Pros: FREAKING AWESOME

Cons: hard work, dedication, animals are very expensive, harder upkeep

Macro algae and natural looking softies tank, with slow moving fish

Pros: different, allows for freedom and cool species, pqticular fish

Cons: Not extremely different

Leaf scropion nano tank:

Pros: predator fish, nano, personality

Cons: expensive upkeep, hard to get fish locally

I want some other neat ideas, only parameter is under 50 gals as it would be in a bedroom! Thanks for any input

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With boredom, and a already setup reef tank, comes need for new stipulation

I want to setup a saltwater tank that is interesting, some ideas I've had

Seahorses ( I've researched them well)

Leaf scropion nano tank:

I want some other neat ideas, only parameter is under 50 gals as it would be in a bedroom! Thanks for any input
Maybe try a tank for a harlequin filefish? Some members had success keeping them with ease.
If I had to choose I would go with a seahorse and pipefish tank.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Leaf scropion nano tank:

Jellyfish tank?

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did seahorses for 14 years, I bred 7 species; they are fun. Honestly the tanks aren't any more maintenance then a reef tank, seahorse tank keepers just ***** more. You just have to set the tank up as a seahorse tank and not a reef tank. The setup is very different. Low temp, high flow but through spray bars, etc.

The thing with seahorses for me was when they were eating live food, it was awesome. Their snick turns a live shrimp into dust they blow out their gills. It's pretty incredible. But to keep them long term, and to keep the cost down everyone feeds them frozen food, which really doesn't do it for me.

Macro tanks are cool too, but after it is dialed in the only maintenance is trimming the alage. I have shrubs in front of the house that require trimming, it became hard to see the difference. If you get in to it get all the slow growers you want, and then get one really fast grower. Then you can trim the fast one every few days and the tank will behave better.

Having been in the hobby 22 years now the only tanks I think about doing are cold water that I could collect for locally, and NPS tanks.

NPS is probably where I will go next. The equipment is out there now to do it right. You'll save the few hundred on a light, but instead put it into filters and a peristaltic feeding pump to constantly feed them. The tanks and inhabitants are very interesting and fun to watch.

Just find something you enjoy, and enjoy it. A buddy of mine had a pulsing xenia tank. Wasn't my thing but him and his kids loved it. There are a lot of ways to go, just find something you like.

Cheers

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Leaf scropion nano tank:

Hello. I have a 4 ft tank that is practically brand new only ran for 5 months and is 70 gallons. Comes with everything you need to get Started. Are you interested?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of good ideas here already, but you could also do something like a dwarf mudskipper tank (brackish rather than full marine) too - they have a ton of personality.

If you like inverts, you could do an invert specific tank (lots of people do anemone gardens). Something like a predatory snail tank, a giant hermit tank, or a shrimp/crab/lobster/mantis shrimp tank could be fun. You could even keep a "commercial" shrimp species if you wanted (they can get really big, so this could be fun and challenging). As a note here, there are some really cool, coldwater inverts.

Another option you could do is a commensal/symbiotic relationship tank with things like clowns and nems, gobies and pistol shrimp, clown gobies and acros, green banded gobies and urchins, milk conch and conch fish (these pairs are rare, but they show up on Diver's Den from time to time), emperor shrimp and sea cucumbers, etc.

The only other option I can think of right now is a camouflage tank where it would be sort of a game to spot the inhabitants, but some people could find this counterproductive to the point of keeping a tank. (I actually know more fish for this in coldwater than tropical [though there are plenty of tropical species that would work for this too], but I'm not sure how many would work in a fifty gallon - something like a kelp forest theme would be really cool for this though).

Great thread!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back