fixture not using them imo. He likes his photos dark and r2r darkens them up more, but I don’t think anyone would be disappointed with the whites on the duo extreme. Besides one can just lower the blues a bit if it was that big of issue. Most people are not going to be running these at 100% intensity.

RhinoNM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 6 of them and couldnt be happier. These have enough power to project what ever color you want. I highly doubt anyone will run one @ 100% (they would fry everything beneath it) so you have plenty of power to create the color you want. Hope that makes sense. Love that they mount easily with 2040 parts.

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 6 of them and couldnt be happier. These have enough power to project what ever color you want. I highly doubt anyone will run one @ 100% (they would fry everything beneath it) so you have plenty of power to create the color you want. Hope that makes sense. Love that they mount easily with 2040 parts

I'm looking into these lights right now. How much "shimmer" do you get with the Unos? How do you feel the spread is?

RhinoNM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is shimmer but it is on the lighter side...color blending is exceptional, no disco on the sand. Shimmer is similar to a Radion gen 5 imo. The spread isn't very wide at lower light height. The good news is you can raise them up and still have enough par on the sand, mine are at 11" above the water line. They give you spread info on their site.

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is shimmer but it is on the lighter side...color blending is exceptional, no disco on the sand. Shimmer is similar to a Radion gen 5 imo. The spread isn't very wide at lower light height. The good news is you can raise them up and still have enough par on the sand, mine are at 11" above the water line. They give you spread info on their site.
Excellent! Thanks much for taking the time reply back. So far, Daniel has been top notch with information and assistance (like everyone said). Just a few things which are hard to see/show without reaching out to people with first hand experience.

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One thing I just thought about is the blues on the duo are not as royal like the updated Unos.
I have 2 Extremes on my 525 and 1 Uno on my Nuvo 20 frag and although it’s noticeable, the extremes still have nice blues.

just thought I’d throw that out there, still happy with my extremes.

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I just thought about is the blues on the duo are not as royal like the updated Unos.
I have 2 Extremes on my 525 and 1 Uno on my Nuvo 20 frag and although it’s noticeable, the extremes still have nice blues.

just thought I’d throw that out there, still happy with my extremes.
Are the blues more "royal" on the Uno?

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are the blues more "royal" on the Uno?
Yes. They are deeper. Extremes are more of a cool blue. Describing w/words makes it seem like the extremes don’t show a nice pop w/blues, they do. Can’t go wrong with either light tbh.

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone compared them to the radion g5 or 6?
8940296E-DF29-4253-BF4E-AF7EFF2A415A.jpeg

this is as close as you can get. This is from Teleghram from YouTube. This is comparing a Duo (the bigger Reefi) to the Sky. The Duo is a better light spectrum wise, but I would bet it’s not as good as spread.

Spectrum UNO is better than G5 and G6, especially in the 400 nm range. though I would personally want more cyan from the uno. I like the G5 better if I had to pick between g5 or g6. As the g5 has cyan left in.

spectrum wise, the UNO 2.0 is out. I have a UNO 1.0 and personally I’d get a UNO 2.0 before I would get a G5 or G6. As the UNO is over all a better value. It’s not going have have the same spread, but the spectrum is far superior in my opinion, especially over the G6.

Attachments

• 326EDEFF-CD66-4186-A906-F70814574466.png
    326EDEFF-CD66-4186-A906-F70814574466.png
    163.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 9CFBE271-0BED-4303-9B41-924B6578ED7D.jpeg
    9CFBE271-0BED-4303-9B41-924B6578ED7D.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 46

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this detail, but isn't the uno2 too much blue?on the video I saw they look very bit pink- violet,kind of red sea? It look weird particularly on fish,the tanks look orange instead of yellow.
The g4 gave much better results than the g5 maybe the violet?
Can't find the video on you tube can you share the link?

Last edited:

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this detail, but isn't the uno2 too much blue?on the video I saw they look very bit pink- violet,kind of red sea? It look weird particularly on fish,the tanks look orange instead of yellow.
The g4 gave much better results than the g5 maybe the violet?
Can't find the video on you tube can you share the link?

I am not aware of an UNO 2.0 video. The UNO 1.0 actually isn’t blue enough for me. I do find the full spectrum to be pinkish purple but that’s from too much amber mixing with blue. I think the 2.0 addresses that with more 450 nm and 470spectrum. I am sure I would love the 2.0. Lots of unique features like multi color LED’s which save space and produce better spectrum blending. Wish it was a bit larger panel. I understand Reefi’s idea to use existing parts to keep costs down. It’s a great light for the money.

honestly the g4 is a legendary light, but I would totally take an UNO 2.0 over that light. Better spread and spectrum. Crushes it for par output.

as for color — the camera sensors tend to get really blown out with blue. They don’t look that purple in real life. It’s straight up blue. In full spectrum it’s whitish but not like 14k white. It’s different. You really don’t care when your corals are growing.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back