Intermittent Wifi Issues

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My GHL Profilux Controller has become almost unusable today. Over the last couple of months, the controller's Wifi (online and hotspot) has been becoming more intermittent. Today it has been almost unusable. Over the last couple of weeks, I have tried their troubleshooting guide and reboots several times with nothing really helping.

Anyone else having this problem or have a solution? I opened a ticket with GHL, but their response and trouble-shooting often take days...

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of WiFi do you have in your house? My experience is that the WiFi chip in the controller is either dated or inexpensive. It does not work with 5.0ghz networks or mesh networks. I ended up buying an el-cheapo Wifi extender that runs only 2.5ghz and put it near the tank and the issue went away.

If you search my name in the GHL forums you'll see I did quite a bit of extensive network troubleshooting on this topic.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of WiFi do you have in your house? My experience is that the WiFi chip in the controller is either dated or inexpensive. It does not work with 5.0ghz networks or mesh networks. I ended up buying an el-cheapo Wifi extender that runs only 2.5ghz and put it near the tank and the issue went away.

If you search my name in the GHL forums you'll see I did quite a bit of extensive network troubleshooting on this topic.

So the GHL Controller Hotspot is just as intermittent now. So I'm thinking it's not my network.

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the GHL Controller Hotspot is just as intermittent now. So I'm thinking it's not my network.
I never had luck with that. It was also spotty for me. Support told me there was too much interference even when my laptop was literally 5 feet away from the controller. I put a WiFi packet sniffer on my network to show there was not enough interference to cause problems.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Moved it to my 2.4GHZ band.

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're intersted - Read here:

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're intersted - Read here:

What's interesting is that my issues have gotten worse over time. I have switched to my old router that supports my Kessil lights as Kessil can't deal with Mesh or 5GHZ. I'll see if that improves...

Last edited:
OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bdare Your advice was spot on. I switched and haven't had a drop since. You're way faster than GHL!!!

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is not true. My network consists of a Arris SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 Modem and Netgear Orbi WiFi 6 RBK852 Mesh Router (Router & Satellite). I'm on xfinity as a provider.
GHL will only run on 2.4ghz. I don't have any issues connecting to my P4, or either of my (2) LX-7206 lights remotely using the GHL Connect app, myGHL web page from work (desktop), or on my local network when at home to the built in web server pages.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not true. My network consists of a Arris SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 Modem and Netgear Orbi WiFi 6 RBK852 Mesh Router (Router & Satellite). I'm on xfinity as a provider.
GHL will only run on 2.4ghz. I don't have any issues connecting to my P4, or either of my (2) LX-7206 lights remotely using the GHL Connect app, myGHL web page from work (desktop), or on my local network when at home to the built in web server pages.

I'm not sure what to tell you. My problem went away by switching to my old 2.4GHZ network. Anytime I switch back to my mesh network Profilux goes intermittent.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back