Interesting option for QT tanks - feasible?

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody, I was looking around for tanks that I could use to keep a tang in short term.

I came across these Little Giant branded stock tanks. They have great dimensions for larger fish plus eliminates the square corners.

If it were connected to the main system somehow that would seem reasonable to place the fish in right away (I'm using it to separate fish due to aggression not actual disease treatment), but if it were a standalone tank like a QT with just some pieces of PVC in it for hiding spots, then how long do you typically need to wait for a cycle to be complete after adding something like biospira?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear, how long would the fish be in this separate stock tank? Assuming you aren't treating the fish, any reason you wouldn't move any biological media or something with sufficient surface area/porosity to give the bacteria a place to colonize or something that could already process ammonia?

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, sorry this thread got away from me. I'm potentially looking into this tank again to put a yellow tang that I have not seen eat in over 3 weeks. He's definitely got a pinched belly and the rare darting motion. I'm more surprised he's still alive having not eaten in so long.

I have API general cure on hand. Mainly wondered if I set this tank up with new saltwater and PVC what the negative outcome would be. Do you just treat with prime and it's good to go for this purpose? I could throw a piece of live rock in there but I don't have much of it to spare. Also not sure how that works with treating the tank with meds then putting it back later.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back